An Honorable Generation

Friday, March 28, 2008 4 Comments A+ a-

"There is something singularly beautiful and appropriate in the music of this wonderful call. Its strains are melancholy, yet full of rest and peace. Its echoes linger in the heart long after its tones have ceased to vibrate in the air."
- Master Sergeant Jari A Villanueva, USAF [Taps]


Two Grandpa Al’s; both served in WWII; one went on to father six children, the other was a father to seven; and as of yesterday, both have headstones at the Fort Logan cemetery in Colorado. One Grandpa Al was mine and was buried before I was born; the second was Jon’s grandfather. It’s a little weird to see how lives intertwine, isn’t it?

When driving onto the property, I couldn’t help but become awed at the sight of thousands of white headstones dotting the lawns. Humbleness set in as I realized how many men and women have died for us, just so that I can enjoy the freedoms that we have. There was a sense of pride when I realized that one of those men was my grandfather. Tears pricked my eyes, both in thankfulness for his sacrifice and sorrow that I never got to meet him.

When the funeral procession started and we wound our way through the cemetery, a hush fell over the car. What an impressive sight, and an awesome honor for a man who served his country well. Jon’s Grandpa Al was awarded the Bronze Star, something he never talked about in his lifetime, discovered by his children only after his death. When they started playing Taps, the tears welled up again. And when the newly folded flag was handed to Grandpa's oldest son and the naval officer said, “On behalf of the President of the United States and the Chief of Naval Operations, please accept this flag as a symbol of our appreciation for your loved one's service to this Country and a grateful Navy”, I felt Jon straighten a little and his shoulders pull back in pride.

Theirs was an amazing generation. A generation who did what was right, soley based on their principles and without having to be asked; a generation full of honor, integrity, and strength. And I fear that we may never see a generation like it again.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

4 comments

Write comments
Sarah
AUTHOR
3:30 PM delete

I had the same feelings when we burried my grandmpa, who also served in World War II. As for the honor, integrity and strength of their generation, so true, but perhaps the optimist in me feels that we still have that honor, integrity and strength, at least many of us. It's amazing to me how each generation, as they age, relishes in the "good ol days", seeing them as better than today, better people, better values, better society and government. But some day, today will be our good ol days. It must say something about our perspective, not the actual conditions of the times then. I hope you guys are healing from this loss, each day a little more. Births and deaths, the entry and exit of our brief existence on this earth. Doesn't it always point our hearts heavenward! Praise the Lord for that reminder.
Love, Sarah

Reply
avatar
O Mama Mia
AUTHOR
4:33 PM delete

Thank you. {{bawling}} I'm getting more info from you than Mom, since she's been so busy. ;)
Hugs!

Reply
avatar
CPT Mom
AUTHOR
4:30 PM delete

What a beautiful post.

Thanks for the reminder of the sacrifices that all our generations have made to keep our country free.

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
AUTHOR
11:16 AM delete

Jenn,

Thank you so much for putting into words for what so many of us can't.

We are so blessed to have you in our family.

I love you
Colleen

Reply
avatar