Our First Peek

Sunday, July 27, 2008 4 Comments A+ a-

Some of you may recall that we had our first ultrasound the same day that my sister and her husband found out that they were having a little girl. It was our first peek of this little life and it made things a little more real for us. I've been trying to scan pictures for the past hour but our copier/scanner/printer isn't working for me right now. Not to mention, they aren't the greatest quality either.

This was by-far one of the best ultrasound experiences we've ever had. As a reminder, our local Christian pregnancy crisis centers was in search of women to practice on as they certified their nurses on the ultrasound equipment. Because ultrasounds are so new to the nurses, they were just as excited as us to see that little body on the screen. It was wonderful to lay there and listen to them oohh and aahh over every new body part. Since this is my third child, I knew what body parts I was looking at before they did. But let me tell you this, no matter what number child this is, no matter how many ultrasounds I've had, it never gets old watching your baby on the screen. Never! At the end of the session, the two nurses and the trainer prayed over this new little life. It really was an amazing experience!

So before the nurses and the trainer knew that we didn't want to find out the gender of the baby, they got a clear (I mean, can't get much clearer) picture of the space between Baby's legs. Try to imagine the baby sitting on the camera, that's the view they got. Now, I know its very, very early (I was only 15 weeks along at the time) and its probably too soon to tell. But there was nothing, I mean NOTHING, between those legs. So either its really too early to tell, or this baby is a girl. Any thoughts?

Here's my dilemma, now I'm wondering if we should go ahead and find out the gender at the 20-week ultrasound. This is the planner in me coming out! My biggest reason being that I don't want a twinge of "oh, I wish it were the other gender" when this baby comes out. I don't want that moment marred by any milliseconds of disappointment. Don't get me wrong, I know that whatever God gives us is exactly what we're supposed to have and I'll be so thankful for either. But each time that I convince myself why either gender would be best and then something (like an ultrasound or heart rate) happens, I feel that twinge of "oh, I wish it were the other". Does this make me a bad mom? And trust me when I say, that what I want changes on a weekly basis. First I want a girl, so Devyn can have a sister; then I think that I would love a boy for Hudson, only to change my mind back again.

However, after long discussions with Jon, who is adamant against finding out beforehand, I've decided that I need to put into practice the "trust" that I'm so willing to give for advice. Trust that everything is already planned out according to His great purpose; trust that there is no difference between knowing now and knowing later; trusting in the unknown. As everyone has pointed out before, this is going to be a huge stretching time for me for I am the ultimate planner and not knowing is going to drive me crazy!

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

4 comments

Write comments
CPT Mom
AUTHOR
3:35 PM delete

More important than knowing or not knowing, is allowing yourself to be stretched by the Lord. If you feel He wants to use this to better you and your family...go forth.

Besides, all "plans" were thrown out on this little one from the get-go :)

Love you.

PS- I'm feeling a girl.

Reply
avatar
Julie
AUTHOR
8:48 AM delete

Well, we had an ultrasound at 16 weeks with Lily because I had to have gallbladder surgery. They told us then that she was a girl even though it was early! So, I think you are having a girl but that could have just been the way it went for us! Either way, you are having a blessing!

*And, if by some crazy chance, our "son" turns out to be our 3rd "daughter" then may God be praised! I am truly happy and content either way! (and DONE, as well)LOL. =)

Hope the rest of your pregnancy progresses smoothly & your sister's as well! I LOVE the name Elliana!

Prayers & Blessings,
Julie

Reply
avatar
Amazing Racer
AUTHOR
10:18 AM delete

Cpt said it well.

Glad your ultrasound was all good!

Reply
avatar
Haley
AUTHOR
10:23 AM delete

Oh Jenn.... you are too cute! I would have such a hard time not knowing! I'm just like you.... I have to have everything planned and it would drive me crazy. But in the long run if you decide to wait to find out and have it be a "surprise" I dont think you will regret not finding out. You'll probably be really proud of yourself. I'm with you though girl... I would be thinking about it non stop!!

And... I had a feeling this baby would be a girl from the start ;) But I also was sure Kaydence was a boy... so dont listen to me.

Reply
avatar