Wedding Gown - Take II

Monday, February 18, 2008 13 Comments A+ a-

There are a lot of things that contributed to the idea of this post. One, reading Sarah's post about trying on her bridal gown again. Two, watching my sister Courtney try on wedding gown after gown and feeling a sense of nostalgia. And three, talking with my cousin/friend, Kara, about our weddings that took place almost six years ago. In fact, the discussion with Kara was the deciding factor. We married cousins just two months apart, planned our weddings side-by-side (often comparing notes and details), and we both just received our wedding gowns back from relatives (hers was with her mom and mine took storage in my aunt's closet). Kara and I decided that it would be so much fun to try on our wedding gowns again, take pictures, and share them with one another.


First, here is Kara, looking absolutely amazing in her wedding gown. Check out those buff arms! Would you guess that she has a 17-month-old daughter?! Wow!

And then, here is me. I took this on Saturday, after spending another day wedding gown shopping with Courtney, Mom, and the rest of the sisters. Suffice it to say, I was even more eager to try my dress on again. And with much effort, Courtney managed to zip me up in my wedding gown. I fell in love with my gown all over again. Seriously! It brought so many wonderful memories! Devyn was awed by my princess dress, and even made me spin several times in it. Hudson could have cared less. But the best reaction was BY FAR, Jon's reaction.



We were gathered at my parents' house getting ready for Hudson's birthday party and I was waiting for Jon to arrive to show off my attire. When he walked into the kitchen, I was at the stove, cooking pasta for the salad. He walked in and that slow, lazy grin crossed his face before he came over and took me in his arms for a kiss. Oh, it was almost like being a bride all over again.

And so, I think I'm going to end this post with a challenge and contest of sorts. Our bridal gowns are more than likely one of the most expensive pieces of clothing we've ever bought for ourselves, yet I'm placing bets that most are sitting in closets forgetten, gathering dust, and wrinkled. We've forgotten when we pulled out that dress at least once a week, daydreaming of the big day's arrival, wondering how our groom would react upon seeing us in that confection of white. Why not take out those wedding gowns and try them on again? Why not remember what it was like to don that dress with butterflies in our stomachs? And seriously, why not cook at the stovetop in your wedding gown?! Are you really planning to wear it again? And let's be real, the chances your daughter wanting to wear that gown someday are slim to none. And even if she does, that's why they invented dry cleaners.

I'm asking for photos, of all you women in your wedding gowns... for a second time, not the first. I welcome all photos... funny, sentimental, posed, doing crazy things like cooking or changing diapers, or even just holding them up against your body. I'm going to do a giveaway, I just haven't decided what yet, in fact, if you want to give me some ideas for the giveaway, leave me a comment. I'm looking for something "wedding" related, be it lotions from Victoria Secret or a gift certificate to Bed, Bath, and Beyond. And if you want to participate, send me your photos to biggest_blessings at yahoo dot com by the end of the day on Saturday, February 23rd. I'm looking forward to what I'll receive!

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

13 comments

Write comments
Melissa King
AUTHOR
10:39 PM delete

Oh, this should be fun! I don't even think it will go over my hips anymore. We'll see what I come up with. :)

Reply
avatar
Stacey
AUTHOR
8:49 AM delete

To be honest, this challenge makes me a little sad. I wish I was that skinny again and it makes me depressed that I am not. (You know all the reasons with my health).

Lord, grant me the grace to let go of the me who once was and embrace the me I am today.

I fear that pulling my gown out and being so blatantly reminded of how very different my body is now than it was 6 years ago will serve to further depress me about it and keep me from embracing the me in the mirror today.

I am really going to have to think about this.

I wonder if I am the only one whose body is not just slightly different, but drastically different than when she got married. Am I alone in this?

Reply
avatar
9:05 AM delete

Reply to Stacey above---LOL! No, you are not the only one. I am currently about five months pregnant, and I just laugh at the thought of trying to pull that slim size 4 dress over my huge belly right now! However, I dunno know, could be a good challenge for, oh, say, six months from now! And, I love Jenn's idea. I've always regretted the fact that I only got to wear that gorgeous dress once! Maybe I'll save this challenge for a special night after the baby is born :)

Reply
avatar
Amazing Racer
AUTHOR
9:24 AM delete

Cpt and I are so doing this. We'll be forwarding pics soon.

I just love weddings.

Reply
avatar
Liz
AUTHOR
10:14 AM delete

What a fun idea! Yeah, I really can't fit into my dress right now, being 9 months pregnant and everything. :) I think your new rules are a good idea too!

I also wanted to say, some friends and I had a wedding dress party about a year ago. We all put on our dresses (most of us didn't fit into our dresses very well, but we got creative in how we wore them...Like I wore a white tank top under mine and had my hubby pin the back to the tank top), and then we had o'dourvers and dessert. We brought out wedding pictures and talked about how our husbands proposed, etc. It was so much fun! We are thinking about doing it again! :)

Reply
avatar
Wendy
AUTHOR
10:29 AM delete

Hi Jenn, I posted mine. My 12th anniversary is this weekend and my daughter has been asking me to try it on, so your post was very timely for me.

You and your sister look beautiful!

Reply
avatar
Christina
AUTHOR
12:26 PM delete

Jenn: You look beautiful in your dress!!!! I will think about this one. It would be very funny to see my DH's reaction! I will let you know...

Reply
avatar
Dana Marie
AUTHOR
6:41 PM delete

if my dress weren't 2,000 miles away in the land of love I would totally pretend like i could play along in this game... even with my baby belly. haha!

have you heard of trashing your wedding dress? as soon as i lose my baby weight i plan on going into the mountains and rivers and taking some pretty cool pictures :)

Reply
avatar
Carrie
AUTHOR
7:53 PM delete

I was going to mention trash the dress too! I just read about it when i was doing some photography research for a potential client. I saw pictures of a bride swimming in her dress!
Sorry I won't be joining in this fun idea. My dress won't fit. Darn those last 10 baby weight pounds!

Reply
avatar
11:30 PM delete

Woow u r looking gorgeous in tat dress,tat is fabulous... Thanks for sharing with us.
www.lifeinfozone.com/category/clothing-accessories/bridal-accessories/

Reply
avatar
crystal
AUTHOR
12:03 PM delete

I'm with Stacey on this one! Even though I love the idea and hopefully someday I will be able to fit back into my dress, 3 babies in four years is not the best for a body. And it would swallow my 4.5yr old. No I dont think i will participate but I love weddings and my daughter loves all the "princess's" so we will enjoy looking at all the pretty dresses. Thanks Jenn for a great idea.

Blessings
Crystal

Reply
avatar
Elise
AUTHOR
7:56 AM delete

I love this idea- I just wish mine wasn't in storage! :( I'll try do it, though, and post pictures after we move! What a fun idea! (btw- mine won't close either, I'm almost sure of it- but I can't wait to see Eliana's face!)

Reply
avatar
Maui Weddings
AUTHOR
2:34 AM delete

I love that lovely wedding dress....

Reply
avatar