Genetics? Or A Boy Thing?

Wednesday, March 05, 2008 17 Comments A+ a-

It’s a call that I know Jon’s parents received often, a call saying something has happened, come get your son, and take him to the nearest doctor, Urgent Care, or ER. Jon’s trips to these places are legendary, the family often jokes that the staff at the local ER were on a first-name basis with Jon and his parents. I, myself, can’t count how many times I’ve sat in a waiting room (with Jon’s parents) as we waited for a surgery to end, a concussion to be looked over, or stitches to be administered. I knew what I was getting myself into when I said “I do” and Jon continues to be put our medical insurance to the test. Now, he’s passing his torch on to his son.

I was at work when I got a panicked call from my sister, Alli. She blurted out a quick story and ended it with, “You need to come get Hudson and take him to the doctor.” I paused. “Are you kidding me?!” was the first thought that came to mind. The second was, “He JUST turned one!” I made a quick apology to my boss (I’d only been at work a half hour) and rushed back to my parents house, where Hudson sported a big gash above his eye.

It turns out that Alli and Hudson were playing in her bedroom when he noticed an electric cord. And we all know about his obsession with electric cords. He pulled on it and down fell Alli’s pedicure, foot soaking machine… right on top of his eye. Poor thing cried hard and loud for a minute but was soon his smiling self, all while blood continued to drip into his eye. By the time I got there, Mom had done a wonderful job of cleaning out and Devyn was doing her best to play soothing big sister. “It’s ok Bobo, its ok.” But the moment Alli and I left to take Hudson to Urgent Care, Devyn broke down and started crying. My mom said that she was so scared about Hudson’s owie and the blood.

Mom joined me at Urgent Care after dropping Devyn off at school. I was never so grateful for Devyn to be going to preschool, where her mind could be taken off of Hudson’s trauma. Once at Urgent Care, they ushered us right in, confirmed that stitches were needed, and had me try to administer the numbing agent to Hudson’s head. It was soon apparent that wasn’t going to work. So out came the Papoose board and Hudson was soon straight-jacketed. Mom stroked his hair, while I held his head still and alternated between singing “Jesus Loves Me” and “You Are My Sunshine”. Between the two of us, Hudson fell asleep with the numbing agent taped to his head. When the doctor and nurse came into do the stitches, Hudson was a force to be reckoned with. It was the hardest thing in the world to sit in the chair, across the room, and listen to the fearful sobs of my baby boy. He wasn’t in pain, of that I’m certain, but he was absolutely terrified by being held down and having strangers work on his face.

On my way back to work, I started shaking and the queasiness set in. I had done what Moms have done for ages, and will continue to do for generations to come; I was calm, I offered security in the face of fear, I was steady in the midst of chaos. I was everything that I needed to be at that moment. But the minute I was alone and the crisis had passed, I was a mess. I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again, its hard work being a mother. And I’m happy to report that Hudson is back to being himself; climbing chairs, couches, tables, and getting into mischief of all kinds. I know this trip was just the first of many to come, especially since he’s his father’s son.

On our way to Urgent Care; I know it looks like I painted that red on there but its real. And as you can see, he’s still smiling.

This is Hudson wrapped up mummy-like in the papoose contraption. And yes, he’s sound asleep.

One papoose and two stitches later, he is not a happy camper!

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

17 comments

Write comments
HappyMama
AUTHOR
4:35 PM delete

Oh my gosh.. poor lil' Hudson. I'm so glad he's okay. Doesn't your heart just stop when you get the call after something bad has happened to your little ones? Luckily we've never had to take Brooklyn to the ER, but there have been stories that have stopped my heart and put me in full on panic mode, wanting to rush home to comfort her.

It sounds like you did a wonderful job though in being comforting and calm and I'm sure that helped Hudson more than you can imagine. He looks so sad in the last photo though, like he realized he was hurt. And, how sweet of Devyn to be so concerned about her brother. What a wonderful relationship they have!

Praying for a fast and speedy recovery for him. Poor lil' guy!

Reply
avatar
Lange Mom :o)
AUTHOR
4:55 PM delete

Poor Jenn, Hudson and everbody!!!
I am so sorry to hear about thet accident! I was talking to Becky as soon as she walked in the door. She told me about the whole incident. And to think he just turned ONE!!! Boys definitely give a twist to mothering.
Kiss and hug him me, and Devyn. :o)
Love you!'
Auntie Bernie
PS I remember when ALL three boys went to the emergency room the first week of football camp in high school.

Reply
avatar
Stephanie
AUTHOR
4:58 PM delete

Oh my... I can't wait for the fun of trips to the ER. Glad everyone survived okay :)

Reply
avatar
CPT Mom
AUTHOR
5:42 PM delete

Glad that everyone is ok. I think boys cut their mama's life a little shorter with these trips. And I think girls shave a few years off mama during jr high.

Either way, mama's heart's get put to the test :)

Reply
avatar
Amazing Racer
AUTHOR
5:46 PM delete

The adventures that come with being a mama of a boy! Never a dull moment. Glad he's a-ok.

Reply
avatar
Paula
AUTHOR
8:00 PM delete

Oh Jenn! My oh my. You did very well little momma. Poor Hudson and poor little Devyn. I am glad is all back to normal, playing and climbing.

Reply
avatar
proud parents
AUTHOR
9:10 PM delete

Oh my goodness...poor little Hudson. That was a bad cut! I'm glad he is all fixed up. Now I'm sure you have to worry about him trying to pull out the stitches. Well, that's what Ava would do anyway. I can't imagine how scary that must have been for you. I'm so glad everything turned out okay.

Reply
avatar
Jennisa
AUTHOR
10:12 PM delete

Oh no! Hudson, dear...you need to slow down!

Jenn, I feel for ya....that had to be a hard day! :)

Reply
avatar
Heather
AUTHOR
4:37 AM delete

Oh my ... poor little guy! He is such a cutie pie and a real trooper - I couldn't imagine how it must feel for a child to be held down like that! I am dreading that trip that I am sure to make one of these days ...

Blessings!
~Heather

Reply
avatar
Haley
AUTHOR
8:14 AM delete

Oh poor baby! What a sweet sweet boy he is!

Reply
avatar
crystal
AUTHOR
9:25 AM delete

Oh Poor Hudson! Poor Mom! We've had many trips to the ER and many non ER trips...It doesnt get any better. Every time, I am calm and collected for the duration and then I break down.

He really dont look like it bothered him at all until after the stitches.. He is a very blessed little boy to have such a great Mom and little sister to make sure it is all okay.

Love and Prayers
Crystal

Reply
avatar
Amy
AUTHOR
9:31 AM delete

Oh, my gosh...Oh, dear Jenn! What are you going to do with that boy!!

Reply
avatar
Dana Marie
AUTHOR
9:56 AM delete

you're right - he's definitely his father's son! I'm the same as you with how we react to a crisis, calm everyone down, take control, etc. and then when it's over and I'm alone I usually lose it...

Reply
avatar
LPDraper
AUTHOR
3:17 PM delete

Poor sweet boy....
Thankfully he'll be back to his normal self in no-time!

Being mom to a boy isn't for wimps, that's for sure!!!

Reply
avatar
Melissa King
AUTHOR
4:59 PM delete

You are such a great mama! And he's so cute...even in pain and pappoosed! :)

Reply
avatar
Stacey
AUTHOR
11:53 AM delete

Oh poor thing! And poor Mama!!! You handled it like a champ!

Reply
avatar
Liberty
AUTHOR
11:56 PM delete

oh no! I hope he gets better soon and I pray that it is not genetic!

Reply
avatar