My "Live Wire"

Thursday, April 24, 2008 8 Comments A+ a-

I did a thesaurus check on "extrovert" and one of the options that came up was "live wire". I couldn't pass it up...

It’s amazing watching the differences come out in my children, and I’m not referring to the obvious gender differences. I’m referring to personalities. While Devyn is timid, shy, and introverted, Hudson is outgoing and extremely extroverted.

Case in Point #1: Hudson will lean out of his seat in the cart at any store to ensure that a passerby will see his smiling face and friendly wave. Its amazing to see this little person take such joy out of making others, even complete strangers, smile. And who can help but smile at his mischievous grin?

Case in Point #2: We were at the dentist’s office last week for Devyn’s first check-up. As I was filling out the appropriate new patient paperwork, an older gentleman in his sixties walked in. Without qualm, without hesitation, Hudson walked up to the man (a man who did not resemble anyone in our family) and held up his arms to be picked up. Chuckling, the older man picked him and planted Hudson on his hips. When I tried to retrieve my son, Hudson buried his face in the older man’s neck and would not let go. Imagine the horror I felt that Hudson preferred a stranger over his own mother! Again the man chuckled, told me that as long as I didn’t care, he was fine with holding Hudson.

Case in Point #3: At any park, any play place, Hudson is the first to interact with children. At one indoor play place, Hudson walked up to a little boy about four years old. This boy was obviously feeling sad about something, just lying on the floor in the midst of running children. Hudson sat next to him, laid his head on the boy’s back, and offered whatever companionship he could at the age of one. Within minutes, the two of them were running around the play place together.

I think it’s great that Devyn and Hudson are so opposite each other in that regard; I think they’ll be a great balance for each other. He’ll offer the daredevil, where she’d normally hold back. And she’ll offer the reservations, when he wouldn’t think twice. At least, I hope that’s what happens in the years to come. I know that chances are, more often than not, one will lead the other right into trouble. But a mother can dream, right?

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

8 comments

Write comments
Amy
AUTHOR
10:01 AM delete

Jenn, I can't believe how much Griffin sounds like Hudson!! It is so crazy! And then there is Parker;)I betcha if we got the four of them together again soon, we would have some laughs! Someday...:) love, Amy

Reply
avatar
Kamma
AUTHOR
5:53 PM delete

That picture of Hudson is SO CUTE! He is such a cute little peanut :) Sounds like lots of reasons to be full of joy and feel totally blessed. Love you!

Reply
avatar
LPDraper
AUTHOR
11:18 PM delete

Okay, seriously. I could copy and paste this onto our blog (which, of course I wouldn't)and have it be about Ian!!! Our boys sound SO much alike.

Reply
avatar
7:13 AM delete

I love to ponder the differences in my children. I feel like my first two are polar opposites, and that my third is a combo of the two. But, we will see only time will tell. Introverted children are so sweet and want Mama only, and that is precious. And, extroverted children are so silly and fun to be around!! Both are a blast! Viva la difference!!

Reply
avatar
Haley
AUTHOR
12:45 PM delete

Awww that picture is so cute! He could almost fit in the bowl!

Reply
avatar
Becoming Me
AUTHOR
9:25 PM delete

Sounds like my daughter. I love the live wire descriptor

Reply
avatar
Lorena
AUTHOR
2:16 PM delete

Those stories are great. I love the one about the dentist's office. Just imagine all the girls he is going to attract as he gets older!

Reply
avatar