Like Father, Like Son

Wednesday, November 07, 2007 11 Comments A+ a-

It was his eyes that caught my attention; those deep, clear blue eyes that absolutely sparkled with mischief and life. They were expressive eyes, eyes that shone from clear across the room; they were enchanting eyes. And then I noticed his smile; the crooked, wide smile that flashed brilliantly at whoever crossed his path. When that smile was bestowed, one couldn’t help but return the smile back; it was that contagious. The mixture of those eyes and that smile were a deadly duo, giving him the opportunity to get away with the most mischievous of actions.

We were 15 and 16 years old that night that we first noticed each other. It was our last night in Guatemala during a youth group mission trip; Jon, two other teens, and I had congregated on the floor of the common room. We sat around for hours just talking, teasing, and recapping the two-week trip. And during that whole time I was thoroughly fascinated by him; his eyes, his smile, his gregarious personality. I remember looking at him that night and thinking to myself, “This guy is going to be someone special in my life.” Little did I know that a year and a half later we’d be dating, or that we’d someday be raising a family together.

Ten years later our little boy has joined this family; our little boy that is the spitting image of his father, right down to the sparkle in his eyes and the same infectious smile. And if I thought it was nearly impossible to say no to Jon, just imagine how much harder it is for me to say no to my little man. Hudson flashes that smile at me, the same twinkle in his eyes, and I simply melt into a puddle on the floor. It matters not that he has just strewn every single one of the beads from my stocking kit all over the floor. It matters not that I can’t put him down for fear of becoming deaf from his screams. I’m a sucker for mischievous eyes and a captivating smile.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

11 comments

Write comments
Sarah
AUTHOR
12:34 PM delete

Love it Jenn! Yep, the eyes got me too. Emma's got them now, so I run into the same problem with her. Chloe's got the mischievous grin from Travis, so there you have it! I can't escape it from either child. Then again, I wouldn't have it any other way. I love seeing the man I love in our children every day, maybe that's why our kids look so much like their fathers. God knew we needed to see them more than we would get to.
Love, Sarah

Reply
avatar
Wendy
AUTHOR
1:11 PM delete

So sweet!

My son and husband look very much alike too.

Reply
avatar
Katy
AUTHOR
1:19 PM delete

That was so sweet to read! :)

Reply
avatar
dareth
AUTHOR
3:25 PM delete

What a beautiful post!

Reply
avatar
HappyMama
AUTHOR
4:07 PM delete

I couldn't agree more... It's so hard to say no once you look into their eyes!

Reply
avatar
Dana Marie
AUTHOR
6:30 PM delete

...eyes that sparkle with mischief and life... not that I've stared into your husband's eyes but I think that's a pretty perfect description of the Jon I remember from high school. You're such a talented writer Jenn, such a knack for painting the picture!

Reply
avatar
Just Me
AUTHOR
11:37 AM delete

Awwww. . . that's precious!

Reply
avatar
Kathie
AUTHOR
11:41 AM delete

You have a beautiful family.
Blessings from a missionary family in Costa Rica

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
7:34 PM delete

Oh, I hear you about the screams...or maybe I don't hear you...what's that you said? Eh?

Beautiful family you have Jenn!

Reply
avatar
Amy
AUTHOR
12:39 PM delete

I love that your story goes back so far. You two are so fun to watch together with your children, Jenn!

I find that the eyes say so much about one's personality. And Hudson sure has a sparkle! love you! Amy

Reply
avatar