Wife of Noble Character

Monday, October 15, 2007 7 Comments A+ a-

If we read this detailed description of the ideal wife and mother as a point-by-point standard God expects us to live up to, we’re bound to feel overwhelmed and exhausted before we even begin! The intention of the epilogue to the book of Proverbs wasn’t to give women an impossible to-do list, but to spread out before them the many opportunities they have to use their gifts, talents, and wisdom in fulfilling and productive ways. Rather than limiting women’s roles, they are expanded endlessly. As women we are created to have a positive and profound impact on everyone around us – be it our husbands, children, parents, friends, clients, customers, or society in general. Being a woman is a blessing, and being a wise, strong, and dignified woman blesses others in ways that can’t be calculated.

~ Woman of Faith Study Bible, page 1070, Wife of Noble Character

Upon reading Sarah’s post from yesterday, it prompted me to reread Proverbs 31 during my quiet time this morning. And as I was reading, I did indeed start feeling overwhelmed by all that is required of a Proverbs 31 woman and I started counting the ways where I fail miserably. Not exactly a great way to start a Monday morning, rooted in guilt and dread. But then I noticed the above study note in my sidebar and I had a “ah-ha” moment. What an inspiring, thought-provoking statement.

I hate cooking! I know it, Jon knows it, and those close to me know it. I really don’t like it and I’m not sure I ever will learn to like it. It’s a necessity to me, something I do to nourish my family. And honestly, we’re not a nutritious family. For example, I enjoy Doritos for breakfast… seriously. Yes, I realize some habits need to change, but I’ll be making them because they’re necessary, not because I enjoy it. And I do have other gifts: I love to bake, I enjoy cleaning my kitchen, laundry is a relaxing chore for me, I am a good listener, and my family and friends know they are loved. These are my strong gifts; the gifts that I’ve been given to bless those around me.

So upon reading the above statement, a breath of relief rushed through my body. Its wonderful knowing that grace is readily given, even during a charge about striving to be a Proverbs 31 woman. We all have very different gifts, very different likes and dislikes, and the beauty is God designed us that way; we are all perfectly and wonderfully made. The advantage of family and friends is that we can glean and learn from each other, we can step in the gap of each other’s weaknesses. Sarah knows I hate to cook; we’ve had many laughs over it. But in her zeal and excitement for producing great meals for her family, she encourages me to reach for the same. I may not always succeed, after all a trip to the Mexican restaurant just down the street is far more appealing that cooking over a stove top, but I’m encouraged to try.

I know we all strive to be that Proverbs 31 woman but please, also cut yourself some slack. Write the above statement down and hold it close to your heart. “Being a woman is a blessing, and being a wise, strong, and dignified woman blesses others in ways that can’t be calculated.” God will bless you for your efforts and His grace will carry you the rest of the way.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

7 comments

Write comments
Sarah
AUTHOR
9:55 AM delete

Amen Jenn! That's why I love finding the character qualities in Proverbs 31 rather than sinking under the weight of the literal picture. Being industrious and nourishing our families looks different for each of us based on our gifts and strengths. Why don't you do my laundry and I'll cook your meals!:)
Love you!
Sarah

Reply
avatar
11:03 AM delete

Thanks for sharing your journey. It is encouraging to read your thoughts and prayers and see how other people are going through the same struggles I face every day. And what a blessing you have that a friend can lift you up and encourage with her strengths.

Reply
avatar
O Mama Mia
AUTHOR
7:02 PM delete

Amen! The Provers 31 woman is great in idealogy, but she was also under the Old Testamant law of her time. She HAD to do all that stuff. I think what we should take from that chapter is where her heart is when she had to do her duties.
We had an amazing guest speaker this past Sunday who pointed out that Paul did run the race wonderfully, but he was not telling us to run it to achieve anything, but to simply run the race that was worthy of running. What a light that went off when I heard that!
I usually just tell myself "I am only human. I will do what God gives me the strength to do, and that will be my best."
Wow. can I comment much? I think you just hit the nail on its head with this post. Guess I could have just said that, huh? ;)

Reply
avatar
Overwhelmed!
AUTHOR
12:29 AM delete

Oh, I am just like you. I really dislike cooking. I love to bake, but not cook. I strive to cook for my family but it's an effort. :)

Thanks for your sweet comment on my Snuggle Bug update post.

Yes, I did start posting when he was a "baby" and now he'll be turning 3 in December. Time does fly!

Reply
avatar
dr_bristow
AUTHOR
8:10 AM delete

Thank you for this post. It definitely blessed me today, particularly the last sentence.
Blessings!

Reply
avatar
Melody
AUTHOR
9:53 AM delete

*smiles* I really need to hear that this morning. What a great post. This really encouraged me. I've been contemplating purchasing that particular bible for a long time, I think you may have just completely sold me on it.

Reply
avatar
crystal
AUTHOR
12:48 PM delete

Thank You! As always, you are encouraging. I also hate to cook. But I am learning to at least like it and if something turns out right, then I love it! LOL.. This post came at the right time for me as I have been overwhelmed here lately. Thank You so much.

Blessings
Crystal

Reply
avatar