Day 14 of 31

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 31 Comments A+ a-


With the blessing of my sister, Christine (who saw the heartbeat of her little one again this morning, praise the Lord!), I can finally tell you that I am also pregnant. Jon and I received the unexpected news early last week, the day after his grandmother died to be exact. Unlike Devyn and Hudson who were carefully planned for, this little one is a big surprise! Not only were we not trying, we were actively preventing too.

Christine suggested I was pregnant before I had any inkling, saying she had a feeling during the Beth Moore conference. I assured her, repeatedly, that I wasn’t and that my dear friend, AF, was due to visit any day. She finally convinced me to buy a pregnancy test and I placed it on the bathroom counter for the next morning. Throughout the rest of Monday night and early Tuesday morning, I assured both Christine and my husband that I was certain my monthly visit was on its way. When I walked into the bathroom mid-morning, the pregnancy test sat there, mocking me, and I decided to take it on a whim. It was supposed to be the reassurance I needed, further proof that I wasn’t pregnant.

Hudson followed me into the bathroom and kept reaching for the white stick. I placed the cap back on it and gave it to him to play with. I lazily went about my morning, every so often catching a glimpse of Hudson clutching tightly to the white stick. When I placed Hudson in his chair for breakfast, I was finally able to extract the stick from his hands and check out the results. Imagine my shock when I saw two, glaringly pink lines staring back at me. My mind completely went blank, I couldn’t breathe, and I barely remember the next hour. For the life of me, I could not get in enough air.

When I called Jon to tell him, he thought something had happened to Hudson because the only things I could utter where, "ummm… ummm… ummm…" and "oh my word" over and over again. When I finally uttered the words, "We really are pregnant", he didn’t believe me. It wasn’t until he could hear Devyn in the background scared and crying from watching her mother shake and pace the floor, that it finally sunk in for Jon.

It was during mid-call with someone (I’m sorry, I don’t remember who I was talking to) did it hit me that I was still taking anti-depressants and had stopped taking prenatal vitamins when I’d weaned Hudson back in February. A quick visit to the doctor confirmed the pregnancy and allowed us to set up a weaning schedule to get off the antidepressants. I’m down to every other day and I’ll stop completely next week. Despite being a little more tired, waking at 3:30am hungry, and the constant breathlessness, I feel great. In fact, I’ll be honest, I’ve taken five more pregnancy tests since then because it’s the only tangible proof I have that this is really happening.

Jon is ecstatic and I’m definitely coming around. It’s like my friend, Mandy, laughingly said upon hearing the news, "I just KNEW this was going to happen to you sometime. You are such a planner and something was bound to happen to take the control out of your hands." And Jon is right, how can we argue with God and His plan for our family? I can be at peace knowing that while I might not agree that this is the best timing in the world, God has ordained this life to be, at this time, right now.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

31 comments

Write comments
HappyMama
AUTHOR
9:51 AM delete

As you already know, I am SO happy for you and your family! I think the news is absolutely fantastic. And, remember, sometimes the best things in life come in the form of a surprise! I love you!

Reply
avatar
Jennisa
AUTHOR
10:06 AM delete

HOLY MOLY!!! What GREAT news! I will pray for you, as I remember your posts talking about whether or not to have a third child a while ago. God has everything planned out, and I am SO excited to watch you through this pregnancy!

Reply
avatar
Liz
AUTHOR
10:59 AM delete

Oh Jen, this is wonderful news!! Praise God for new life. I know all about the surprise part. Our 4th baby was a BIG surprise to us...I am a planner also...but oh my, what a blessing baby #4 has been to our family. The Lord's surprises are the sweetest!

I am praying for you. I am so thrilled and excited for you. :)

Reply
avatar
Heather
AUTHOR
10:59 AM delete

~Congratulations~ ... praying for a blessed pregnancy!!

~Heather :)

Reply
avatar
Haley A.
AUTHOR
11:10 AM delete

YYAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY!!! Congrats!! So so so excited for you! If anyone can make this work it is you guys! You are wonderful parents and this baby is blessed to have you and big sister and big brother :)

Reply
avatar
Katie
AUTHOR
11:28 AM delete

Congratulations!! I'm laughing - because I was also slightly addicted to taking pregnancy tests when we discovered I was going to have Hazel. In the very beginning, it's one of the only things that makes it feel real.
God's timing is perfect - so excited that He's blessing you with another little one!!

Reply
avatar
Wendy
AUTHOR
11:29 AM delete

Yay! I'm so happy for you and your family! 3 is wonderful. Many blessings to you.

Reply
avatar
crystal
AUTHOR
12:09 PM delete

Congratulations! I know that feeling of surprise....My third...He is such a blessing. God knows exactly what he is doing. He knows exactly what we need when we need it. I will pray for your pregnancy and post partum both to go very well.

Many blessings and prayers
Crystal

Reply
avatar
Amazing Racer
AUTHOR
12:13 PM delete

What a great year of many blessings for not only you and Jon, but your entire family!

Congrats!!! So thrilled for you.

Reply
avatar
Jaime
AUTHOR
1:18 PM delete

I am soooo happy for you! What an unexpected blessing from God! This third pregnancy was also a surprise for Joel and I, and we are still a little amazed! Congratulations!

