10 Years Later - Part II

Monday, January 28, 2008 8 Comments A+ a-

I was never sure if I would attend my 10-year high school reunion. I tended to lean towards not attending, simply because I didn’t think ten years was long enough to be apart. And then I started coming around to the idea, I found myself wondering how classmates were doing and enjoyed reconnecting with some of them through MySpace or Facebook. It was great to see how similar or how very different our lives had turned out. Then when my friend, Kim, came home for her bridal shower and the four of us (Kim, Marianne, Amy, and I) got to catch-up and chat with each other, we made an agreement that we’d all attend the reunion together.

That was seven months ago. Since then Amy, Marianne, and Kim have all taken turns asking me if I knew anything about the reunion, if dates had been decided on, etc. I had no information to give and thus started my search about the plans for our reunion. Imagine my shock when I found out that NOBODY had planned, or was planning, anything. No high school reunion? You’ve got to be kidding me! And so now I find myself heading the planning committee. I’m not really sure what happened here; I went from not wanting to attend at all to thinking how fun it would be to see everyone to making a commitment to attend with girlfriends to heading the committee?! And so, that it is where I am right now. I am knee-deep in calendar dates, prices, menus, venues, contracts, vendors, and the like… all with munchkins in tow.

I’m not sure why I’ve embraced this project whole-heartedly, maybe it’s that I think everyone should have the option of attending their reunion or not. And if there’s no reunion, then there’s no option. So, ladies, I imagine that the next few months are going to be filled with reunion talk. I’m not expecting the greatest reunion that ever existed, just an opportunity for old classmates to reconnect. I’m really hoping that I haven’t bit off more than I can chew…

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

8 comments

Write comments
Melissa King
AUTHOR
2:38 PM delete

Now you see why I didn't want to do it! I am actually very happy that you are taking care of it. You will do such a great job. And I will be here to help you all along the way. Just say the word.

Reply
avatar
2:43 PM delete

Good luck! My very tiny class had all male class officers that year so I ended up in much the same role. Also being a married couple of 2 made us a majority of the class. It is a lot of work, but I am glad we did it. And NO we will not be planning the next so someone else will have to step up.

Reply
avatar
Amy
AUTHOR
2:50 PM delete

If anyone can do it...you can! You are the woman for that kind of thing--I can tell. I bet you it is going to be an amazing reunion! love you, Amy

Reply
avatar
Courtney
AUTHOR
3:12 PM delete

Dang, that almost sounds worse than planning a wedding. Have fun with that Jenn!

Reply
avatar
Carrie
AUTHOR
8:26 AM delete

In case you're looking for a few ideas here's what worked well for my small town class of 64: For our 5 year reunion we had it at a bowling alley so there was something to do - it took the awkwardness out of standing around hoping you didn't forget anyone's name. Our 10 year reunion was a weekend full of activities. Friday night at a bar for the childless or those with babysitters, all day Saturday at the beach to include the kiddos, and Saturday night at a nice restaurant where we had a couple options for dinner (picked ahead of time). It was so fun to have many opportunities for reuniting with old friends.

Good for you for taking on this task - Can't wait to hear how it all turns out.

Reply
avatar
Christina
AUTHOR
12:01 PM delete

You are a brave woman!!!! :-) I just know it's going to be a blast and you're going to have so much fun.

Reply
avatar
Sara
AUTHOR
12:33 PM delete

I am expecting the GREATEST reunion eer, so you best be doing the same! We can do it, we will do it, and it will be something to remember. Expect great things, and they will happen:) Our small group grows more everyday!

Reply
avatar
1:39 AM delete

You will have a great time!

Boy oh boy, wait until you get to the 20yr reunion!
My 20yr was in 2004 and it was amazing to see how everyone had or had not changed!

Reply
avatar