Bidding Adieu and Other Things

Wednesday, October 01, 2008 5 Comments A+ a-

Yesterday afternoon we laid Jon’s dear great-aunt, Cliffa, to rest. She died unexpectedly last Thursday from a heart attack and her funeral was yesterday; Jon, his brothers, and cousins were pall-bearers.

Aunt Cliffa never married and adopted her sibling’s children, grandchildren, and even great-grandchildren as surrogates. She was a quirky woman, one who always made us laugh and constantly had a camera in her hands. Her absence will be deeply felt at upcoming family holiday meals!

.......................................................................


In the midst of cleaning out Aunt Cliffa’s belongings, Jon’s grandparents came across this photo.


Since his birth, I have heard over and over again how much Hudson looks like Jon. Yet it took this picture for me to realize how Hudson is the spitting-image of his dad. In fact, Devyn, my own father, and Jon’s grandparents thought the photo was of Hudson. It’s a little creepy!

.......................................................................


I received some wonderful news about work this morning. I have been living in a constant state of unknown, which is a huge stressor for me. The unknown of… Is part-time still on the table? What will my schedule be? Are my duties changing? Will that impact my salary? And the questions went on.

However, for one of the first times in my life, I was able to lay it at God’s feet. I knew that I was being obedient in deciding to go part-time and I knew God would honor that decision. Sure enough, God provided. I will be considered full-time through my maternity leave (which is great for leave accruals, salary, and benefits). Upon my return I will go to 20 hours/week, with my desired schedule of 2 and ½ days a week, and I will be allowed to maintain my current salary.

While I still trust that God is in control, it feels SO good to have a plan in place!

.......................................................................

Jon and I were blessed (and I mean BLESSED) with a wonderful gift. One hates to benefit from the death of a loved one, and we wish that Aunt Cliffa still was here with us, but we feel so lucky to have this as a reminder of her in our home.

Isn’t it beautiful?! I have been drooling over these for a while but always knew that the price range made it unattainable. I am sure we'll put this gift to good use!

.......................................................................

This little one that is growing and resting inside me is becoming more active every day. It is getting to the point where Hudson can't comfortably sit in my lap anymore; I promise to post a new belly picture soon. But for those that have been wondering, we have definitely decided on our new boy name. We both love it and I highly doubt we’ll be changing our minds again.

And since we’re not changing our minds, we’re excited to announce that if this should be a boy, we’ll be naming him Gavin Jonathan. I so wish that we were open with last names on here because every time I say the full name, someone says, “That sounds like a movie-star name.” I don’t know about that, but I think it’s a very strong name and a perfect fit for this family.

.......................................................................

And for those that thought the picture of the woman screaming was me, thank you! Actually, it's just a photo I found online and I thought it was an accurate portrayal of the way I was feeling at that moment.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

5 comments

Write comments
Wendy
AUTHOR
3:58 PM delete

that picture definitely looks like hudson!

you will love the kitchenaid. i don't know how i ever lived w/out mine. i use it all the time. if you're making bread and have the dough hook attachment, it works perfect.

Reply
avatar
Aspiemom
AUTHOR
4:37 PM delete

Yep, looks like him!

I just looked back and saw that I wrote "You look pretty when you are smiling" and meant "screaming". lol And it wasn't even you!

I have a Kitchen Aid Mixer that's about 14 years old now and love it. (I can't believe how time flies, I could have sworn it's only been a few years.)

Reply
avatar
Amy...
AUTHOR
9:39 PM delete

Oh my goodness...that is creepy! :) But actually so cool how much they look alike. God and his creation, genetics and all--it is so amazing!

So great to hear about the job, Jenn. And to think we just talked about the unknowns this morning. I could really hear the peace in your voice. I'm so glad we got a chance to talk! love you...Amy

Oh, and the mixer...so jealous!

Reply
avatar
Jenn
AUTHOR
7:32 AM delete

They do look so similar. My baby pictures look alot like my kids too, although I look different now.

It is a great boys name, and it goes really well with your other kids names too.

Jenn

Reply
avatar
Amy...
AUTHOR
3:06 PM delete

and I forgot to mention...I love Gavin. Very cool!

Reply
avatar