Such a Charming Date

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 4 Comments A+ a-

I woke around 4:30 this morning. Correction, I was woken around 4:30 this morning by a little girl who couldn’t go back to sleep. I took her hand and led her back to bed, where we both cuddled together under the covers on her tiny, twin-sized bed. I tucked her against my side and rubbed her back until she fell asleep. I wanted to go back to sleep, I yearned to return to my deep slumber, but alas, I couldn’t. I gave up around 5:30, made my way downstairs to the computer, googled (when did that become a verb?) various topics, and worked on my Blurb book. Just as Jon was leaving for work, I made my way back upstairs to find gorgeous weather and the sound of birds chirping outside. I smiled to myself, it was going to be one of *those* kinds of spring mornings; the kind where I could drive around with music blaring, the sun roof open, windows down; the kind of day that was meant to draw people outdoors.

I rushed through my morning routine, hurriedly dressed the kids for the day, and before I knew it we were in the van heading to my parents’ house. Wednesdays usually consist of a lazy pace because my mom will pick Devyn up for their weekly BSF bible study around 8:30 and Hudson and I have the rest of the morning to ourselves. But this particular Wednesday I felt a need to be outside. Hudson and I dropped Devyn off at Nana’s house, thus saving Nana a trip, and headed to Jon’s job. Hudson and Devyn love visiting Jon at his place of employment, and quite frankly, the rough edged guys that he works with love having the kids visit. Today was no different as Hudson toddled between big trucks and big guys, who all turn to mush at the sight of my babies. We waved goodbye and were on our way to a more intimate morning.

I hurriedly returned library books and filled the tank with gas. And then, of its own accord, the van steered itself towards Sonic where I decided that while we there, Hudson and I may as well have a mother-son date. We shared tator tots and a bacon, egg, and cheese sandwich; I enjoyed my soda while Hudson slurped on milk. (Gotta to be a little healthy, right?) We had a great conversation about life and we shared concerns on the political issues that are currently facing our country. Of course, that conversation was a little one-sided as he was too distracted by the knobs and levers on the dashboard. But the date wasn’t a total wash as each time he shared his impish grin with me, I fell a little deeper in love with my boy.

After a quick run-in, run-out at King Soopers, we decided to walk through the shopping center nearby. We were in no hurry, as we had nowhere to be. I felt my heart lighten as I looked down at our intertwined hands, amazed that just fourteen months later, my heart could so inexplicably be consumed by another human being. I was in awe as he toddled across streets by himself, hand in mine, completely unaware of how my heart constricted each time a car was a little slow to stop for our crossing. I watched as he approached each tree, each person, each dog, or park bench that we passed with the same delight and joy. I laughed as he stopped, listened to the music playing from the outdoor speakers, began head-bopping to the beat. And I was unable to say no when his eyes pleaded with mine for a sip of my mocha frappuchino from Starbucks.

Oh, it was a good date; it was wonderful to get that one-one time with my little man. How did I ever get so lucky with such beautiful, engaging, loving babes?!

[And on the weather front, despite temperatures being the seventies today, we’re expecting snow tomorrow; such is the life of living in this state.]

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

4 comments

Write comments
Melissa King
AUTHOR
3:22 PM delete

Great Post! I love those moments with my little one.

Reply
avatar
HappyMama
AUTHOR
4:16 PM delete

Beautiful Jenn! And, how much fun. Isn't it just great to have stolen moments like this!? No doubt that moments like these are ones that the both of you will remember forever. You're such a good Mommy!

Love you!

Reply
avatar
crystal
AUTHOR
10:07 PM delete

Sounds like you had a wonderful day! You are such a wonderful mom!

Blessings
Crystal

Reply
avatar
CPT Mom
AUTHOR
10:58 PM delete

What a beautiful post!

Made me think of a special little guy in my life. I need to go hug him.

...and snow?!?!? We are already starting to melt...

Reply
avatar