To Do or To Ignore

Monday, March 17, 2008 9 Comments A+ a-

I am around… I am just too busy reveling in the fact that I’m feeling more like myself with each passing day to stop and blog about it.

That and I’m actually getting things done around the house for the first since oh, about a year! In the midst of my depression/anxiety, I discovered the best way to deal with those to-do lists that nagged at me constantly. Ignore them! Yep, seriously, folks, if you’re feeling overwhelmed, stressed out, or got too much to do, grab a book and pretend the lists don’t exist. It’s a temporary solution that has worked well for me since Hudson was born. Those 0-9 month clothes sitting in Hudson’s dresser, well, that can wait until he goes to kindergarten, right? Or the bathroom that looks like toilet paper exploded in there? Its biodegradable, surely we can wait 5-10 years and it’ll look good as new. And those piles of laundry… well, they’re well-hidden by the fact that the washer and dryer are in the basement and any guests stay upstairs when visiting. I see no need in pointing out that Hudson has gotten lost in the mountains of towels, onsies, and jeans.

Seriously, folks, you think some of this is in jest, but I kid you not that this was my coping mechanism for the past year. I became an expert at putting my head in the sand whenever I thought about my large, overwhelming to-do list. But now that I’m seeing a therapist that is actually interested in helping me create some coping skills when it comes to my crazy life and that I seem to be on the right (lower) dosage of medication, I’m happy to report that I’m actually starting to feel like myself again, so much so that I’ve cleaned out Hudson’s dresser. Jon can actually pull out pants or a top and not wonder if it’s going to fit him. I also painted Hudson’s room over the weekend and tackled the mountainous range of laundry that’s formed in the basement. (In my defense, I WAS without a working dryer for two weeks. The new one just arrived last Thursday and I’ve been playing catch-up ever since.) And as far as the bathroom is concerned, I swear I’ll get to that tomorrow or Wednesday. But it does look like of pretty in there… all white and fluffy… I’m sure that’s what Hudson was thinking too, when he got his hands on the stuff.

I’m back and feeling great!

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

9 comments

Write comments
Liz
AUTHOR
6:16 PM delete

That is wonderful!! I am so happy that you are feeling great. Doesn't it feel so awesome to get something accomplished...maybe someday I will be able to also! :)

Reply
avatar
Mary Hess
AUTHOR
6:49 PM delete

Awesome! Welcome back! :)

Reply
avatar
8:02 PM delete

hope this trend continues for you :)

Reply
avatar
CPT Mom
AUTHOR
11:34 PM delete

That is great!

I have had the same coping mechanism.
I am working hard not to fall back into the same pattern.

Reply
avatar
proud parents
AUTHOR
6:56 AM delete

I am so glad you are starting to feel better!! Ava loves toilet paper too. It is one of her favorite "toys"!

Reply
avatar
Paula
AUTHOR
3:50 PM delete

good for you. take it one day at a time and enjoy those great days.

Reply
avatar
Melissa King
AUTHOR
5:03 PM delete

Such a great update! I am glad you are feeling normal again. It is so true though, what you said about ignoring responsibility. It is fun to do sometimes...hence why my house looks AWESOME (yea right) right now.

You are so great!

Reply
avatar
Overwhelmed!
AUTHOR
7:50 AM delete

I'm so glad that you're feeling better and that you have a wonderful therapist to help you cope.

I must admit, I've been guilty many times of ignoring responsiblity in favor of reading a good book or even blogging.

When I get home from my business trip I'm sure I'll have lots on my to-do list to catch up with so I'm doing my book reading and blogging while I'm away! :)

Reply
avatar
3:39 PM delete

Oh goodness, Jenn, I could have written this very post myself. That's been my method of coping since Levi was born! Just ignore it...because I don't have the energy to care!! ;-) I'm doing much better now, too, since my meds have kicked in. It's amazing, isn't it, when things in your brain are "right" again?!? Just in the last couple of weeks have I even been able to think about unloading the dishwasher, doing laundry, or cooking! SO glad you're doing better!!! I hope it just continues to get better.

Reply
avatar