3-P's, Walking, and an Update

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 9 Comments A+ a-

Pacifiers - As in we're a no-pacifier household. Do you know how stoked I am about this?! How truly exciting I am that we're not lugging around 3-4 pacis just in case one goes lost? Devyn accomplished this feat in one night, she asked for her paci twice the first night and hasn't since. (With the exception of today, she's seeking anything that'll bring her comfort.) Whew! Cross that one off our list.

Preschool - She attended her first day of preschool last week and loved it. She keeps asking to go back and was quite distraught when I said she couldn't go today. I'm sorry, love, but I couldn't possibly impose this sickness on other families. She's seems to be grasping so many new concepts already; she's starting to get her colors right, and something must have kick-started potty-training. When bring me to the next P.

Potty-Training - Last Friday, Devyn woke up wanting to wear big girl panties. This is HUGE! Every time we put big girl panties on her, she'd cry for her diapers. So for her to suggest them and then wear them all day made me want to do a happy dance. And she's been wearing big girl panties ever since (again, with the exception of naps and bedtime, but even then she's waking up dry!). We've only had 2 accidents and those were both on Friday, no accidents since then. And today, for the first time, she went potty without any nudging from me. I was in the living room and I heard her say (in her raspy voice), "I went potty." More happy dancing from the mama. I guess there is something to be said about waiting until they're ready.

Walking - Yes, friends, our (now) 11-month-old is officially walking. It was a big weekend in this household. Hudson is still a little afraid of letting go of the wall (or couch or chair or table) but he's taking 6-7 steps at a time! He is incredibly tiny (less than the 5th percentile), so its a little weird seeing someone so small walking around the house but we are thrilled. And if his toothy smile is any indication, he's mighty proud of himself.

Sick Update - We're on our third day of being house-bound with this horrible cold/cough/congestion that Devyn has. The only time we left was to take Devyn and Hudson to the doctor. Fortunately, Jon and I chugging Airborne like crazy and have yet to get sick. Hudson isn't too bad, just running a low-grade fever. But our precious three-year-old was put on steroids to clear her passageways. However, I think we've turned a corner. I tried Stacey's idea of vapo rub on the feet and covered her feet with socks last night and wow! was I impressed! Not only does her congestion seem better but she broke her fever during the night. So, friends, I highly, highly suggest vapo rub and socks! And another positive note, Devyn loved the vapo rub too, she kept asking for more.

Well, that's it in our household. Whew! We've hit many milestones in the past two weeks and there's another coming up next month with Hudson's 1st birthday. I don't know where the time goes, or how to make it slow down, but I'm doing my best to enjoy each moment. (Yes, even the ones that involve me playing nursemaid.)

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

9 comments

Write comments
Stacey
AUTHOR
5:12 PM delete

Okay, I always LOVE these types of posts - it's like getting to go for coffee with you and just chat about life! I love it!

Reply
avatar
Wendy
AUTHOR
5:57 PM delete

Yay, lots of exciting stuff happening at your house! I agree w/what Stacey said, I love it too.

Meg has been dry for 2 days this week, so I'm joining you in celebrating! Woo hoo!

Reply
avatar
Monica
AUTHOR
8:52 AM delete

Congratulations on all the milestones you're experiencing this week!!! I'm working on two of them (no pacis and potty training) at the moment as well.

Reply
avatar
Mary Hess
AUTHOR
1:44 PM delete

Yes! Yes! Yes! The vicks on the feet is awesome! We've used that several times and it works!

Congrats on all the milestones. That's great news!

Reply
avatar
Melissa King
AUTHOR
2:15 PM delete

Wow! what a fun and exciting week you have had. Congrats on it all. I hope your kiddos start feeling better. poor little Devyn on steroids. That doesn't sound so good. Both your kids are so adorable. I can't believe Hudson is 1 already...and he's walking. Cody didn't walk until 15 monhts and he is very little too. Cody isn't even on the charts he's so small. So, if you ever need high calorie feeding advice...I've got plenty! Hopefully you won't ever need it.

Reply
avatar
HappyMama
AUTHOR
2:33 PM delete

Sounds like your family is growing up! That's amazing what all is going on.. I do hope that you kiddos feel better soon. Your mom said that Hudson was getting yucky too.

Love you, Missy

Reply
avatar
Elizabeth
AUTHOR
2:45 PM delete

Hi! I've been lurking for a little while and decided it's time to leave you a comment :) Congrats on all the major milestones! I hope your family gets over this cold fast!

Reply
avatar
Elizabeth
AUTHOR
2:45 PM delete This comment has been removed by the author.
avatar
Elizabeth
AUTHOR
2:45 PM delete This comment has been removed by the author.
avatar