Oh, my feet hurt!

Monday, March 10, 2008 6 Comments A+ a-

I have not shopped that purposefully, for that long, EVER! My sisters, Mom, Devyn, and I completed a four-hour shopping spree yesterday afternoon; it seriously felt more like a marathon than an opportunity for bonding. We did not stop for food, we did not stop to gaze; we went with objectives and did not stop until we were done.

We all have several weddings to attend this year; we have three save-the-date cards hanging on our fridge and know of at least three more coming up, not forgetting Courtney’s big wedding in December. Dresses for these events ranked pretty high on the “to shop for” list. Christine and her husband, Caleb, are also going to Hawaii in June (lucky them) and vacation clothes were a must on her list. Courtney graduates with a degree in Psychology in May (I am so proud of you, babe) and needed a graduation dress. It was also Allison’s birthday (hope you had a wonderful day, Alli) and she decided to treat herself to some pretty new tops. My only purpose on this trip was to buy some new, pretty underthings. My drawer is now full of colorful, lacy, satiny underthings; nothing cotton was allowed and was actually prohibited by the husband.

The dressing rooms were full of laughter, chatting, encouragement, and direct honesty. “Yeah, you’re right; this does make me look like a balloon.” Outfits were thrown over fitting room doors, and what didn’t work for one sister, was tried on by another sister. “Alli, that color looks absolutely amazing on you! Why don’t you buy that color more often?” There was bickering. After all, it wouldn’t be a sister outing without the bickering. (We’re all too much alike for there not to be.) “That’s it, I’m outta here, you guys are taking forever!” And if a dress was too small or big, the other sisters were off to find the correct size.

Even Devyn joined in on the act. When I pulled a shirt off the rack and held it up for a closer look, Devyn looked at it thoughtfully, then shook her head, “I no like that shirt, Mama.” I sighed, because she was actually right. Not my style. And because Devyn did absolutely amazing (not a tantrum or tear to be found) on our four-hour shopping excursion, Nana treated her to new earrings at Claire’s. Devyn now has about 20 earrings to choose from and especially adores her new turtle earrings. Thank you Nana!

As exhausted as I was at the end of it, and as much as my feet hurt, it was a wonderful day. The temps were in the low-sixties and few clouds in the sky; perfect weather for our local outdoor mall. And even when I was annoyed at the length of time two sisters were taking in one store, I forgot about it the minute I saw Devyn skipping between the two of them on our way to another store. Life really is sweet! But I don’t think I’m up for another four-hour shopping marathon any time soon.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

6 comments

Write comments
Sarah
AUTHOR
1:55 PM delete

How fun! What I wouldn't give to spend some money on myself, it's been WAY too long. Maybe after baby I'll get to spruce up my wardrobe a bit. Until then, I'm so enjoying all the spring clean/yard projects! Seriously, I told Travis the other day, I think when it comes to hard work and pushing myself, I'm a man inside a woman's body. I love the feeling of working hard to accomplish something, it's just invigorating! See you tomorrow.
Love, Sarha

Reply
avatar
Lange Mom :o)
AUTHOR
4:45 PM delete

Awesome!!!!
I am jealous of your time together and the words "sixty degrees!"

Reply
avatar
Liz
AUTHOR
1:21 PM delete

Oh how fun! What a blessing it is to be so close to your family. Sisters are the best!!

I have to say, I wish it would be sixty degrees here...hopefully soon. :)

Reply
avatar
Kati
AUTHOR
10:20 PM delete

Oh I can so picture it! Fun, Fun, fun!!!

Reply
avatar
Melody
AUTHOR
1:32 AM delete

I'm truely jealous as well. I've always wanted sisters. But being an only I've learned to cope.

I do get to spend some quality time with my mom on occasion. And rarely with a dear cousin of mine. But your shopping trips with your sisters sound absolutely wonderful.

~*Melody*~

Reply
avatar
Amy
AUTHOR
1:37 PM delete

New pretty underthings!! Fun!!

Sounds like a fun and exhausting day. Devyn sounds like such a trooper...wow!

Reply
avatar