Halloween Fun?

Thursday, November 01, 2007 12 Comments A+ a-

What do you get when you combine a butterfly, a short (non-existent) nap, and a mother who is bound to show off the kids at work? A recipe for disaster, that’s what. Honestly, it wasn’t as bad I just made it sound, but it was close. Devyn was the grouchiest little butterfly I’ve ever seen, barely saying please, thank-you, or trick-or-treat. In fact, this is all she would do.


Oh well… Hudson more than made up for her attitude with his cuteness as a caterpillar. It was hysterical watching him crawl in his costume; the little legs on the side of his costume would wiggle and move with him. We had many laughs over our little “caterpillar”.


Once we filled Devyn’s tummy and we had some down time at home, Devyn’s attitude turned around and made for a much better evening. The original plan was to go trick-or-treating, but that idea was nixed in favor of our church’s carnival, inside from the cold. Devyn had a great time, especially in the inflatable jumping machine and the ball “pit” created out of a swimming pool. As you can see Hudson thoroughly enjoyed the ball “pit” too.


Our evening ended with a trip to Papa’s house, some more candy, and a hard sugar crash. But we made it through another Halloween and can now start preparing for my favorite holiday season.


Speaking of which, I’m feeling a bit ambitious and have decided to make my children’s Christmas stockings. I couldn’t find anything I liked and then I found these in the craft aisle of our local Walmart. My mother made four similar stockings for us and I have such fond memories of seeing those filled up on Christmas morning. Surely, I can get two of them done between now and Christmas. Good luck to me!

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

12 comments

Write comments
Katy
AUTHOR
11:05 AM delete

oh what great pics! :) Halloween is always so stressful...the kids get tired and get sick of their costumes...LOL (at least for us) but it looks like you guys had a nice evening! I LOVE that caterpillar thing...i can just picture him crawling in that...toooo cute!

Good luck with your stockings!!! That is great! :)

Reply
avatar
Sarah
AUTHOR
11:45 AM delete

oh you crafty thing you! You've inspired me! I may just have to do the same, I'll keep you posted. I was going to buy the pottery barn ones, but making them sounds so much more fun and personal. Your little insects look just adorable! I'm glad you guys had a fun day. My Christmas music is in full swing now:)

Reply
avatar
Wendy
AUTHOR
11:52 AM delete

Great outfits!
You'll have to show your finished stockings.

Reply
avatar
janellebelle
AUTHOR
1:03 PM delete

Jenn,
I remember vividly that each time your mom found out she was pregnant was also time to get started on a new Christmas stocking - and they all were (still are) so beautiful! I love that you are continuing that tradition. We love to hear that our traditions have created fond childhood memories and that the new mothers are wanting to do the same for the grandbabies! Cute pictures - thanks for sharing! Love,Tina

Reply
avatar
Rachelle G.
AUTHOR
1:11 PM delete

Well, you are SO ambitious that I can see why it's difficult to find time to blog! And yet... your blog is wonderful. :-)

Just to let you in on a little secret... I usually find some quiet time on the weekend and compose my blog posts for the week. And I keep a Word file going of blog post ideas that I can grab from if I'm scrambling for a post! Some may call it cheating... I call it good planning!

Reply
avatar
Just Me
AUTHOR
1:33 PM delete

Cute little insects! ;)
Can't wait to see the stockings. I know they'll be adorable and make for some great memories!

Have a wonderful weekend.

Reply
avatar
Amy
AUTHOR
1:42 PM delete

Cutest little caterpillar and butterfly I've ever seen...even while grumpy:) Oh, this missed nap...grrr! Been there, don't like it!

Happy Christmas season to you! love, Amy

Reply
avatar
LPDraper
AUTHOR
3:28 PM delete

Cute, cute!!!!

Funny that you are planning to make your stockings.... I was just looking in a catalog this morning planning to BUY ours. That's just how sadly "crafty" I am. :(

Reply
avatar
8:33 PM delete

Oh my, you've gotta love Hudson in that little caterpillar outfit. Too cute!

Reply
avatar
Stephanie
AUTHOR
6:54 PM delete

How cute are they!!!
Miss you guys so much!

Reply
avatar
pedro
AUTHOR
4:38 PM delete

Jenn,

Do you remember when we went to Santa's workshop by Pike's Peak and jumped in the bouncy-castle? We must have been 3 or 4. I think my parents have pics or a movie of that somewhere.

Reply
avatar
8:37 PM delete

I finally had a moment to stop by, as it has been awhile, great work! Your munchkins are precious... they sure grow up too fast.

Reply
avatar