Enjoying the Small Moments

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 11 Comments A+ a-

When life gets crazy and seems to spin out-of-control, it’s in times like those that I treasure the small moments even more. Listed below are just a few random moments of the past week.

--------------------------------------

Although we don’t know what Christine and Caleb are having yet (they find out tomorrow), Devyn insists it’s a girl… and that it’s her sister. I don’t think she quite grasps the meaning of sister but it’s adorable nonetheless.

--------------------------------------

I’ve been doing some more decorating courtesy of my friend, Melissa, at Home Chatter. I have officially cut myself off, as I can’t have every wall in my house covered in sayings without it appearing as obsessive. Here’s my latest attempt at becoming more homey:


--------------------------------------

Hudson is in love with my parents’ dogs and thank goodness they are as wonderful with children as they are, for they put up with a lot. Every morning Hudson chases down one dog and then the next for a huge bear hug, several not-so-gentle head pats, and the claps gleefully when he’s done. He also refers to all dogs as “Zeus”, the name of my parents’ black lab.


--------------------------------------

Devyn came up to me the other night with her shirt pulled high up on her chest, exposing her little tummy to the world. When I asked what she was doing, she said that she wanted to hear her baby’s heartbeat too. This just goes to show that she is paying careful attention to everything I do, and understood what the Doppler was picking up.


--------------------------------------

Side note: Does anyone have any ideas on how to keep a 17-month-old boy from throwing his food when he’s done? Jon and I have tried everything and nothing seems to be working. The minute Hudson is done eating, the food starts flying. Our trips to restaurants have come to an abrupt end for the time being.


--------------------------------------

And last, but certainly not least:

Last night Devyn and my dad (Papa) had their first date together, just the two of them. Devyn has developed quite an infatuation with baseball; granted she has no idea what the actual game is about but she loves going to Rockies games. And this is where they went for their first date. After the game, she returned to my parents’ house for a sleepover, so I didn’t get to see her until lunch today. Listening to her describe her date, hearing her small, pixie voice made my day.

She described the foods she ate; hot dogs, pop, and ice cream. “The circle kind,” she described. (She’s referring to Dippin’ Dots® for those that are confused.) She described the waterfall that they sat next to, and the clapping and shouting at the game. She leaned forward in as if to tell me a secret and confided that “Papa had a beer.” I laughed. When I asked who won the game, in a triumphant voice she exclaimed, “The Rockies!”

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

11 comments

Write comments
Sarah
AUTHOR
2:14 PM delete

I am all about the small moments, they are the rich ones! Love your new saying! I may need to look at her catalog when the budget loosens up a bit (does that ever happen?). Does she have a website?

Reply
avatar
Melissa King
AUTHOR
2:27 PM delete

Cody used to throw food too, and it was so irritating. He still does now and then if we aren't paying really close attention. We have to just watch to make sure he is done and then take it out of reach IMMEDIATELY. The best was when he would take chewed up food out of his mouth and throw that. Nice huh? Hopefully he'll grow out of it and it won't be a phase that lasts very long. But I know it sucks right now.

Reply
avatar
CPT Mom
AUTHOR
3:31 PM delete

So precious! I am so glad that your dad is extending his dates to include his granddaughter(s). (I just know that one of you will have a girl :)

Between you girls and potential granddaughters, your dad isn't going to have any free time ;)

Reply
avatar
Haley
AUTHOR
4:27 PM delete

My goodness that is beautiful!! I love it! I bet your house is amazing! You have such great taste!!

Reply
avatar
10:13 PM delete

I LOVE the wedding pictures and the sayings...so pretty.

And I love that your dad takes Devyn out on dates. That is just precious, and something that she will remember forever.

Reply
avatar
Kamma
AUTHOR
10:29 PM delete

She is so cute!! I just wanna squeeze her cheeks! :)

Reply
avatar
Rachelle
AUTHOR
6:47 AM delete

What a beautiful list! Reminds me to cherish my small moments, too.

Reply
avatar
Courtney
AUTHOR
10:01 AM delete

I love your blogs like this. Getting to hear moments that I normally miss out on.

Reply
avatar
Paula
AUTHOR
9:31 PM delete

I love the date Devyn went on. How very sweet.

What are your other wall sayings? Can you show them? I love that idea.

Reply
avatar
Kamma
AUTHOR
9:37 PM delete

So, it's tomorrow now...what're Christine and Caleb having??

Reply
avatar
LPDraper
AUTHOR
9:33 AM delete

Okay, so when you figure out what will keep your sweet boy from throwing his food, please let me know. We've been battling this for over a year now!!! With other things, I would take it away, but I can't exactly do that with food. Seriously, it's driving me bonkers.

Reply
avatar