Placenta - What?

Tuesday, September 02, 2008 8 Comments A+ a-

Thank you, dear family and friends, for the well-wishes, thoughts and prayers in regards to our latest pregnancy news. I especially love all the encouraging stories and am earnestly following a couple of other blogs with the same diagnosis.

However, it appears that placenta previa is a little more serious than I was originally led to believe and am now on "pelvic rest" according to my doctor. Basically this means I should be taking it as easy as possible, as well as some other restrictions. Apparently, with the placenta covering the birth canal and cervix, the cervix is more easily irritated and pre-term labor is common. Hence, the need for "light to moderate" duty; we'll do anything to avoid bed rest for this mama. (Of course, I'll do whatever it takes to ensure the health and safety of this baby if the need arises!)

A little more on my condition… There are a few different types of placenta previa; there's a low-lying previa which means that the placenta is lying close to the cervix; there's partial-previa meaning the placenta is partially covering the cervix and birth canal; and then there's complete previa, meaning the placenta is fully covering the cervix and birth canal. Guess which one I have? Yep, the complete previa-one, which will make it a little harder for it to move completely out of the way but like the comments have said, "What's a little placenta compared to the mountains our God can move?!" Hear, hear!

I really am doing ok at this point, although I am anxious for my appointment with my regular OB on Friday and anxious to hear her more thorough thoughts on all of this. I only got a brief phone call on Friday afternoon with my new restrictions via her nurse, but haven't actually talked to the doctor myself.

And as I said in the last post, I'm walking a fine-line between preparing myself for a c-section and praying that God will move that placenta out of the way. This pregnancy has had lesson after lesson for this mama, first the surprise pregnancy and now what could be a surprise ending. I'm learning some big lessons that there is someone else in control of both my life and the life of this baby. And guess what? I'm becoming more secure and peaceful in that knowledge.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

8 comments

Write comments
CPT Mom
AUTHOR
1:37 PM delete

Yay. Rest in the knowledge, Jenn.

Reply
avatar
Kamma
AUTHOR
2:39 PM delete

Thank you so much for being so emotionally open here and sharing all that God is doing in your life. I love to hear it. Just wanted you to know I've been thinking about you, I love you and miss you! Kamma

Reply
avatar
Haley
AUTHOR
3:58 PM delete

Jenn you will be in our thoughts and prayers! You try and get some rest!

Reply
avatar
AndiMae
AUTHOR
4:25 PM delete

I'm praying for you and your sweet little one! I'm sorry that you have to deal with all of that right now- resting is not easy when you have two other kids keeping you on your toes!

I still can't believe that you guys are having another munchkin! He/she is so beautiful in the ultrasound photos- and I am so proud of you for waiting to find out the gender :) I know it is super hard to wait, but it will be the coolest thing ever when you get to met him/her face to face!

Reply
avatar
Jaime
AUTHOR
8:48 PM delete

So glad you're taking all this with a trusting heart! I, too, had complete previa. I also had major time bleeding too because we hadn't done an ultrasound yet, didn't know I had previa, and hadn't put me on 'pelvic rest' soon enough. And, yes, as you know, because of this,I ended up on bed rest as well. But, as bad as that all was, it had a great, happy ending, with the placenta completely moving, and Baby Noah being born normally. You're fortunate to have caught yours in time to hopefully prevent any problems. Still praying for you! Take it easy :)

Reply
avatar
Wendy
AUTHOR
7:46 AM delete

praying for you and your sweet little one!

Reply
avatar
Melissa King
AUTHOR
10:33 AM delete

I had this with Cody and it took care of itself eventually. I know exactly what pelvic rest means and I wish Jon luck for the next 20 weeks! :)
Thinking of you and praying for a safe delivery and healthy baby...however it comes!
Love you guys!

Reply
avatar
8:02 PM delete

Life has been busy with homeschooling and such, so I haven't been commenting as much on blogs. But, I want you to know that I am praying for you and your sweet baby!

Reply
avatar