I've lost all control!

Wednesday, February 06, 2008 13 Comments A+ a-


Some time in the past week, Hudson has morphed from an infant/baby boy, one who was content to stay in one room and play with one toy at a time, into a full-blown little boy who is now into everything. I’m not really sure when the transition took place but now I am constantly on my toes. I am in awe of anyone who can manage more than one boy at a time, you have my full respect!

Hudson is certain that not only does he need to play with every single one of his toys at once, but now he must take each toy, turn it upside down (and inside out, if possible) to figure out a) how the toy is making that noise, b) how the toy can move in that way, or c) how he can possibly destroy it or make it stop. Once he’s figured those things out, then we must act quickly to “fix” the toy, otherwise, he’ll start crying. Last night during bath time, he decided that all toys must be out of the tub, much to Devyn’s dismay. And without further ado, he tossed all the toys, some filled to the brim with water, onto the bathroom floor. The floor was quickly soaked. And when Devyn hopped out to put them back in the tub, he turned around and did it again.

And oh, the joys of outlets, light switches, and electric cords. He is rapturously in love with each of these things. Obviously we have covers on the outlets but he’s still trying his darndest to get them off. As for the light switches, he and Jon have a wonderful ongoing game of turning the lights on and off. Hudson will squeal in delight with each movement of the switch, it’s quite hysterical. And one thing I was not at all prepared for was his infatuation with electric cords. When Devyn was this age, a firm “no” was all she needed to know that something was off limits. This is not the case with Hudson; no amount of hand-swatting, displacement, or diverting of attention will get the point across that something is not allowed, especially chords and TV and DVD buttons.

Hudson has recently decided that he is no longer going to eat baby food, of any kind. No more cereals, no more pureed veggies or fruits, no more meat in a jar, etc. He is done! He must now eat what we are eating or we’d better be prepared with a full rain-coat type suit to catch his objections at being fed something else. I can’t forget to mention that he must now feed himself and quickly stuffs his face full, often with food ending up all over his face, in his hair, and on his clothes. And we are quite aware of when he is finished eating as any leftover food is promptly thrown on the floor.

Oh, my baby boy, it’s hard to believe that he’s going to be a year old next week! Where did the time go? I can’t believe that at this time last year, I was lamenting how large and uncomfortable I was and now a year later I have a little boy on my hands. I was unprepared in so many ways for the differences between a boy and a girl, but I have been given so many unexpected joys too. While he is definitely on the move, there is still nothing he likes more than to plop next to me for a cuddle. While he is definitely testing his limits, there is no one that he loves more than his sissy and will still stop to lay his head on her shoulder or will give her a snuggle for comfort. He is one of the best things that has ever happened to me and this family just wouldn’t be the same without him!


I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

13 comments

Write comments
Amazing Racer
AUTHOR
1:39 PM delete

I just love the differences that make boys who they are! So fun...crazy, active fun!

Reply
avatar
HappyMama
AUTHOR
3:26 PM delete

Oh, but what a cute little boy he is! I just want to eat him up. You and Jon are doing a wonderful job raising him!

Reply
avatar
LPDraper
AUTHOR
3:47 PM delete

Oh my goodness.... I can relate to every.single.word of your post! Ian is SO different from Reagan. Even though Reagan has always been a sassy little girl, who tests her limits, Ian is 10 times that. 10 times the energy, but SO fun too!!
Everyone always told me that boys would be different... who knew it would be this different!

Reply
avatar
Lange Mom :o)
AUTHOR
4:31 PM delete

I am sitting back and SMILING!!!!! What great memories this brings back to me!! Thanks~

Reply
avatar
Stacey
AUTHOR
4:47 PM delete

Hee, hee, hee. That is so cute! I love boys!!

And wow! He is going to have a birthday, already?!?!?! Where did the time go, my dear friend??

You are a great mama!

Reply
avatar
7:26 PM delete

I think every mom of boys must go through this! I know I am. Just when you think they're safe, they manage to climb up something else, tip something else over, or fall off of something unimaginable! But oh, don't those hugs and sweet baby boy smiles make it so worth while? :)

Reply
avatar
crystal
AUTHOR
9:57 PM delete

He is so cute! And all boy! It seems like it is mostly the boys that just saying "no" or spatting their hand will not work. They have to see what whatever it is does and they are not going to quit until they figure it out. But you gotta love the snuggle time.

Blessings
Crystal

Reply
avatar
Kati
AUTHOR
10:02 PM delete

Ah yes...Sounds just like Kallen. You mean it wont be that way with Kynlee???

Reply
avatar
Liz
AUTHOR
10:28 PM delete

I know all about it! :) My little guys add more energy then I know what to do with, But I wouldn't trade having boys for anything.

I can't believe your baby is almost a year! He is such a beautiful boy!

Reply
avatar
Dana Marie
AUTHOR
8:13 AM delete

it was the craziest thing--the picture of Hudson looks tons like Justin's baby pictures at about that age... blonde/light brown hair with soft curls and the smile with dimples! how bizarre! :)

Reply
avatar
Amy
AUTHOR
7:58 AM delete

I think that God makes the mischievous ones extra cute--He has to! I think you've got the best of both worlds in that boy...mama's boy, but ALL BOY!

I keep remembering last year at this time and how I thought it was so unfair for you to have to be pregnant so long:)) A whole week can feel like forever when you're waiting for you baby!

Love you! Amy

Reply
avatar
Wendy
AUTHOR
3:05 PM delete

He is adorable! I can't believe he is that big already, seems like he was just born!

Reply
avatar
Melissa King
AUTHOR
9:48 PM delete

So sweet! Definitely sounds like a boy. Now my hopes are up to have a girl and see how easy they are. (wink wink)

Reply
avatar