Let Me Hold You Longer

Monday, November 26, 2007 8 Comments A+ a-

"Precious simple moments and
bright flashes from your past--
Would I have held on longer if
I'd known they were your last?"
~Karen Kingsbury, Let Me Hold You Longer


I often read the book Let Me Hold You Longer to Devyn at bedtime. I love it; simply for the fact that its a wonderful reminder to cherish these moments with my babies. I think as parents we become so focused on their firsts... their first smile, their first laugh, their first step, the first milestones that we look forward to so much. But we rarely stop and hold on to the now, not knowing if this is going to be the last time that you carry them on your hip. Personally, with each milestone that my children reach, it is with both excitement and sadness as I realize I'll never get that "first" back. And it's with that same bittersweet feeling that I celebrate my children's birthdays.

Please tell me that I'm not the only mother that gets teary as each birthday draws near. Please tell me that I'm not the only mother that crawls into their bed on their birthday and just cuddles them close while they're sleeping. Please tell me that I'm not the only mother that runs the story of their birth like a movie in my mind. Please tell me that I'm not the only mother whose throat grows thick at the thought that their child has grown another year older. Please tell me that I'm not the only mother whose is both awed and terrified that God has given me the responsibility of being this child's mother. Wow. I am still as humbled today at the thought of being Devyn's mother as I was three years ago when they laid that tiny baby girl on my chest.

She is beautiful, my baby girl. Sweet, tender, sensitive. She lights up a room with her smile and her spirit is so soft that it touches even strangers in the stores. She is loving, affectionate, funny, and, for the time being, she is mine. I don't know what I've done to deserve such a precious, gift but I am holding on to these moments tightly, with both fists, because her "lasts" are slipping away. As each year comes and goes, she's becoming who God intended her to be and I get the honor of witnessing it from the very beginning. I...am...blessed. Happy birthday, my beautiful girl. You are one of the best things that has ever happened to me!

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

8 comments

Write comments
Melody
AUTHOR
10:26 PM delete

I happen to love that book you were talking about. I bought a whole box of them to give as shower gifts because it's those lasts that you do forget to treasure. I haven't had the privilege to have my own child yet, but I have raised several children in my home. One of them just turned 13 and she's now decided to move in with her sister. Watching her grow from a baby to a teenager has been one my greatest joys and greatest fears. She's not my child by birth, but she is my child and always will be.

Sadly with each passing year it doesn't get easier, it only gets harder. Know you aren't alone in this, but also know you will always have the memories of those firsts and lasts to treasure for the rest of your life.

~*Melody*~

Reply
avatar
CPT Mom
AUTHOR
10:33 PM delete

No, you are not alone!

Reply
avatar
Wendy
AUTHOR
6:42 AM delete

I feel the same w/each birthday.

Looks like she had a great one! I like the cupcake holder.

Reply
avatar
Overwhelmed!
AUTHOR
12:29 PM delete

Nope, you're not the only mom that feels that way. So do I.

Snuggle Bug is nearing his 3rd birthday (next month) and I'm getting choked up just thinking about what a big boy he's gotten to be. He's growing up too quickly!

Happy Birthday to Devyn! I loved the pictures that you shared!

Reply
avatar
Paula
AUTHOR
2:01 PM delete

Mercy, I feel like with birthdays, holidays and pictures I take. The advice I give is ENJOY and EMBRACE every moment because it goes by really too fast.

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
7:38 PM delete

What a perfect tribute to your precious Devyn. The love you have for her is in every word of that post!!

Happy Birthday, Devyn!

Reply
avatar
Courtney
AUTHOR
9:05 AM delete

You looks so pretty is those pictures Jenn!!! You did an awesome job with the party.

Reply
avatar
Amy
AUTHOR
3:19 PM delete

Nope, not the only mama! This is one of greatest posts yet, Jenn. I love it!

And you really do look so pretty in those pictures. Love, Amy

Reply
avatar