Reply
avatar
Carrie
AUTHOR
1:21 PM delete

Congrats Jen! Your news has brought a huge smile to my face today. :)

Blessings to you and your family of five.

Reply
avatar
Rachel
AUTHOR
1:30 PM delete

Congratulations, Jenn! You are an awesome mother, and you will find that three babies aren't much more work than two. ;) I'm very happy for you. Praying for you!

~~Rachel
www.nothinggold.net

Reply
avatar
5:05 PM delete

YAY!! Congrats! I am so happy for you. I would have to agree with what you said in your last paragraph...God has ordained your life, and He is watching over it every step. About the anti-depressants, just so you know, I was on them for a short while when I was pregnant with my daughter Hannah. She is five now, and totally fine. Not that I would recommend it, but just so you know, everything will be just fine. :)
Blessings!

Reply
avatar
CPT Mom
AUTHOR
6:17 PM delete

Yay!!

That's all I have to say about that!

Reply
avatar
6:48 PM delete

What wonderful news!!!!!!!
I am so happy for you all.
Hope you are feeling well!
CONGRATULATIONS :))))

Reply
avatar
7:47 PM delete

Congratulations!! This sounds all too familiar to me!!! :-) God's plan is so fun and full of wonderful surprises!!!

Reply
avatar
Julie
AUTHOR
8:11 PM delete

WOW!!! What a double blessing for your family!! I know exactly what you mean about the surprise factor. Lily was 8 months old when I found out I was pregnant with our third (due September 8th). They will be 16 months apart. I hope I am up to that! Also, hope all goes well with your struggles with depression. I have been there also and I am fearful(though trying not to be)of what will happen after this birth. But, God knows all and He is in control. :o)

SO happy for you & your adorable family!

Reply
avatar
Becoming Me
AUTHOR
9:23 PM delete

Wow---All babies are miracles and have a special purpose in life...but when pregnancies like yours happen...wow is all I can say. Praise God...He's got one marvelous journey in store for you. I will lift up you and your new baby every morning. I don't know why, but I always pray for all the pregnant moms I know while taking my morning shower.

Reply
avatar
Rebecca
AUTHOR
11:05 PM delete

Jenn, we are so excited for you guys. What a wonderful surprise! How fun it will be to go through all the pregnancy ups and downs with Christine and watch the cousins grow up so close together. We love you guys and remember you often.

Reply
avatar
Andrea
AUTHOR
1:58 AM delete

Holy Schnikies!!! Congratulations! I was just telling Jon just a few days before Grandpa died that you guys make such beautiful babies, so you should keep on having them -- haha!

Reply
avatar
Elise
AUTHOR
7:42 AM delete

Oh, He is so funny! And so gracious! What a gift, to walk through this time with your sister! :)

I will be praying for you during this time, that this baby will have an entirely different experience with you once he/she comes- may God keep the postpartum depression buried forever! (((Jenn)))

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
2:37 PM delete

Yippeeeee!!!!!!! Congrats! May God bless you during this pregnancy and after!!

Reply
avatar
Christina
AUTHOR
4:57 PM delete

This is awesome news!!!!!! Congrats and enjoy every moment!!!!!! :-)

Reply
avatar
Kati
AUTHOR
10:07 PM delete

Congratulations indeed!!! The Lord laughs when we try to make our own plans, doesn't he! So amazing when his plans overthrow our own! What a wonderful blessing!

Reply
avatar
AndiMae
AUTHOR
2:37 PM delete

I am so sorry that it has taken me forever to get on here and say CONGRATULATIONS!! Amy let me in on the news last week, but as you know, my online status has been so sporadic lately...new computer coming soon! Anyways, I am so excited for you and am praying for you!

xo Andi

Reply
avatar
Melissa King
AUTHOR
11:35 PM delete

Holy Cow! I didn't expect that! Congrats to you all, that is so awesome. And I am glad you are feeling good too!

Reply
avatar
Melody
AUTHOR
12:22 PM delete

Congratulations...I wish I could get a big surprise like this. I'm just happy if I get a period.

Reply
avatar
Jenn
AUTHOR
10:43 PM delete

Congratulations!

Jenn

Reply
avatar
Marsie:)
AUTHOR
8:55 AM delete

CRIMA-FREAKIN-NITLEY!!!!!:) I love ya and I'm glad the news is "out" so we can all be excited for you and Jon!! You know you and the baby are in our prayers!! Lots o' Love!!

Reply
avatar
lewis blog
AUTHOR
10:26 AM delete

Congrats Jenn & Jon,
Now you know how it feels to be completely and totally surprised. And as you said it is a true gift from God that reminds us he is in total control. I am looking forward to seeing you both when I am home for my surprise. I visit your blog frequently to stay up to date with your family. Let me here from you sometime. You are always in my prayers

Jeremy

Reply
avatar
Beth
AUTHOR
10:57 AM delete

I don't check your blog that often now that I'm working - but the girls are with their Nana and Pop and I stopped in!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I can honestly say I TOTALLY understand! I too am pregnant (again). There was no way I could be pregnant - we were also actively preventing it and I just knew my friend was going to visit any day - I was late simply because of the stress of work and such! Well - two pregnancy tests later - my friend is apparently on vacation for 9 months!!!!

Hope you are feeling well - when are you due - we're due Dec. 12th!

Reply
avatar