Big, Yellow Flowers

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 3 Comments A+ a-

Devyn has fallen in love with sunflowers. I’m sure the field next to our house, the field full of those big, yellow flowers has something to do with it. Every time we drive by it, I love hearing her gasp of delight and hearing her sweet voice say, “Mama! Look! Sunflowers!”

On the way to work this morning, I noticed some sunflowers growing on the side of the road. I quickly pulled to the side, jumped out of the van, and picked it. When I opened the door to Devyn’s side and presented her with her very own sunflower, her eyes lit up. We traveled the rest of the way to Nana’s house with her sunflower tucked possessively in her arms.

She kept smiling and smelling the flower. “Mama?” she asked. “Yes Babe?” I was thoroughly enjoying her reaction to the picked flower. “You stopped the car and picked a flower for me?!” she asked. “Yes, I did; I thought it would make you happy.” She contemplated this for a moment and with another awestruck smile said, “You’re the best Mama!”

Oh sweet child, if only you knew how much those words and these moments mean to me… It’s a moment that will always be treasured in this Mama’s heart.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

3 comments

Write comments
Haley
AUTHOR
10:53 AM delete

Aww Jenn! Have you read my blog on our Sunflowers? Its on my Myspace page.

Kaydence and Devyn need to get together for a play date! I doubt she has any other friends that are just two days older than her... they would have so much fun together!

Reply
avatar
Sarah
AUTHOR
2:57 PM delete

You ARE the best Jenn! I would consider myself blessed to have you as a mama;).
Love, Sarah

Reply
avatar
8:50 PM delete

You are such a good mom Jen! I love that you look for ways to bring your children joy. This is a moment I bet she will remember forever.

Reply
avatar