Such a gift is Devyn Paige

Thursday, June 26, 2008 5 Comments A+ a-

While driving the other day, Mom and Devyn passed a Catholic church on the way to where they were going. As the church bell tolled to announce the new hour, Devyn’s eyes grew wide. She turned to my mom and said, “Nana, I heared that!”

Mom chuckled and asked in response, “Do you hear the bells?” Devyn nodded, still in awe of the ringing bells. Mom pointed at the church as they sat at the red light, “See, Devyn, the bells are coming from the church.”

Devyn shook her head solemnly, “No Nana! Those bells are from Cinderella.”

When Mom told me the above story, I laughed and laughed. Conversations and anecdotes like the one above are happening on a daily basis right now. My favorite time of the day is putting Devyn to bed; after a story and bedtime prayers, we lay facing each other and just chat about this, that, or the other. Whatever comes to her mind, we’ll chat about it and every night I leave her room amazed at the progress she’s made in six months.

This past weekend, my cousin, Jared, came up and grilled shish-kabobs for the whole family. (While this is not the point of the story, I just have to point out that it was one of the most delicious meals I’ve had in a long time! Thank you, Jared!) As we sat on my parents’ deck, with the sun hanging just above the mountains, I was awed looking at my little girl. Every time the sun hit her eyes, I couldn’t get over how green her eyes are turning. There was one moment when I realized that Devyn had been asking me a question, yet I didn’t hear a word of it because I was so humbled by the idea that God had given me such a precious, beautiful little girl to mother that I had been rendered speechless.

Every day, every moment, with Devyn is such a gift right now. In the six months since she started speech therapy, a whole new world has opened for her and for us as her parents. To know what she wants, to understand what she’s saying, to have actual conversations with her, means more to me than I could possibly put into words. I’m getting teary just thinking about how proud I am of her! Granted, along with new skills and new vocabulary has come new trials as Devyn sets forth to assert her independence, but I’ll gladly take those over never being able to understand my little girl. There are still letter sounds and words that we need to work on, but we also have to remember that Devyn has only been talking for six months. Jon and I laugh and joke that now we can't get her to stop talking!

I don’t know why God chose me and even though I’m still finding my way in parenting an introverted child, I do know that I’m incredibly blessed to have her in my life. Three and a half years later, she can still take my breath away.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

5 comments

Write comments
crystal
AUTHOR
9:36 AM delete

What a precious gift indeed!

Blessings
Crystal

Reply
avatar
9:53 AM delete

Your reflections here made me teary-eyed. Isn't motherhood just the best thing we'll ever do with our lives?

That is incredible how Devyn's speech is developing and I bet you and Jon are beyond thrilled to be able to carry on a conversation with her. I imagine she has a lot to say! =)

Reply
avatar
RDC CCC Mom
AUTHOR
1:10 PM delete

Thanks for sharing your experiences on this blog! It has blessed my life and been an encouragement to me! I understand about speech therapy and having a child whose voice is hard to find! My son (and likely my second son) have speech delays, but therapy is SOOO helpful! Best wishes as she continues to grow in her vocab and language skills!
-Erin

Reply
avatar
Kamma
AUTHOR
7:52 PM delete

What a sweet momma and daughter. I'm so happy she's doing so well, and so glad you had her checked out in the first place! Love you and miss you!

ps-Cinderella was my absolute favorite as a little girl :)

Reply
avatar
Amazing Racer
AUTHOR
11:07 AM delete

Cpt forgot her phone and is headed home right now to get to you...just thought you should know.

Reply
avatar