Can you call dibs on gymnastics moves?

Monday, August 11, 2008 3 Comments A+ a-

Our household has been pretty wrapped up in the Olympic Games this past weekend and I’m thoroughly enjoying explaining the different sports and games to Devyn. I think she’s grasping the main concept of each sport. (By the way, did anyone else see that amazing 400M race between the US and France? I’m surprised Jon and I didn’t wake the kids with our yelling!)

Last night we settled in to watch the women’s gymnastics and without saying a word to anyone, Devyn disappeared into her bedroom. A few minutes later she came out with a leotard that had been handed down to her from a friend. Bear in mind, she has never worn this leotard before and really, I’d forgotten it even existed. But she marched right up to me, leotard in hand, and asked for a costume change. I happily obliged.

For the next hour, our little girl twirled, danced, and somersaulted to her heart’s content. Every so often she’d raised her arms in a “ta-da” moment and we cheered for her. It was too fun! Then out of the corner of her eye, Devyn noticed a gymnast doing a floor routine and started “tattling” on the gymnast.

“Mom! That’s my move!” she cried.

“I made up that move first!” she complained and then proceeded to point her toes in a ballerina-esque move to prove her point.

Hmmm… How to explain to a 3-year-old wearing a pink, rhinestone encrusted leotard that the gymnast has probably been practicing that move for years before Devyn’s birth? And without crushing the heart of said 3-year-old who truly believes that she “made up” that move first? Mom just asked if she would mind sharing her moves with the gymnasts on TV… it seemed to do the trick.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

3 comments

Write comments
Dana Marie
AUTHOR
7:00 PM delete

oh my gosh this is hilarious!! these stories make me so excited for Bella's toddler years!

Reply
avatar
Melody
AUTHOR
8:53 PM delete

Aww that's precious.

Reply
avatar
Amazing Racer
AUTHOR
11:32 PM delete

Yes, I saw the relay AMAZINGNESS!

And I triple heart women's gymnastics...maybe we'll be seeing Devyn there 4 olympics from now!!!

Reply
avatar