Election 101 for Devyn

Friday, October 10, 2008 1 Comments A+ a-

On Tuesday night, Devyn and I sat down together to watch the presidential nominees debate. Granted, she’d rather have been watching a cartoon or a Disney movie but was content to sit next to me on the couch and cuddle our way through what we both deemed, “a very boring debate”. At point, Devyn even turned to me and said, “Mama, this is hard to watch.” I laughed so hard and whole-heartedly agreed with her.

She was curious about what we were watching and as best as I could, hopefully on a level she could understand at 3-almost-4-years-old. I told her who the men were, that they each hoped to be president of our country, and that they were taking turn trying to convince us to vote for them. As she repeated the names over and over again, “Barack Obama” and “John McCain” (quite clearly for her age), she asked me who I liked. Let’s just say that I made it very clear who I was voting for and why; poor thing got quite the list. She just nodded her head and continued to sit with me through the rest of the debate. (I think that earns her some kind of “Young Citizen Award”, don’t you think?)

Fast forward to last night, we had Aunt Christine and our friend, Annie, over for the evening when the Saturday Night Live – Thursday Election Recap came on after The Office. We laughed as they parodied the debate and one of my favorite parts was when Devyn looked at me in confusion and said, “That’s not Barack Obama!” I assured her she was right and laughed again when, still in utter confusion, she pointed out that, “That’s not John McCain either!” Yes, she’s that smart and that observant. We can’t say anything in front of her, or even within earshot, any more.

And by the way, did anyone else catch the “Really?!” section on SNL’s Weekend Update segment? Hysterical!

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

1 comments:

Write comments
Aspiemom
AUTHOR
8:30 PM delete

I can't believe she endured the debate and could recognize the "imposters" no less! What a smart kid!

Reply
avatar