Oh Baby, Baby!

Friday, August 29, 2008 13 Comments A+ a-

Well, it’s a baby… definitely a beautiful, gorgeous, healthy little baby, weighing in at 13 ozs. When the technician called our name, I was pleasantly surprised to see the woman who performed an ultrasound on Hudson when he was in-utero. She is one of the friendliest and best technicians we’ve ever had, and it was great to have her again.

As I settled on the bed, she asked if we wanted to know the gender, especially since it was going to be the tie-breaker. I looked pointedly at Jon and he laughing declined. I can tell you all that I was a good girl and looked away every time she told us she was going down to that area. It was killing me, but I can honestly say that we did not find out the gender.

Everything looks really good; the baby looks very healthy and is definitely a little yoga master already. You’ll see in the pictures in a moment but he/she is basically folded in half, with the legs up by the head. We even got to watch the baby play with its toes for a while. After seeing the profile and the 3D shots, Jon and I both think that the baby resembles Hudson. I guess we’ll know for sure in about 20 weeks, huh?! What do you think?


The 3-D shot looks SO similar to Hudson's 3D shot.

The classic, side profile shot.

Yoga master in the zen, legs up over his/her head.

A beautiful arm with a hand and fingers.

Now on to other news, surprise seems to be the key word with this pregnancy. (And no, I’m not having multiples.) At the very beginning of the ultrasound, the technician mentioned that she’d have to do a transvaginal ultrasound due to the fact that my placenta was so low. I didn’t think anything of it. Come to find out, the placenta is covering my cervix and I’m looking at a high possibility of a c-section.

I asked the technician, as hopefully as I could because I already knew the answer, if there was a possibility of the placenta moving out of the way some time in the next 20 weeks. With a tone that said “I’m going to say that it’s possible but honestly I know better”, she responded that there was always that chance.

My next OB appointment is next Friday and believe-you-me, my doctor and I are having a heart-to-heart regarding this situation. Between now and then (and even up to the birth), I’ll be walking a fine line between preparing myself for a c-section and praying that God will move the placenta out of the way. And in the end, all that matters is a healthy baby boy or girl. Which now that I have placenta previa, I’m going to get a ton of ultrasounds to see if the placenta has moved and I’ll have to be a good girl every, single time! Do you think God is trying to teach me something about trusting Him and giving Him control?!

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

13 comments

Write comments
Haley
AUTHOR
1:05 PM delete

Ok... so where is the poll on what we think you are having? I think it is a girl ;) But whatever it is, it is a beautiful baby!

I've never heard of the placenta thing.... but I did have a c-section cause Miss Kaydence was HUGE! They said when we have another one to just plan on another c-section.

All My Love!

Reply
avatar
CPT Mom
AUTHOR
1:13 PM delete

So glad to hear that the baby looks great.
And I am so proud of you that you looked away each time. That must have been so difficult. Great job!

I will be praying for the placenta previa. Our God can move mountains, a little placenta's nothing :)

Love you and all your babies!

Reply
avatar
Leah
AUTHOR
1:13 PM delete

My placenta was low with my youngest daughter and so I prayed and prayed and at the next ultrasound it had moved up-no problems.

Reply
avatar
Julie
AUTHOR
1:36 PM delete

Your baby is beautiful...whatever the gender!! That must have been SO hard to look away; I have always just wanted to know! I can't imagine waiting until the end but I bet it will be neat for ya'll to have that surprise! Praying that the rest of your pregnancy goes well and for that placenta to move on up! =)

Reply
avatar
Jaime
AUTHOR
1:42 PM delete

Jenn, Don't know if you were reading my blog much or not during the time I was expecting Noah, but I was also dealing with complete placenta previa. My doctor told me to probably expect a C-section as well. But then, around 23-24 weeks, it moved itself completely out of the way. Hopefully yours will too!

Reply
avatar
Amy...
AUTHOR
4:20 PM delete

Well, well, well...this baby is already making a name for him/herself:) You may be surprised, but I am now so glad you didn't find out the gender! Why? Because finding out who that baby is after a very planned and perfected c-section is the most amazing, good surprised ever. Seriously, it is something to just focus on during the surgery...which really is typically a piece of cake. My planned section with Griffin was one of my favorite days ever...

Wow, sorry for this lengthy comment. Love you! TAlk soon...

Reply
avatar
Amy...
AUTHOR
4:21 PM delete

And forgot to add...that baby looks like a beautiful baby boy to me!

Reply
avatar
Chic Mama
AUTHOR
10:28 AM delete

First of all- big congrats on the babe and good for you for not finding out! It is so worth it in the end, don't you think?

As for the placenta previa- I am so sorry to hear that! Good think we have a great God who can move mountains- He can certainly move that placenta! I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers!

Reply
avatar
crystal
AUTHOR
7:34 AM delete

Awww I love ultrasound pictures...there is just something so blessed about seeing the little one that God created before hey make their appearance in the world. I will be praying about the placenta previa, God can move it if he so desires. If it was me, God would probably definately be trying to teach me Trust and letting Him have control...lol.

Blessings
Crystal

Reply
avatar
7:46 AM delete

Oh, my goodness!!!! I just did this, and reading your blog makes me want to do it all over again!!! I love the whole pregnancy/baby thing!!!!!! How fun to not know the sex!!! I am so excited for you! I can't wait to find out! Your baby looks beautiful to me!! I will be praying about your placenta moving. I had a low lying placenta with JCT. It was close but not covering the cervix, and it did move up! I will be praying!!!

Reply
avatar
Stacey
AUTHOR
8:11 AM delete

Wow - I will be praying continuously for you guys - not that I'm not already! Just a new intention to add to the list.

I am amazed you didn't sneak a peek - you have great self-discipline! I can't imagine not finding out!!

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
AUTHOR
10:08 AM delete

Read Elizabeth's blog:
http://fullofgracenblessingsinabundance.blogspot.com/
She just had a baby end of June and had placenta previa for the whole pregnancy and it resolved at the end! Great testimony of God's power and I'm sure she could share experience/advice with you. Blessings!

Reply
avatar
Connie
AUTHOR
8:53 PM delete

Jenn! One of my best friends here also has placenta previa. She is about 2 months further along than you are. I'd never heard of it before and now two of my friends have it. Here is the link to her blog if you want to read her thoughts and feelings about it. Maybe you guys can relate to each other through blogs even though you don't know each other. http://keepinguposted.wordpress.com. Anyway, I will keep you in my prayers. Miss you!

Reply
avatar