Head Butts and Love Bites

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 4 Comments A+ a-

I got down on all fours, and then waited until I had Hudson’s attention. As his blue eyes locked with my brown ones, I lowered myself until I was lying on my stomach on the carpet. Immediately his eyes lit up and a big, toothy, mischievous grin swept across his face, he knows my signal for rough-n-tumble time well. He crossed the distance between us, as fast as his crawl would let him, even losing his balance once. As soon as we were able to touch, he lowered his head and butted mine. Ahhh, my heart sighed, so much love in that one little head butt. As my forehead connected with his, he pushed with all his might and then landed face-up, beneath mine. Again that smile lit up his face and with tiny fists holding my hair, he pulled me closer for an open-mouthed, sometimes biting, kiss. Oh my goodness, I could positively eat this child up. For the next ten minutes, he climbed willy-nilly all over my body; pausing every few minutes for a loving head butt. His squeals of joy and his belly laughs so worth the pulled hair, the not-so-tender biting kisses, and the accidental pinches from small fingers. And then, upon wearing himself out, he collapses on my chest to rest. His curls twining themselves around my fingers as I stroke his head; his smiling, tired eyes staring into mine; and his content, rested sighs fill my soul.

I am foolishly, unabashedly, head-over-heels in love with this son of mine.


I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

4 comments

Write comments
Sarah
AUTHOR
7:31 PM delete

What a sweet post Jenn! I could just picture the whole interaction in my mind. Your son is such a sweetie, I think I could eat him myself and I'm not even his mama! I love those rough and tumble times with the girls, although miss Chloe is such a bruiser any more, I actually get hurt sometimes, it's pretty funny. I too can't wait for our coffee date next week! Email with a day and time that will work for you, pretty much any time thursday, friday or on the weekend.
Love, Sarah

Reply
avatar
Jennisa
AUTHOR
8:59 PM delete

Such a beautiful post! I needed to read that, 'cause I didn't have the best days with my little "tornado", as I call her.

You have such wonderful words, Jenn!

Reply
avatar
Aunt Courtney
AUTHOR
9:56 AM delete

That is one of the cutest pictures of Hudson I have seen yet!!!

Reply
avatar
Amy
AUTHOR
12:50 PM delete

And who wouldn't be head over heels? He's so adorable. I love how they just capture our hearts:)

Reply
avatar