Purely Random Thoughts

Friday, November 30, 2007 10 Comments A+ a-

The night before last, I dug out my great-grandmother’s recipe for Scrabble, basically a chex mix. I have such fond memories involving this chex mix and Grammie; every Christmas she’d have her roaster going and the smells of Scrabble would fill the air. Oh, it’s mouth-watering! And last night, those same smells filled my home and instantly I was transported to the days of watching Grammie mix the Scrabble; an apron tied around her waist and a rap across the knuckles for anyone who tried to sneak a taste. *sigh* I miss Grammie.

**********

Lately, I have joked with Jon that I’m ready for another baby, mainly because Hudson just doesn’t count as a baby. Seriously, I have never seen a baby develop as fast as I have with our little guy. He now no longer takes breast milk in a bottle; it must be in a sippy cup. Are you kidding me?! A sippy cup at 9 months of age? Oh man, I have a feeling this little guy is going to keep us on our toes.

**********

Devyn received a Cabbage Patch doll from my sister, Christine, for her birthday. First of all, it is so perfect that Christine be the one to buy my daughter her first Cabbage Patch doll. There is a photo of Christine and I, we’re probably about 7 and 5 years old, each with a wide smile holding our Cabbage Patch dolls that we just received for Christmas. It’s a great picture! And I got a little teary as Devyn opened her first Cabbage Patch doll too. The hysterical thing though, is that Devyn has named her baby, Donna. I have no idea how she came up with that name, no clue where it came from. But she is passionate about Donna and Donna must go everywhere with us. I even caught Devyn giving Donna a bath in the bathroom sink. Donna promptly went into the dryer, much to Devyn's dismay. I wonder if there’s a grand-daughter named Donna in my future.

**********

I am loving my new work schedule. It is so absolutely wonderful to take our time in the morning, to spend time with the kids cuddling on the couch, painting, reading, eat breakfast at a slow pace, even taking time for a quick nap with Hudson. It is wonderful! Yesterday morning I woke up at 5:00am and I just couldn’t go back to sleep. So I left the kids with Jon, ran to Walmart really quick, and got all of our baking and chex mix ingredients in record time. It was great! And then I was able to get back home and share the morning with Devyn and Hudson. I am so thankful for part-time work!

**********

And I really, really hesitate to share this moment with you all. Some of you might shake your head and never read my blog again; I hope it doesn’t come to that but this is me, a real live woman just sharing her life.

Jon’s mom was recently visiting over the Thanksgiving weekend and she and Devyn disappeared downstairs to play with Devyn’s toys. Devyn usually gets out the teapot and cups and will share tea with whoever is playing with her. This time, however, tea just wasn’t going to cut it and instead decided to share “beer” with her grandmother. My mother-in-law, sure she had misunderstood, had Devyn clarify what she had just said. Devyn again invited Nana to partake in “beer”. So, let me get this straight… my daughter cannot say “movie” but can quite clearly say “beer”? Oh my word. How do you explain that one to your pastor?!

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

10 comments

Write comments
6:30 PM delete

I'm lol! Children--they are the pride of our life, but they have a funny way of humbling us as well :) The beer story was just too funny.
And the jokes about wanting another baby are totally understandable. I felt the same way when Eli was nine months and eating more than his big sister :)
Enjoyed your 'random thoughts'

Reply
avatar
Paula
AUTHOR
7:57 PM delete

Carmyn is only 11 weeks and I tell Chris I want more. I think it is normal. We are mommy's who are in love with our children. Grand ideas of the future with a house packed with kids and grankids!!

As to the beer....they all say things like that! Not to worry!!When I taught second grade, you wouldn't believe the things I heard.

Reply
avatar
Christina
AUTHOR
8:08 PM delete

"Oh Donna, Oh Donna" I couldn't resist! lol I loved this post - it's always nice to know what's going on randomly. :-)

Reply
avatar
11:41 AM delete

When our niece was two you could ask her if she wanted a beer, and she would say, "no beer, I'm too young... but not in Mexico!". Her uncle Andy taught her that one.

Reply
avatar
6:24 PM delete

Oh that is so funny!!! Forget about your pastor, how do you explain that to the speech therapist????!?!? Lol!!

Oh man, thanks for the random update - I feel like we just had a good chat on the phone.

Reply
avatar
Just Me
AUTHOR
7:59 PM delete

LMAO! (Ooops! Don't tell my pastor I said that - haha) Yeah girl - that was a great read. Thanks for the randomness! It's fun. I can almost smell that Scrabble.

Reply
avatar
Rachelle
AUTHOR
8:39 PM delete

Great stories! Love the "beer" one. I think the pastor does not need any explanation!

Reply
avatar
Dana Marie
AUTHOR
8:52 AM delete

yummm I want chex mix. my mom always makes it to keep us from starving on Thanksgiving and Christmas before the big meals... I think I'm going to make some this week, I'm inspired. haha!

Reply
avatar
6:31 PM delete

Oh Jen
I can't believe how big Hudson is getting and how much he looks like Devyn!
A third baby...babies are gorgeous and three are fun!
I too would like one more, but are just a little too old. I am so pleased that I did have #3.

Now the beer.....LOL, mine all ask for scotch!
For some reason they think dry ginger ale is called scotch and tell every one that is what they want. I have no idea where it came from as I don't drink scotch!

Reply
avatar
PJ
AUTHOR
2:12 PM delete

I'd love to see the picture of you and Christian with those dolls. That would have been about the time I met you.

Reply
avatar