Operation: Gender Determination

Monday, August 18, 2008 11 Comments A+ a-

Operation: Gender Determination has begun.

Our ultrasound is a week from Friday and we are so excited to see our little one again. It’s at one of the newer facilities in town and since they have 3D capabilities, we’re sure to get some great pictures. We have also decided to let Devyn come with us to this appointment, as she is very aware of what is happening and I know she’ll get a kick out seeing the baby onscreen.

However, with the ultrasound fast approaching, I have changed my mind about not wanting to find out for several reasons. One, knowing which clothes to wash and get ready before the birth; two, being able to call this child by name; and three, preparing Miss Paige for the birth of her baby sister or brother. During the first part of this pregnancy Devyn was adamant that she wanted a baby brother, the mere mention that this child might be a girl was met with tears and disbelief. However, on our recent camping trip, my friend, Mandy, was able to convince her of all the great things that come with a sister. Mandy did such a great job that now Devyn won’t hear of a brother, only wanting a sister. =) Suffice it to say, that the third reason isn’t really much of a reason anymore as I think Devyn will be fine once she’s holding the baby in her arms… boy or girl.

Now my husband is a laid-back, reasonable kind of guy; which is why our marriage works so well. He is my perfect balance as I can be demanding, opinionated, and bossy. However, when Jon puts his foot down, there is no changing his mind. And that too is good for me; I also need a man who is willing to stand up for what he wants. So now is the time he decided to put his foot down and he is not budging on his stance to wait for the birth before we know whether we’re adding a son or daughter to the mix. I can’t get him to budge two inches!

I’ve tried logical persuasion; I’ve tried pulling the “but I’m the one carrying the baby” bit; I’ve tried convincing him to at least let the technician write BOY or GIRL on a piece of paper and seal it in an envelope to open later; I’ve tried everything. So if you have any ideas on how to budge my man on this, I’m all ears. No, it won’t be very secret as he reads my blog on a daily basis (hi Babe!) but it’s worth a shot, don’t you think?!

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

11 comments

Write comments
Amazing Racer
AUTHOR
12:38 PM delete

I think you should wait. I TOTALLY want to know, but I think you gotta go with Jon on this one!

Reply
avatar
Wendy
AUTHOR
12:43 PM delete

i loved knowing ahead of time, but i guess no matter when you find out it will be a surprise. :)

Reply
avatar
Melissa King
AUTHOR
2:16 PM delete

Yea...good luck with that! Sorry, no ideas for you. Hudson looks so grown up with his new hair cut. Too cute!

Reply
avatar
Haley
AUTHOR
2:38 PM delete

Oh my goodness! I had to do a double take on Hudsons new picture! He is so darn cute!

So.... I think you might have to loose this battle.... sorry.... I know that is not what you wanted to hear. I think if you wait you will be so proud of yourself and you wont regret not knowing ahead of time. On the other hand I understand so much wanting to know as soon as you can and going crazy not knowing! Maybe once you see the baby and they ask the question Jon will change his mind. I'm sure he is reading this and saying no way! Hi Jon.

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
AUTHOR
4:39 PM delete

Just find out. Let the techinician tell you. I found it was easier to prepare Big Sister for the arrival if she knew exactly what flavor of sibling she was getting.

Reply
avatar
6:27 PM delete

Come on Jenn. Where is my determined BFF??? When you set your mind to something no one can change it what is up with that? I guess the hormones and natural nesting comes in play. Just know you will be happy with whatever and so will Devyn. STICK TO YOUR GUNS JON!!!!!

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
AUTHOR
7:37 PM delete

She was a surprise to begin with and she will be a surprise at birth...that is the best!!!!

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
AUTHOR
2:05 AM delete

Jenn, it may be hard not knowing and preparing but it is so fun to discover for yourself in the delivery room. I completely understand where you're coming from though, i would have loved to have lots of girly clothes ready but have settled with greens and yellows for now. Good luck waiting:)

Reply
avatar
8:55 AM delete

Ok, ladies, you aren't giving me much to work with here. =) But Jon is getting a good chuckle out of the comments trying to convince me to wait.

*Sigh* I have a feeling that I won't know until their birth day arrives. =)

Reply
avatar
Kamma
AUTHOR
11:57 AM delete

You are one of the most stubborn people I know, but the stubbornness is usually about something YOU want, so this time you get to be stubborn for Jon instead...A good lesson in being a selfless wife! Haha... I love it when God stretches us, and this whole pregnancy had been Him stretching you, from start to finish! Keep on keepin on! I love you!! Kamma

Reply
avatar
CPT Mom
AUTHOR
9:16 PM delete

My dear friend, you know my love for you, and I want to side with you, but I have to agree...You should support Jon on this one.

You will be so proud of yourself. Besides, then you can show all those who think you can't do it. :) (There's my stubborn side talking)

Wash a load of girls and boys (a ton of those baby clothes fit in one load) and take one of each to the hospital.

Reply
avatar