Not Just Sugar and Spice

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 5 Comments A+ a-

I turned around the other day to find a little girl in my midst… it broke my heart a little. Devyn is quite obviously no longer a baby, no longer a toddler, and is now a preschooler on the verge of girlhood. I have to stop and ask myself when this happened and how it happened without one, my knowledge and two, my permission. But oh, what a joy, it is to see her growing and changing into this little person that God has called her to be.

Last week, at her speech therapy session, Miss Deb tested Devyn again. I’m happy to report that Devyn is now testing at her age-level; Jon and I couldn’t be happier about it. The progress she’s made is evident in every conversation we have with her, be it on the phone or in person. She says words that I had no idea she knew, words are said much clearer, and our phone conversations are so very sweet. There are times that she’ll call me in the afternoons, just to chat and catch me up on the goings-on at Papa and Nana’s house. These conversations are most always instigated by her, Aunt Alli or Nana just dialing the numbers for her.

She is still my shy, timid child; the one who hides her face behind my legs upon meeting new people. She is the one that watches in both amusement and dismay as Hudson lifts his arms to complete strangers, asking to be held. She is the one who is hesitant upon all things new. But as soon as she defines something as safe, watch out, as she can be loud, she can be adventurous, and she can be hyper. She is still incredibly cuddly, often asking to be held or wanting to sit on my lap. She is still an amazing big sister; taking joy out of making Hudson laugh, being the first to offer comfort if he’s sad or hurt, and being extremely patient as Hudson figures out his limitations and boundaries as a brother with a mind of his own.

Most of all, my girl has such a balance in her life:

  • She has no problem climbing atop a dirt pile and playing for hours; not only unmindful of how dirty she’s getting, but welcoming it.

  • Yet, she’s the first to get dressed up (in church or play clothes), and preen for her daddy.

  • She loves watching bugs and constantly tells me how much she likes snakes and spiders.

  • Yet she grabs the nail polish, brings it to me, and begs to have her toenails painted.

  • She’s the first to race Papa in foot races, yet is always up for a dance with Daddy, Bobo, or Mommy.

  • She knows the names of Daddy’s tools and often tells me whether I need to use a hammer or a screwdriver.

  • Yet she knows the “tools” that Mommy has too, and often asks for lipstick or blush.

  • She’s the first to ask Daddy if he needs help in the garage; yet she loves to help “bake” too.

All in all, she is a well-rounded little girl and is such a light in our family. While I may not embrace the “threes” as readily as I did the “twos”, it is amazing to watch her assert her likes, dislikes, and independence. My baby girl is surely growing up.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

5 comments

Write comments
Sarah
AUTHOR
5:27 PM delete

You have a beautiful daughter, inside and out! And we are so blessed to be a part of your lives. Emma already calls Devyn her best friend. I can't wait to watch these girl's relationship grow, squabbles and all! It's like history repeating itself once we hit second grade with them, wild to think about huh!
Sarah

Reply
avatar
Jenn
AUTHOR
9:12 PM delete

I can see you are so proud of her.

Jenn

Reply
avatar
Becoming Me
AUTHOR
9:15 PM delete

She seems like a beautifully delightful little girl.

Reply
avatar
Courtney
AUTHOR
9:36 AM delete

This post makes me want to run home and give her a huge hug! I take part credit in her girly side by the way.

Reply
avatar
Kristin
AUTHOR
7:59 PM delete

I was just like Devyn many years ago. I was on top of that dirt pile and ready to get dirty....the whole time with pink finger nails and the satisfaction of just helping mom make cookies!

Now, many years later, I'm doing the grocery shopping AND riding my brothers 4-wheeler:-) So, don't worry, I don't think Devyn will grow out of this phase too quickly :-)

Reply
avatar