Do Not Disturb

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 9 Comments A+ a-

I was kicked out of bed last night. You’d think it was my husband who did the kicking, but you’d be wrong. It was the teeny, tiny legs of my one-year-old son. I’m starting to feel really bad for his future wife.

Here’s the deal. Every night between 7:30 and 8:00, we lay Hudson in his crib and he’s out within 15-25 minutes. He’s been putting himself to sleep, often by singing to himself. It’s really too adorable for words. However, he’s still waking once a night and at that time, I just bring him back to bed with us. (Call me lazy, call me indulgent, call me… never mind, just call me lazy.) And there he’ll stay until morning.

Here’s the problem, he is the most restless sleeper I have ever encountered. I can’t tell you how many times we’ve woken to find a foot in our face, his head on our stomachs or backs, or he’s hogging the pillows. I’ve never felt and/or seen such thrashing or tossing and turning around. And here’s the kicker, he’s sound asleep the entire time he’s doing it! Last night, I had approximately three inches on the side of the bed to myself. Hudson was laying with his head on my neck and his feet against Jon’s back. Seriously, the kid was vertical with the headboard. Wouldn’t you know it? He started stretching and pretty soon I found myself without a place to lie. Good grief!

There is one solution and it’s the only position that he seems to enjoy, he actually won’t move at all. I have to lay him between Jon and myself, above the covers, and he has to be upside down, meaning his feet are where our heads are and vice versa. You think I’m kidding? Or at the very least exaggerating? I wish…

I wonder if he and his wife will have to have separate beds, or if she’ll be okay with snuggling his legs all night long.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

9 comments

Write comments
Sarah
AUTHOR
5:20 PM delete

How funny, or not so funny! I think their sleep thrashing must mellow with age though, you can only hope right. Sounds like you've found a cure for your middle of the night lazy's. I'd say, right back to bed my son, or perhaps never out to begin with eh? Good luck with all that!
Love, Sarah

Reply
avatar
Jennisa
AUTHOR
7:27 PM delete

This happens with Liv too. Around 1 or 2, she wakes to come to bed with me. Can't say that she's as restless as your Hudson, though!

Someday we'll WISH they wanted to cuddle (or thrash) with us, won't we?!

Reply
avatar
Melissa King
AUTHOR
9:48 PM delete

That's hilarious. I have only let Cody sleep in my bed twice and I hated every minute of it. I don't know what I will do when he starts climbing out of his bed and into ours.

There is nothing I hate more than being kicked out of my own bed...so I totally feel your pain. Good luck getting through this!

Reply
avatar
Sara
AUTHOR
8:43 AM delete

I have to say, some times it freaks me out how similar our little ones are! Maybe it is there age and that they are boys or that they are the second child... But it sounds just like Ashton! However, since Ethan is 4 and still climbs into our bed most nights I put Ashotn back in his bed as soon as I can. I am ready to have my bed back, and am NOT gonna spend the next 4 years with ANOTHER person in our bed! Ha!

Reply
avatar
crystal
AUTHOR
9:23 AM delete

How cute! Enjoy it because someday youll wonder where the times have gone. They grow up too fast.

Blessings
Crystal

Reply
avatar
HappyMama
AUTHOR
11:51 AM delete

My sister still does this... =)

Reply
avatar
Paula
AUTHOR
12:47 PM delete

I have caught up on reading.

Happy Birthday to that very sweet little boy of yours!!

The wedding dress idae is great. I need to find mine.

I have a very wiggly son myself. So sorry.

Reply
avatar
Elizabeth
AUTHOR
11:43 AM delete

That's adorable! Zack can't sleep in bed with us anymore unless he's ill or I get little fingers poking my eyes or nose.

Reply
avatar
AndiMae
AUTHOR
11:20 PM delete

This is the story of my life too! Elliot is just not as great of a co-sleeper as Audrey was at his age, but I am still not ready to give it up :)

I loved your sweet letter to Hudson- I can't believe that he is already one! And your wedding dress challenge...well, I am too late to try to make it for your drawing, but you've really inspired me to pull mine out of the closet again, if anything, to show it off to Audrey!

Hope you have a happy weekend, friend!

Reply
avatar