Great Appointment

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 20 Comments A+ a-

Is it weird that I am over-the-moon with excitement about our appointment this morning?! Our appointment went far better than I could have possibly imagined and I am so excited to see where God takes us on this journey with Devyn.

First and foremost, we met our therapist. Her name is Deb; she is a Christian and is really going to give Devyn just the push she needs. She also happens to know Jon's extended family and we have mutual friends in common. How awesome is that? That is most definitely a "God-thing".

Secondly... the good news is that Devyn is a very bright, very smart child. She comprehends quickly and understands cognitively. However, there is a speech delay and that is what we'll be focusing on in our speech therapy sessions. We'll be going every other week until Miss Deb (our therapist) feels that Devyn is where she should be.

I learned more about my daughter in our 2-hour evaluation than I thought was possible. Seriously. How is it that a perfect stranger (albeit a therapist, who is obviously trained to notice these things) can tell me things I didn't know about my own daughter?! When asked if Devyn was a strong-willed child, I shook my head no, I went on to describe how Devyn is sweet, sensitive, and shy. Within a half-hour, Miss Deb told me that no, in fact I have a VERY strong-willed child. (Go figure!) She pointed out that Devyn is able, capable, and can say the very words that we've been trying to get her to say, Devyn just chooses NOT to say them. And with that, Miss Deb also pointed out some behaviors that are manipulative in nature. Miss Deb said that her stubbornness and strong-will are very subtle, but very apparent, and will serve her well in the future.

And lastly, Mom and I learned how we may have helped contribute to some of Devyn's speech delay. As the oldest grandchild on both sides of the family, it's pretty safe to say that Devyn is a bit spoiled. And by not making her use words, letting her gesture and nod for what she wants, has hindered her more than helped. So, these sessions will not only be for Devyn, they're also going to be "re-training" us as well.

Our homework until the next appointment:

  • Increase the amount of choice-making; either by pointing or saying the choice. If she points, then just say the words for her – she doesn’t have to repeat, but if she does, great!
  • Try to avoid “asking” too many questions – just label for her when you are playing or reading a book.
  • When she does ask you “what’s this?” – just tell her.
  • Don’t respond to “huh?” – I would have her ask “what’s that?” or “look Mom”.
  • Go ahead and expect the words that you know she knows – if she battles, let her know you will wait for her to communicate.

All in all, it was a very successful appointment. I am eager to learn, I am excited to see how Devyn's vocabulary grows, and I'm elated that God brought Miss Deb into our family. I think it’s going to be a very beneficial relationship for all of us. Thanks for all the prayers and well-wishes; they have helped more than you know!

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

20 comments

Write comments
Amy
AUTHOR
3:21 PM delete

I was so excited to hear this, Jenn! Seriously, what a God thing...you're right! I bet it is really such a relief to have someone working with you that you trust. That picture of Devyn is so cute. Red is her color:) love, Amy

Reply
avatar
Amazing Racer
AUTHOR
3:31 PM delete

YAY!!! I'm totally sharing your joy for a great appointment. Can't wait to hear about all of Devyn's new words.

So exciting.

Reply
avatar
LPDraper
AUTHOR
4:42 PM delete

As my sister always says... God is good ALL the time!!!

And.... that picture of Devyn is fantastic!!

Reply
avatar
proud parents
AUTHOR
4:53 PM delete

I hadn't read your earlier post until now. I am so glad her first appointment went well. Thank you for sharing this. It will help those of us with first children (and grandchildren) to learn how to help our children communicate better. I am sure Devyn will do great!!!

Reply
avatar
Courtney
AUTHOR
7:19 PM delete

I am really relieved to hear all of this too. Hopefully we can help her do better!
P.S. LOVE the picture of her! Is this one from Bob?

Reply
avatar
Kati
AUTHOR
9:16 PM delete

Wow...what an encouraging first encounter with 'miss Deb'! Can't wait to hear more! Isn't God amazing...the people he puts in our lives!

