Three Special Mornings

Monday, August 04, 2008 5 Comments A+ a-

I’ve been reflecting on this pregnancy a lot this past weekend. If I let myself, I can get a little overwhelmed at the thought of having a four-year-old, an almost-two-year-old, and a newborn. While I know its going to be a busy and stretching few years, I also know that our lives are going to be richly blessed by the new addition. And this baby seems to be making his or her presence more known every day by the movements within my own body. There is nothing I love more than feeling the small rolls, kicks, and stretches of a new little life; I don’t think that it is something I could ever take for granted, no matter how many children I had. I’ve being thinking and reflecting on my three babies, the days that we found out that they’d be joining our family, and how each one was so special and unique in their own way.

Devyn Paige
When Jon and I decided to start trying for children, I did all the research about the available insurance plans, I talked to my doctor about trying to conceive, I took the suggested vitamins, etc. I had all my t’s crossed and my i’s dotted, a plan was in place, and we were ready to roll. We were lucky that it didn’t take us long at all to conceive, but it felt like forever. That cycle I started testing as soon as I could and was starting to get discouraged by all the negative results. By that last morning, I was fed up and was certain that it hadn’t happened this cycle. I went into the bathroom and grudgingly took out the pregnancy test, knowing that it too was going to be negative. At this point, I was just ready for the next cycle to start and was getting a little upset that it was taking its time coming. I finished up and sat on the toilet as I waited for the test results to appear in the window, again so sure that I was about to get my negative result. Instead, a light, faint second pink line appeared and my heart jumped into my chest. Granted, you had to tilt the stick just right and squint with one eye but there was a line!! I bounced on Jon, who was still fast asleep at 6:00 in the morning to shove the stick under his nose and ask him if he saw the same line I did. His need to keep us on earth did little to curb my own enthusiasm, I was that sure of that faint pink line. And nine months later Miss Devyn Paige came into the world!

Hudson Jonathan
My sisters and I are two years and three months apart (with the exception of Courtney Nicole who came two years and five months after Allison) and Jon and his older brother Josh were the same age apart, so that time frame sounded good to us! Prior to the month we wanted to start trying, I went through our list. Vitamins, check… insurances, check… little t-shirt announcing Devyn was going to be a big sister, check…and when Devyn Paige turned 18 months old, we started trying for our next one. This time around I was little more patient as I waited to test and didn’t waste stick after stick. I carefully watched for any little signs or symptoms and catalogued them in my little brain. The day before I tested, I was a bridesmaid in my friend, Marianne’s, wedding. There we were on a hot June day, standing out in the sun taking pictures and chasing Devyn around the grounds of the church. It was then that I first noticed that I was a little dizzy and breathless. After pictures we were treated to a nice lunch at the Olive Garden with the bride, groom, the rest of the bridal party, and their families. I sat at the table, felt my heart beating much faster than normal and ate much more than I usually do. I knew in that moment what a test had not yet confirmed, I was pregnant. The next morning, I couldn’t wait any longer and I pulled out the test. I was right! I was determined that this time around, I’d tell Jon in a special way, no stick shoving in his face. But that resolve did not last long and Jon was told over a quick bite at Burger King. The smile that spread across his face was so worth not being able to wait.

Baby #3 - Folks, we have our “BIG” ultrasound in three weeks. If we still do not know what we’re having after that ultrasound, I have decided that I need a new name to call this one until they arrive. Baby #3 is a little mundane and boring, don't you think?
And then there is Baby #3. Honestly, Baby, we were hoping for you and we were praying about you, but the thought never crossed my mind that you would come without my usual preparations and planning. But obviously, God had other plans! I honestly, truly never thought that I was pregnant. I never had any signs or symptoms, but then again, I wasn’t looking for any either. Looking back on that time, there was some light cramping off and on the week before, but nothing to raise a red flag. My sister, Christine, was the one who encouraged me to buy a pregnancy test and I did it on a whim, as a way to convince both Christine and myself that I wasn’t. The test went into the grocery cart without a thought. As Jon, the kids, and I made our way out to the car with our cart full of groceries, I do remember thinking, “How weird would it be to be pregnant right now? We’d already be a family of five.” That night I exchanged text messages with Christine and reassured Jon that I really wasn’t pregnant as the cramping was getting stronger and I was sure to start any day now. The rest of the story you all know… I woke the next morning, took the test to reassure us all, and handed the stick to Hudson without even looking at the results. Now when Jon and I look back on that morning, we think this may have been the most enjoyable way to find out we were pregnant because it was a surprise to all of us.

Three mornings, three positive tests, and our lives were never the same. We are so incredibly thankful for our blessings and certainly wouldn’t change a thing about the circumstances of each. All three were very much wanted and all three mornings will forever be etched in my mind as special memories. As this baby continues to grow and move within me, I find myself getting more anxious to meet him or her. And I find myself wondering what God has planned for this little life that is our “surprise”.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

5 comments

Write comments
Anonymous
AUTHOR
2:10 PM delete

Trece... you should call the baby trece.

Reply
avatar
Jill Davis
AUTHOR
9:18 PM delete

If you knew you were pregnant with Hudson before you had a test to confirm it, why did you take ten preg tests??? You crazy girl!!!

Love ya

Reply
avatar
Stacey
AUTHOR
8:02 AM delete

What a cute story!! I loved reading each account!
If we are offering silly names to tide you over, how about:

Sir Prize. Get it? tee, hee!!

Reply
avatar
9:48 AM delete

Jill, yes, I know. I confess that I'm a closet pregnancy-test taker. =) There's just something about seeing those two pink lines appear. =)

Reply
avatar
Overwhelmed!
AUTHOR
9:55 PM delete

Oh, what wonderful news! Your household will soon be as crazy as ours. We've been juggling a 3 1/2 year old, a 17 1/2 month old, and a 8 1/2 month old and it's a bit hectic, but fun! :)

Reply
avatar