*Ding* Fight Over

Thursday, December 13, 2007 8 Comments A+ a-

I am a passionate person; I love passionately and fight passionately; I have strong opinions and strong emotions; I have a temper. Rarely do I show this side on the blog, mostly because becoming a mother has mellowed me some. (Notice I said some… not all.) I am ruled by my emotions, logic rarely plays a part in decisions or thought processes. This is me and Jon married me knowing all of this. Crazy guy!

During the first year of our marriage I really had to “re-learn” how to fight. Don’t get me wrong, I knew how to fight; it usually involved a lot of drama, some threats, and tears… always the tears. (This is what happens when you grow up in a house full of four strong-willed, emotional girls. Have I ever mentioned that our house was nicknamed The Estrogen House?!) However, I needed to learn how to fight fair; I learned many valuable lessons that first year of marriage. I’d like to think I’ve “perfected” the art of fighting but I still have moments when I slip into old habits. Ick.

This week was not fun for me; Jon and I had been at odds for a few days. Rarely do our fights or arguments last longer than a day; rarely do we go to bed without resolving our differences. But this one dragged on… and on… and on. Then I began to notice how unbalanced everything in my life became when I was fighting with Jon. Coincidence? I think not. I walked around with a restless, unsettled feeling deep in my gut. I became even more emotional; the littlest things would set me off. Nothing seemed to go right; even getting the kids and me ready for the day seemed an insurmountable task. In one morning alone, Devyn broke a huge glass candy jar in the kitchen, shards of glass going everywhere; she managed to unscrew the lid to her children’s vitamins and ate approximately 25 of them (I called poison control, she’s fine… just not getting any vitamins for the rest of the week); and managed to take the Christmas tree down with her when she fell off the couch. And that was just ONE morning.

Jon and I are fine now. It doesn’t matter what we were fighting about, nor if there was a wrong or right party. We were able to talk it through, explain our hurt feelings, discuss a plan of action, and make up. (Making up is the best part, don’t you think?!) And last night, when I crawled into bed and Jon’s fingers intertwined with mine, I felt that missing piece slip into place. Even getting ready this morning was easy again. All is right in my world as long as Jon and I aren’t fighting, I need to remember that!

Now… on to dealing with my dying car; which even that is manageable now that the fight is over.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

8 comments

Write comments
Paula
AUTHOR
2:04 PM delete

Very sweet Jenn. YOu are right, when husband and wife are at odds, everything else is off.

BTW~ Colton ate a jar of children's vitamin about a week ago too. It made me nervous also. It amazes me what they can get into.

Reply
avatar
Amy
AUTHOR
2:05 PM delete

I hear you! Things have been tense here as well. We're fine now but I hate that feeling. You are a passionate woman...but that is what I love about you!

Your card, Jenn...I love it so much. You do such a great job. love, Amy

Reply
avatar
4:02 PM delete

Thanks for letting us know you are human! We all have those moments. It is nice to know the perfect outside everyone presents is probably a lot like our reality.

Reply
avatar
Wendy
AUTHOR
4:10 PM delete

I haven't met any married couple that doesn't go through times like that. It can be tough sometimes.

I'm glad things are better. Hope you have a great weekend together!

Reply
avatar
Elise
AUTHOR
8:29 PM delete

I love that peaceful "who even cares?" feeling that comes over when a fight is resolved, or let go. God is so good. We have so much to learn STILL, can you believe it?
Thank you for sharing this piece of you... you are loved.

Reply
avatar
Christina
AUTHOR
8:43 PM delete

Just think...no fighting = no need to make up - where's the fun in that? lol Glad everything is back to normal. ((HUGS))

Reply
avatar
Mary Hess
AUTHOR
1:19 PM delete

Must be in the air!
:)

Reply
avatar
Amy
AUTHOR
10:07 PM delete

Hmmmm, sounds alot like our week here. Glad to know we aren't the only ones who go through those icky weeks.

Reply
avatar