From Zero to Sixty

Tuesday, March 04, 2008 5 Comments A+ a-

I have to admit that I’m a little paranoid regarding Hudson’s vocabulary because of the issues we’ve had with Devyn. (An update on her in a moment.) Whenever I read about how much other babies Hudson’s age are talking, I pause and wonder if I should be worried. He still doesn’t say Mama, Sissy, Devyn, Hi, Bye-Bye, or Ball. But he can say Dada quite clearly (why am I surprised? Devyn called me Dada until she was 18 months old) and is quite vocal whenever he wants his dada’s attention. I am excited to report, though, that more words and phrases are starting to emerge.

Recently we were having a good-bye dinner with friends that are moving to Hawaii; Kamma taught Hudson how to say candle, as he was quite infatuated with the candles sitting on their bookshelf. Then this morning at breakfast, when Hudson refused to take another bite of Cream of Wheat, I asked him if he was “all done”. He smiled that mischievous, toothy smile at me and said (clear as day), “all done”. He is quite proud of his new words and repeats them often. However, no amount of coaxing will produce either Mama or Sissy. *Sigh* We’re starting to see this stubborn streak in Hudson and I’m sure we’re just beating our heads against a brick wall until he’s ready to say those words himself.

As for Devyn, I am amazed at the progress she’s made in the three months since she first started going to speech therapy. There are times when Jon and I exchange a look over her head, both in awe of her conversational skills and wondering when she’s going to take a breath. Devyn still has some speech-sound issues, meaning she get particular letters and sounds mixed up. She’ll often replace D with K, confuses G and T, etc. Since Devyn aced her hearing test, Miss Deb (the therapist) believes that this is mostly due to the fact that she’s only been talking for a short time and should remedy itself. But to speed things along and at Miss Deb’s suggestion we’ve been working with flash cards and appropriate sounds. I haven’t seen a difference there yet, but I know that perseverance will pay off. It’s wonderful to watch her self-confidence (and vocabulary) blossom.

So, at the moment, we have a man of few words (literally) and a chatter box that won’t stop. Fun, huh?!

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

5 comments

Write comments
Amazing Racer
AUTHOR
4:36 PM delete

A mama has yet to be uttered from my boy, but you'd better believe I'm believing God for it!

Hudson will not be able to resist calling for you or Sissy for long!

Reply
avatar
Wendy
AUTHOR
4:51 PM delete

Glad to hear it is going better w/Devyn.

Reply
avatar
CPT Mom
AUTHOR
4:56 PM delete

I didn't hear mama intentionally until close to 18 months. Now it never stops!

Glad to hear everyone is chatting it up at your house :)

Love you.

Reply
avatar
Melissa King
AUTHOR
11:37 PM delete

I didn't know Devyn had speech problems. Is Miss Deb at Children's therapy at PVH? I think I know who she is. Cody had to see an occupational therapist to teach him how to eat. We saw Miss Lisa. I always saw Miss Deb in the lobby with other kids. She was so nice.

Cute little Hudson. Cody called me Dada until he was about 18 months too. He talked like crazy, but was so stubborn he refused to call me mama. So cute the first time I heard mama. I am sure Hudson will take off like crazy with talking.

Reply
avatar
HappyMama
AUTHOR
8:41 AM delete

So glad Devyn is improving.. how wonderful! And, I bet Hudson's little voice is so precious! You're a lucky Mama!

Reply
avatar