Here Today, Gone Tomorrow

Tuesday, April 08, 2008 6 Comments A+ a-

I've been in training the past couple of days, two full days in a row... and my kids and I are reminded how thankful we are for me to be part-time. Yikes, I forgot what those days are like! Yesterday was an incredible training involving graphic design, colors, fonts, photos, graphics, etc. and I loved...every...minute...of...it! I'm so jazzed to return to work and get started on recreating some employee booklets, fliers, brochures, and the like.

Then today's training class was titled "I'm Juggling As Fast As I Can". You can probably guess what this class was about; the title made me smile and I knew that I had to take it!! It was a good class, an okay class, but the best part came when the trainer asked us to write down what five things would go unfinished if we were to die tomorrow. Granted, I'm sure I'd be way too excited to be spending some face time with my Lord to care about the unfinished business on earth, but here were my answers.

1) Growing old with Jon - I have spent over 10 years with my husband; we have both changed immensely in those 10 years and I can't imagine not getting to spend the next 50 or 60 years with him. I want to see him in his old age; I want to laugh at the same jokes; I want to cry over the same memories; I want to wake up when I'm 75 and see his face next to mine. Honestly, I would miss growing old with him.

2) Watching Devyn and Hudson grow into adults - This is something else I would hate to miss. I want to see what talents and gifts God has bestowed on my babies; I want to see personalities grow and change; I want to be there for the days that they accept Jesus as their own personal, Lord and Savior; I want to be there for baptisms, first dates, dances, youth group all-nighters, graduations, birthdays, weddings, and the births of my grandchildren. I want to be there for all of their memories.

3) Seeing my sisters as mothers - Oh my sisters, my girls, I don't write about them nearly as often as I should, especially with how much time I spend with them. They are all beautiful women, inside and out. I am so proud to be their sister and so thankful to call them friends. And I know each of them is going to be an incredible mommy someday. And I want to be here to witness the moment they fall head over heels for a baby no bigger than a flour sack. Plus, I want to be the "cool" aunt and I would miss all of that if I were to die tomorrow.

4) There was something listed here but I already forgot it. Hmmmm... maybe a memorization training class should be next.

5) Finishing my book - Yes, that's right. There have been a select few that know that I've been writing a book these past couple of months. I swore them all to secrecy because *gasp* what if I never get published? How humiliating that would be! But you know what? I've decided I no longer care. I'm putting this, my most secret, private dream, out there for the world to see. I've wanted to publish a book since I was a little girl; seeing all those shiny, pretty covers in the library and I hoped to see mine there someday. Why haven't I done this before now? Because I was (and still am) afraid of failure. But I've decided that if I'm to tell my children they can achieve anything they want in this world, as long as they try, then I might as well take my own advice. And if I never get it published, then in the words of my sister, Courtney, "You will still have written a book" and that, my friends, means I tried.

So there you have it, my list of things that would go unfinished if I were to die tomorrow. And my most fervent, secret dream. Now you all will have to hold me accountable to actually finish it...

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

6 comments

Write comments
CPT Mom
AUTHOR
7:36 AM delete

Wow. Courtney is a wise woman.

How exciting for you, Jenn.

I love your list.

I, too, can't wait to see your sisters as mommies. I love being the youngest great aunt I know :)

Reply
avatar
Deidre
AUTHOR
7:48 AM delete

So glad to here your fears aren't keeping you from trying. How exciting to be writing a book ... can't wait to read it one day :)

What a question to think about ... what would go unfinished if I died tomorrow? I'll be thinking about that all day...

Reply
avatar
Wendy
AUTHOR
7:49 AM delete

What is your book about? That is exciting!

Reply
avatar
Courtney
AUTHOR
9:53 AM delete

Hmmm... I kind of want to make my own list now.

Reply
avatar
Jaime
AUTHOR
1:33 PM delete

A book? How exciting! I hope you do finish it, 'cause I'd love to read it someday :)

Reply
avatar
crystal
AUTHOR
5:22 PM delete

A book! How exciting! I'm sure it will be great and I cant wait to read it. What a question though. Oh Gosh..What would go unfinished if I died tommorow..besides some of the things that you listed you know..like growing old with hubby and watching the kids grow...Now I want to make my own list.

Blessings and Prayers
Crystal

Reply
avatar