Weekend Recap

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 12 Comments A+ a-

This weekend was, in a word, divine. Jon came home on Friday afternoon to the sound of squeals and animated chatter. It was as though he’d been missing for months, instead of merely days. And the excitement continued throughout the weekend; Hudson flailed his arms and squealed every time Jon walked into the room, demanding to be picked up by his daddy. It was really too cute for words. And while I never got to sleep in, it was ok because it was such a laid-back, easy-going weekend that we both commented about how rested we both felt. It was wonderful.

I got to put in hours (yes, hours plural) on Devyn’s stocking. I’m not sure if you can see the detail in this picture but the tiny details that are involved with this stocking are exhausting. Do you see those red and white squares at the top of the stocking? I had to cut out each and every one, and then sew them on by hand. Exhausting? Yes. Worth it? Totally. And ladies, if I can make these stockings, anyone can. Devyn is truly excited about her stocking taking shape, constantly wanting to see it and touch it. And she is such a great big sister; she is constantly reminding me that I need to make Hudson’s stocking too. Yes, my love, all in due time. I am hoping to finish Devyn’s stocking within the next week or two, take a break, send out the Christmas cards, and then start on Hudson’s stocking. We shall see how my intentions play out.

We seem to be having an issue with our water bill. We received our bill over the weekend and for the second month in a row our bill is over a $150. Jon and I are perplexed; the meter reads say that we’re using approximately 50,000 gallons of water in a single month. “How?” I ask you. We have no lawns to water; we don’t run our dishwasher every night; Devyn and Hudson take their baths together every other night; and I only do approximately five to six loads of laundry a week! We’ve asked around our neighborhood and our neighbors are only using about 4,000 – 5,000 gallons a month, their water bills are averaging about $40-$50. So, yes, we have a call into our water supplier and hopefully there is something screwy with the meter because we have no other ideas and I refuse to believe that we’re actually using that much water.

Last night, the end of our long, three-day weekend, all four of us climbed into our bed, snuggled under the covers, and watched Ratatouille. Seriously, this is one of the cutest movies I’ve seen in a long time; if you can get past the fact that we’re talking about a rat. There were some scenes where hordes of rats are crawling over floors, etc. and I caught myself cringing at the idea of that many rats in one place but overall, a thoroughly enjoyable movie. And quite frankly, it was the perfect end to a great weekend. There we were, our family of four, all cuddled together; Jon and I taking turns holding them, taking pause breaks for tickle wars, and just the overwhelming feeling of being blessed. I know it sounds as though our family is perfect; trust me, we’re not. But for one weekend at least, things seemed to go pretty smoothly.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

12 comments

Write comments
Sarah
AUTHOR
12:32 PM delete

Yikes! There really must be something amise with your meter. Keep us posted, hopefully it can all be resolved quickly. Can't wait to see you guys tonight. And praise the Lord for your restful weekend, we love those around here too.
Always, Sarah

Reply
avatar
HappyMama
AUTHOR
12:41 PM delete

That water bill scares me!! We do run our dishwasher every night, Brooklyn has either a nightly bath or shower and we do have lawns to water. However, our water bill right now is about the $35-$45 mark. I sure hope you get your water issues resolved. There has to be a problem somewhere! Keep us posted. And, isn't it so much fun snuggling with your kids and husband to watch a movie. We haven't seen Ratatouille yet, but Brooklyn does scream "Tooey" every time she sees anything about it whether it be on TV or at a store.

Reply
avatar
Joy
AUTHOR
1:41 PM delete

Aren't weekends like that so wonderful to refresh you?! Hope your week is off to a great start too!

Reply
avatar
Dana Marie
AUTHOR
1:46 PM delete

don't judge me... but I was at the postoffice sending my brother's bday gift and got seriously dorkily excited when I saw the Christmas stamps for sale. I bought two packs immediately in case they sold out and then was bummed when I saw they're an off-white because now I can't get cards with white envelopes (which seriously lessens my possibilities). I'm SUCH a nerd but I LOVE sending out the Christmas cards. -basically when you get yours just know how much thought and silly effort when into it. haha! (as I'm writing this I think it needs to be a post sometime...)

Reply
avatar
sean
AUTHOR
2:09 PM delete

am i the only guy that reads this? i mean really...actually if i am i'm fine with that. i have to keep track of my sisters.

anyway, speaking of ratatouille, could you imagine watching that with my mom? my dad and i did right before i left colorado and she was squirming as much as i've ever seen...you could only imagine the look on my mom's face!

Reply
avatar
2:10 PM delete

Sounds like a wonderful weekend to me!!!

I hope you get your water bill figured out! Keep us posted.

Reply
avatar
3:00 PM delete

Sounds like a wonderful weekend together!! Yay for hubby's being home!

Hope you get your water bill issue sorted out. That is crazy!

Also, with Ratatouille, I agree. It was an adorable movie! We took the kids to the theater to see it this summer when we were in Canada. I cringed a few times - especially seeing all those rats come out of that ladies house - on a big screen. Yuk!

Reply
avatar
Amy
AUTHOR
3:22 PM delete

I really want to have Parker watch that move...but I'm not sure if I can do it with the rats. Oh my gosh, I'm getting nervous just thinking about it! But I have issues...:)

I'm so happy that you had a great weekend. You deserved it after that week! Don't you just love being a foursome? Love you...Amy

Reply
avatar
Overwhelmed!
AUTHOR
6:44 PM delete

Love that stocking! My MIL made stockings similar to that for the three of us and I love them. Filling stockings with small gifts is one of my favorite part of Christmas. :)

We loved the movie Ratatouille too!

Reply
avatar
9:21 AM delete

Wow, I would not have the patience to do that Christmas stocking! I made one for Cosette a couple of years ago, but it was not nearly as elaborate. And I hope they figure out your water meter soon. What a bummer!

Reply
avatar
Just Me
AUTHOR
7:35 PM delete

Sounds like either the meter is messed up (no, duh!) or someone in the neighborhood may be tapping in - like construction people . . . knowing you're gone during the day.

Welcome home, Jon!
Sounds like a blissful weekend!

Reply
avatar
Just Me
AUTHOR
7:35 PM delete

Sounds like either the meter is messed up (no, duh!) or someone in the neighborhood may be tapping in - like construction people . . . knowing you're gone during the day.

Welcome home, Jon!
Sounds like a blissful weekend!

Reply
avatar