Coming Full Circle

Thursday, September 18, 2008 7 Comments A+ a-

We hit a milestone last night! Devyn and I went with our friends, Cassie and her daughter, Addison, to a church not far from our house to register the girls for this year’s Awana’s Club. This isn’t our home church, ours is a good 30-minute drive from our house. But this is perfect because a) its so close to home and b) Devyn will start meeting some of the other children her age in our town.

For those that aren’t aware of Awana Clubs, they are a great organization whose goal is “Helping churches and parents worldwide raise children and youth to know, love, and serve Christ.” Each week Devyn will be dropped off for an hour and a half of play time, story time, crafts, music, and learning about Jesus. Both Jon and I attended Awana clubs as children (not at the same church), and I can’t tell you how many fond memories I have of those weekly meetings.

In fact, about a month ago I was at a friend’s wedding where guests were tasked with coming up with a song that reminds them of the bride and groom. Surprisingly, I recognized many former Awana leaders and fellow Awana attendees at the wedding. One group got up and starting singing the Sparkies theme song. Instantly, the words came rushing back and I found myself singing along (obviously under my breath so no one could hear me). It was surprising to see how fast the words and the tune came back to me!

It was equally as surprising to find myself walking Devyn into the registration room and signing my own daughter up for Awanas. Since Devyn is a preschooler, she is not old enough to be a Sparky yet but will start out at the Cubbies level. I was never a Cubbie but Christine, Allison, and Courtney were all Cubbies, and as Devyn and I looked over her Cubbie handbook, complete with verses to memorize and stories to tell, a major case of déjà vu came over me. How is my daughter old enough for this already?!

And then as I was searching for a Cubbie picture to attach to this post, I came across the Cubbie theme song and started laughing. I have SO many memories of singing this song with Courtney over and over again, when Courtney was just three and four years old. (I wish I had a picture of Courtney in her blue, Cubby vest.) Do you remember the song, Court? Oh man, we’ve come full circle, haven’t we?!
Cubbies Song
We are Awana Cubbies,
we’re happy all day long.
We know that Jesus loves us!
That’s why we sing this song.
We hop because we’re happy
and we jump and shout for joy.
For Jesus is a friend to us.
He loves each girl and boy.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

7 comments

Write comments
4:12 PM delete

I have never heard of Awana! Can you believe that? I will look into that for Kay. Thanks!

Reply
avatar
4:12 PM delete This comment has been removed by the author.
avatar
Wendy
AUTHOR
4:43 PM delete

my kids love awanas!

Reply
avatar
7:43 PM delete

Do you remember the three little blond Janelle boys along with you on those Thursday nights? Your Mom got us started in Awanas - GREAT program that the boys loved. Yep, I remember the songs too :-)

Reply
avatar
CPT Mom
AUTHOR
8:32 PM delete

I love it!

Reply
avatar
Courtney
AUTHOR
9:39 PM delete

When you called to sing the song to me I instantly felt like I was right back in our church auditorium. Makes you kind of want to be a kid again.

Reply
avatar
Courtney
AUTHOR
9:39 PM delete

When you called to sing the song to me I instantly felt like I was right back in our church auditorium. Makes you kind of want to be a kid again.

Reply
avatar