Time Alone

Friday, February 08, 2008 9 Comments A+ a-

Something has been “off” all week. And by off, I mean I haven’t been myself. Those feelings of anxiousness and worry have pretty much ruled my emotions, my week, and my family; not the greatest week I’ve had recently. I’ve been going through a checklist of sorts, trying to pinpoint the cause of my anxiety. Did I bite more off than I can chew by deciding to head a reunion committee, trying to bring together a class of 420+ graduates? Well, yes, but that wasn’t it. Was it the growing pile of laundry taking root in my basement? Nope. Was it running from the library to work, or bible study to work, or doctor appointments to work? Yeah, it’s been a busy week. Is my sister’s infertility the underlying cause of my worry? Of course I’m concerned, of course I’m constantly praying for her, but no, I’ve finally been able to give that problem over to God. I just couldn’t put my finger on what was causing this anxiety.

And then this morning I was given a gift…the gift of alone time. Jon had the day off, due to the fact that he’d reached his 40-hour work week by the end of the day yesterday. And so with a Starbucks gift card in hand, I headed out the door and to the nearest Starbucks where I ordered my usual venti, mocha Frappuchino. (Hey, I never said I was a die-hard coffee drinker; I like my drinks fluffy.) I curled up into one of their big, oversized fluffy chairs and spent time alone. Oh the sheer joy of reading without interruption, the quiet of not having to break up an argument or answer nonstop questions, the fact that I just got to spend time with me.

Don’t get me wrong, I love my babies, more than life itself but it is hard work being a wife and mommy (as most of you well know). I think so often that we forget that we need to take care of ourselves too. We’re no good to our families when we’re rundown from life; when we’re constantly putting their needs above our own. And so, at the first chance that presents itself, I highly suggest you take advantage of the opportunity to head to the gym, to your favorite coffee shop, even to a park, and just spend time with yourself. You’ll be amazed at how refreshed and revitalized you’ll feel; and trust me, your family will thank you for it too!


I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

9 comments

Write comments
2:02 PM delete

Ok so I was having those very same feelings and I feel like I yell more and discipline more because I am so exhausted with taking care of people. Sick people,crying people,throwing up people,people with many demands, people with many questions,people toouching me,people needing me. What if I want to cry and have someone hold me what if I want to ask all the questions what if I want peace and quiet is that wrong? This week I have failed as a mom because of my weakness. Why is it when our families get sick and need us the world stops, and when we are sick the world must go on. That is why a mother's job is never done. I can totally relate with this. I love you transparency.

Reply
avatar
2:02 PM delete

Ok so I was having those very same feelings and I feel like I yell more and discipline more because I am so exhausted with taking care of people. Sick people,crying people,throwing up people,people with many demands, people with many questions,people toouching me,people needing me. What if I want to cry and have someone hold me what if I want to ask all the questions what if I want peace and quiet is that wrong? This week I have failed as a mom because of my weakness. Why is it when our families get sick and need us the world stops, and when we are sick the world must go on. That is why a mother's job is never done. I can totally relate with this. I love you transparency.

Reply
avatar
Christina
AUTHOR
2:35 PM delete

Jenn.....I agree 100%....alone time is SO important. I'm due for some "alone time" myself. :-)

Reply
avatar
Amazing Racer
AUTHOR
2:40 PM delete

great post. and a good reminder, being that my week has been similarly worrisome.

Reply
avatar
Sarah
AUTHOR
3:07 PM delete

Good for you! I've been craving some alone time myself. Wanna here my dream!? A whole weekend, just me and the Lord! I'd love to go to some quaint bed and breakfast in the mountains somewhere, but I know that wouldn't fly with Travis, but maybe a local hotel close by. Ahh... A girl can dream right! Maybe some day...

Reply
avatar
Carrie
AUTHOR
9:49 PM delete

A great post Jenn! I can so relate!
I like to recharge at the Caribou near my house. Recently I was in need of such a respite. The very day I'd reached my breaking point my husband walked in with the mail that included an early birthday present from a childhood friend of mine - a book called "A Treasury of Miracles for Friends" by Karen Kingsbury. Getting that book in the mail on the day I needed it most, was MY miracle.

It was a great read - two hours of touching stories of how God used friendships to work miracles. The only bad part was trying to keep from crying like a baby in a public place.

Reply
avatar
Wendy
AUTHOR
3:04 PM delete

Hi Jenn, Glad you got some time to put everything back into perspective. We all need that.

Reply
avatar
Paula
AUTHOR
6:23 PM delete

You are so right. I am glad you got that alone time. All mommy's need that.

BTW~I thought "fluff" coffee was the only wayt to order it!!!

Reply
avatar
Amy
AUTHOR
4:52 PM delete

I just had my alone time yesterday...much needed! The time alone doesn't take care of everything, but it sure helps me stay a little sane:)

Reply
avatar