10-Year Reunion

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 0 Comments A+ a-

Grrr! Ok, so I know I shouldn’t care, really, I know I shouldn’t. But then why does it bother me when others don’t find something as important as I think it should be? Huh? (You can’t see me right now, but I’m telling myself to shake it off... I’m trying.)

I was a little worried about the reunion. I just reread those words and I know other committee members are going to be reading those same words and laughing. I’m sure “little” is putting it mildly; they likely would say that I was “uptight”. And rightfully so. I’ve been stressing over this “stupid” reunion for months now. And during the first half-hour of the reunion, I was afraid that my fears were coming to fruition. As classmate after classmate arrived, nerves and anxiousness written over their faces, they drifted into their cliques, into their circle of friends that they were most comfortable with. I cringed inside as it felt like I had simply stepped back into time, ten years earlier, into the same roles we all played in high school.

But as time passed, as everyone starting relaxing more and as the margaritas flowed (the Friday night mixer was held in a local Mexican restaurant infamous for their margaritas), we all started mingling together and enjoying ourselves. Now, I’d be remiss if I didn’t say that just one of those margaritas would have gone a long way in soothing my own nerves but since there’s a little bun in the oven, I had to make do with a little hand-holding from Jon and deep breaths. Throughout the night, classmate after classmate came up to thank us for putting together the reunion and we had many comments about what a great time everyone had. There were a few complaints (not enough food, not warm enough food, too much money, misplaced classmates) but I think the compliments far out-weighed the complaints. And quite frankly, there really is so much a committee can do. After all, if posting information on five websites and sending postcards to last known addresses isn’t enough, then I don’t know what to tell you.

One of the hardest things of the night was when a classmate by the name of Jon arrived. I walked out into the hallway and behold, there was Jon seated in a wheelchair, obviously very confined to it. I recognized him immediately, he and I weren’t close friends in high school but I know that when we received his RSVP for the reunion, I was looking forward to seeing him. He was well-liked in high school, very active, and just an all-around good guy. To see him like that brought me up short as I had no idea what had happened to him. Come to find out Jon was diagnosed with MS a couple of years earlier and the disease has progressed rapidly. He appeared to have a good time, he and his date were constantly surrounded by classmates and friends and I’m so thankful he was able to come. He and I got to chat for a bit and it was good to see him. But even now, my heart breaks as I remember the guy from high school and seeing how fast the disease has progressed.

Did I enjoy myself? For the most part, I had an absolute blast. It was wonderful seeing old friends and classmates and it was great to hang out with my girlfriends again. I’m especially thankful that our husbands get along and kept each other in good company all night. However, I will never, ever plan another reunion again. The stress and the details just aren’t worth it! So, any former classmates that read this, please know I’m placing the ball in your court for the next one. =)

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.