A rose by any other name...

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 21 Comments A+ a-

We had the girl's name picked out for a few weeks before we found out we were pregnant. Jon and I are constantly batting name ideas around, even when we're not pregnant, and both of us fell in love with this name. We found out we were expecting #3 the day after his grandmother passed away, and we instantly knew that if we had a girl, her name would be Reagan Jacqueline. Jacqueline was his grandmother's middle name and it just seems fitting that, if its a girl, this child should carry that name on.

However, the boy's name is another story and we've come to an impasse. I have fallen in love with a boy's name, so much so that I'm already using it when referring to this child. It just seems to flow so well by itself and within the mix of Devyn and Hudson. However, Jon is not convinced. The impasse... unless Jon can come up with a better name than the one I'm currently using, then the name is staying.

Do you see the poll at the top right column? Please feel free to vote on your favorite name, I'm making no promises but it'll help in our decision for the perfect boy name. We are also very open to suggestions, the only stipulation being that the name must end in a "n". Weird stipulation, I know, but when you discover that you've started a pattern, you must (or I must) continue it. Take a look for yourself: Jon, Jenn, Devyn, Hudson, and Reagan or ???.

[Oops! I messed up on the first poll, my sincere apologies to anyone who already voted. Please vote again. I promise not to touch it this time.]

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

21 comments

Write comments
Deidre
AUTHOR
9:34 AM delete

Oh, those are all such great names - it's hard to choose. But, I will!!

Can't wait to see the little guy!

Reply
avatar
Deidre
AUTHOR
9:35 AM delete

Or girl..... :-)

Reply
avatar
Aunt Courtney
AUTHOR
10:15 AM delete

You know which name is my LEAST favorite. I want to vote for everyone but that one...

Reply
avatar
10:18 AM delete

Har, har! You all hated the name Devyn too...

Reply
avatar
Haley
AUTHOR
12:22 PM delete

I DIDNT!! I always loved Devyn! I like Camden! Maybe because Camden is actually very special to me. We have family reunions every other year in Tennessee and Camden Tennessee is where they are held... that is where my Nana and her 9 siblings were born and raised! Reagen is also very beautiful... you guys have a knack for picking good names :)

Reply
avatar
Tamara
AUTHOR
12:56 PM delete

Well, you know I'm partial to Owen! I like Landon though too--it flows really well with Devyn and Hudson.
Check out the book "The Baby Name Wizard," by Wattenberg. It's awesome for helping choose names.

Reply
avatar
Kamma
AUTHOR
1:09 PM delete

Those are cute names, I like them all except for one (not gonna tell), but I'd love to know which one YOU like?? Love you! Feeling better? We need to talk soon...

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
AUTHOR
2:47 PM delete

I chose Landon. I like Camden, but I've always heard it used as a girl's name...
Will all your boys have the middle name Jonathan?

Reply
avatar
2:52 PM delete

Yes, its a family tradition for all the boys in the family to have the father's first name as a middle name.

Reply
avatar
Tami
AUTHOR
3:03 PM delete

I voted for Camden and love the name. My 2nd son's name is Camden Thomas.

Reply
avatar
LPDraper
AUTHOR
3:50 PM delete

You know I love the name Reagan! :)

I voted for Camden.... it's different and I love that!

Reply
avatar
Paula
AUTHOR
6:41 PM delete

So cute! I think all the names are great.....but Landon is my fav.

zReagan is so cuute! Any feeling one way or another?

Reply
avatar
8:21 PM delete

Instinct, mother's intuition, a feeling? Do I have any of these? Absolutely not, never have, probably never will. When I was pregnant with Devyn, I was convinced it was a boy. I had no feelings whatsoever with Hudson and the same goes for this pregnancy. Jon, on the other hand, is convinced its a girl.

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
AUTHOR
2:05 AM delete

Jenn , you guys are great... here we are less than 2 months away from our new arrival and we haven't even discussed names yet. And we need one of each this time. I love your choices. I like the 'n' thing you have going on. Hope all is well and you're doing better. -Bec

Reply
avatar
crystal
AUTHOR
7:29 AM delete

I love all the names and the family tradition of naming the boys after the dad. That is so awesome. I like Landon the best though...It just goes with the other two. But which one do you like? And I love Reagan, I was going to name my third that if it was a girl....Instead, he got named after his daddy. :)

Blessings
Crystal

Reply
avatar
crystal
AUTHOR
7:31 AM delete

Okay, it wont let me vote, it keeps saying cannot process request. But I like Landon. Thats my vote.

Crystal

Reply
avatar
11:15 AM delete

You already know how I feel about Reagan!!! ;)

Naming your children is such an important task. It's something they will have for the rest of their lives. Good luck making a decision!

Reply
avatar
Sara
AUTHOR
12:50 PM delete

I like Camden and Landon the best:) But they are all good strong names.

Reply
avatar
Julie
AUTHOR
1:32 PM delete

ooh, LOVE Reagan!! And Camden for a boy & then my second pick would be Landon. Both GREAT names!! :o)

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
7:15 PM delete

Love your new design! It actually made me gasp!

I like Owen and when I voted the poll conked out. :(

So excited for you!!

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
AUTHOR
7:49 AM delete

I haven't been here in ages. Congratulations Jenn. I am reminded of the birth of our son Kevin 16 years ago. He was our first child and the anticipation was almost more than we could bear. My husband's initials are GLT which is actually a family tradition for the first born son. We batted around several versions of names with those initials. In the car to the hospital we were talking about Geoff, Gerod, Gregory the only thing that stayed the same was the middle name Locke.

Here's the deal My labor was 12 hours long. When our son popped out the nurse said what is his name? Fair ? My husband looked at our son and said Kevin Locke. My response was Kevin? We NEVER talked about Kevin! The nurse quietly said well guys what do you want me to put on the birth certificate? I looked at my crying husband and said No he's right Kevin it is. I asked him later WHY KEVIN? He simply stated he looked like a KEVIN--Not a Geff or a Gerod

Reply
avatar