Reply
avatar
Laura
AUTHOR
3:56 AM delete

I'm really happy for you all with this help for Devyn. It's just great to be feeling like you are moving with her in a good direction. Marvelous news to read about!

Reply
avatar
Paula
AUTHOR
5:47 AM delete

What wonderful news!! I am vey glad to here she is great and will get the extra push she needs. I know you are so relieved!

Reply
avatar
6:06 AM delete

Oh Jenn, I am SO glad it all went well. Your attitude has a lot to do with the positiveness of your post - that's for sure! I just kept reading and thinking, "Gosh, she has a great attitude!!"

Way to go and roll with the punches, Mama! You are doing an AMAZING job raising your princess for the KING of Kings!!!

Reply
avatar
Katy
AUTHOR
12:02 PM delete

That is so fantastic Jenn!!! I am so happy for you guys!!! :)

Reply
avatar
pedro
AUTHOR
1:03 PM delete

Great news! Last week, before Anna was born, I was talking with some friends at school, and we concluded that parenting is about mutual learning and growing. It's easy as the "big person" in the relationship to see nurture as something we impart to our children, but I'm convinced that God uses the relationship to mold us as well.

You guys are great parents and are doing a fantastic job. It's obvious that you and Jon both love your children to death. During the time I have spent with you, watching you interact with your kids, I have learned a lot about what it means to be a parent. Keep up the hard work, and keep your heart open (what you write on your blog shows how open it already is) to what God is teaching you about himself through your kids.

Reply
avatar
Carrie
AUTHOR
1:25 PM delete

I could completely relate to your earlier post. My Son only said 5 words when he turned 2. We had him evaluated and tested just like you did. It is amazing what the trained eye picks up! Sam's now a talkative boy and I'm sure you'll make great progress with your daughter as well. We got a lot of the same advice. Miss Deb sound wonderful! I look forward to hearing about Devyn's progress.

Reply
avatar
Stephanie
AUTHOR
2:06 PM delete

yay! I'm glad this went well for you guys!!

Reply
avatar
6:39 PM delete

What encouraging news for you all! I'll be praying that things really start to go well for you guys and Devyn.

Reply
avatar
Just Me
AUTHOR
7:04 PM delete

That's awesome! Praise God!

Reply
avatar
Elise
AUTHOR
9:23 PM delete

First of all, I am praising the Lord with you for this wonderful day! I am so thankful to hear that you are feeling peace with this, and excitement for the future. What a blessing that you have mutual friends in common with this lady, and that she's a Christian!!! :)

Second, I love the tips that you shared. Eliana, though she's not quite two, is definitely a little spoiled around here. I know what she's saying, even if it's gibberish, so I sometimes forget to have her say it correctly. These are great tips to remember! Thanks!

(((Jenn)))

Reply
avatar
dareth
AUTHOR
10:25 PM delete

So excited for you.
It is so important that you feel good about the people who are working with her. I am so glad that this first meeting left such a positive impression. It sounds like things will really take off from here.

Love you guys!

Reply
avatar
Christina
AUTHOR
8:06 PM delete

So happy that the appt went so well!!! That's awesome Jenn!!!

Reply
avatar
6:39 PM delete

I am so pleased you found a therapist that is such a perfect fit for your family.
I had a little problem with Ben's speech while he was 2. It turned out I was anticipating his needs too well! Him being the 3rd child meant that I knew what the signals were for. He didn't even have to say anything, food, drink, toy cuddles etc were always provided as soon as he needed them.
I found it so hard to step back and let him learn to ask for things.
We eventually got it right and now that he is 4 we do not have a quiet minute EVER LOL.

Reply
avatar
Liz
AUTHOR
3:20 PM delete

I am so excited for you that things went so well. What an answer to prayer. I will continue to pray as you all learn and grow from this.

God is so good!!

Reply
avatar