Only Mom Will Do

Monday, January 14, 2008 4 Comments A+ a-

Whenever I was sick as a child, Mom would make a bed for me on the couch, complete with my pillow and a comfy blanket. I got first dibs on the tv shows or movies that we watched and Mom was at my beck and call. I was served soup, toast, and medicine at my couch/bed and as miserable as I felt, I didn't want to be anywhere else. There's something about being sick and needing Mom that go hand-in-hand. "Mom" offers something that one can't find anywhere else... unconditional love, comfort, and security. There's no one that can take care of you like Mom can.

When we picked up Devyn after bible study last night, we noticed the pink of her cheeks, her warm head, the glassy eyes, and the horrific cough, the cough that hurts the ears of anyone who hears it. We didn't drop her off that way but with the cold running through our family like a weed, we knew it was here for at least a day or two, or longer. It was after 10:00 at night but we made a mad dash to Walmart to stock up on the appropriate supplies and I made a call to the supervisor saying I wouldn't be in today. My baby needed me.

Devyn and I were up every hour last night; her cough shaking both of us awake. She was miserable, every cough making her throat hurt worse. And since it was too soon for more medicine, the only thing I could do was comfort her as much as possible. I laid her head on my chest and ran my fingers through her hair, pausing every few seconds to scratch and stroke her head. When I stopped, Devyn lifted her heavy head and said, "More, Mommy, more." I smiled to myself, only happy to oblige her.

Today she is still very sick, her body so warm to the touch. We made her a bed on the couch, watched Veggie Tales' The Land of Ha's, and when the tylenol didn't bring her fever down, we put her in a lukewarm bath. The best part of the day was when I brought in a popsicle and let her eat it in the tub. Her face brightened and she giggled (as best she could) at the rare treat. She currently tucked into our bed and sleeping the afternoon away.

I wonder what'll she remember of her childhood illnesses; did she find comfort, love, and security in my care? Will she long for me in her twenties when she's sick and far from home? Will she remember a mommy who let her eat a popsicle in the bath? I don't know. But I do know that I'd walk to the ends of this earth to make her feel better; it hurts me to see her so miserable. Its still hard to believe that I've come full circle and am now the mommy. The mommy that still needs her mother whenever I get sick. =) And here's to hoping that Hudson, Jon, and I will be spared what Devyn and her grandparents have shared with each other.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

4 comments

Write comments
Wendy
AUTHOR
4:22 PM delete

Hope she feels better soon.

Some of my best memories are of my mom comforting me when I was sick. Even though it is exhausting for moms, it is good to remember it can be a precious time too.

Reply
avatar
Melissa King
AUTHOR
9:46 PM delete

That is so sweet! You have such a way with words. I am sure she will remember all these times. I still want my mom when I am sick or hurt. You are right, there is nothing like a mom in those times. I hope she starts feeling better. As miserable as it is when they are sick...isn't it so nice that they love to snuggle. That is the only time I get to cuddle with my baby. Enjoy it and get through it soon.

Reply
avatar
Stacey
AUTHOR
4:54 AM delete

Oh, that is so sweet..... I hope she does feel better soon.
And I know this wasn't the point of your post, but try vicks vaporub on the feet - cover with socks and then snuggle down....it will relieve her cough quite a bit. I read about it and then tried it for my kids and they LOVE it!! "Rub my feet, mama, please, with the potion" (I made up a song for the first time so they wouldn't be scared of it..."This is a potion, disguised like a lotion, that God gave us to heal"...lol)

bless you!

Reply
avatar
Stephanie
AUTHOR
3:08 PM delete

Jenn, I found you through a friend's blog. We have been through such a similar situation with one of our twins this past week. Your account touched me. Mine is getting better. I hope yours is too.

Reply
avatar