New Study: New Perspective

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 5 Comments A+ a-

I’ve been quiet for the past several days… very quiet. To the point that my husband began to worry about me, to the point that I had to admit that while the alone time was nice, it didn’t “fix” my anxiousness. (It was a great band-aid though.) To the point that I had to admit that the depression was bad again... all because situations popped up that I obsessed over.

One, we had a health scare with Jon over the weekend, a scare that brought the big, bad “C” word to mind. (Cancer, for those that don’t understand my acronyms.) Why, oh why, does my mind go there first?! Without having a doctor confirm anything, without someone actually telling us we should be worried? Why does my mind always go to the worst thing that could possibly happen? And to top it off, there was no need to worry at all, it was nothing. I guess we can cross that one off my “to worry about” list.

Secondly, Jon and I are bad with finances, and by bad, I mean horrible. We’re only in our second month of trying to make a budget work on my part-time salary and suffice it to say that we’re poor for the rest of the month. Thank goodness that we can try all over again next month but between now and then, I’ll be berating myself for our lack of financial skills. (And no, I won’t be going back to work full-time. I’ve waited too long to go part-time, we will just figure things out soon… I hope.)

But then in our couple’s bible study on Sunday night it was time to pick out a new book for the group. Our pastor came prepared with about 14 different books to choose from; it was a difficult choice to say the least, they all looked amazing. They ranged from the Ragamuffin Gospel to a study on Hosea to a book titled, “It All Goes Back in the Box”. But in the end, the six couples decided to read Max Lucado’s book “Facing Your Giants”. The back cover reads:


“You know your Goliath. You recognize his walk, the thunder of his voice. He taunts you with bills you can't pay, people you can't please, habits you can't break, failures you can't forget, and a future you can't face. But just like David, you can face your giant, even if you aren't the strongest, the smartest, the best equipped, or the holiest.

David. You could read his story and wonder what God saw in him. His life has little to offer the unstained, straight-A saint. He fell as often as he stood, stumbled as often as he conquered. But for those who know the sound of a Goliath, David gives this reminder: focus on giants---you stumble; focus on God---your giants tumble. If you're ready to face your giants, let David's story inspire you. The same God who helped him will help you.”
Wow! Who wouldn’t be excited and thrilled to be involved in this kind of study? Just re-reading the synopsis brought goose bumps to my arms. Jon and I are so eager to start this study; I just pray that I’ll be open to what God has to teach me regarding my Giants. And maybe, just maybe, I can start focusing on God, instead of the Giants that I allow to rule my life.



I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

5 comments

Write comments
Dana Marie
AUTHOR
1:54 PM delete

I called Justin yesterday when I woke up to talk to him on his drive in, as per usual, but it went straight to voicemail. no reason his phone should have been turned off, so my mind nonsensically automatically assumes there was an accident and his car is in flames scorching his phone which is why it's not even ringing.

Something sensible like he had a low battery because he forgot to charge it so had it turned off didn't even occur to me. -so just know that you're not alone, and I'm actually probably worse than you to jump to conclusions!

Reply
avatar
CPT Mom
AUTHOR
3:33 PM delete

So proud of you, Jenn.

The fact that you are willing to work on slaying these giants pleases our God.

Love you.

Reply
avatar
Amy
AUTHOR
4:57 PM delete

Praying for you, Jenn...

I'm excited to hear what comes from the study. I love Max Lucado--great insight. Just think, through all of this, God is refining you and accomplishing what HE desires because he loves you. Love you too...Amy

Reply
avatar
Jenn
AUTHOR
7:42 PM delete

I think it's so good you can recognize your down times and know you need to do something.

Jenn

Reply
avatar
8:18 AM delete

God is talking to me today through you, Jenn! We are horrible at finances as well and are currently facing some tough situations in that area as well as a few others. I have been looking for a new study to do that relates to this time in our lives and God has led me to this post! I am SO excited right now! This is going to be my Valentine's present, I can't wait to get home and read it! THANK YOU, JENN!! :o) Praying for you guys!!!

Julie

Reply
avatar