Friends, Near and Far

Saturday, October 20, 2007 10 Comments A+ a-

What is she going to be like? Will she like me? Will I recognize her? What if we don't get along? What if our kids or husbands don't get along? These thoughts raced through my head as I waited inside Super Target for Amy and her family. I had the kids and my sister Courtney with me; Jon was on his annual fishing trip with his brother, dad, and grandpa. I confided to Courtney that this felt similarly to a blind date, I was that anxious. I eagerly watched my phone as I waited for that call from Amy, saying that they had arrived.

Flash back to over a year ago, Amy and I met on an online community and soon shared our blog addresses with each other. We were both newly pregnant with our youngest babes and we're just venturing out in this new world of blogging. First we exchanged comments on each other's posts, then we started emailing each other, before you knew it we were having semi-regular phone calls. I don't know, I can't explain it, something just clicked instantly between us. Amy broached the idea first of meeting face-to-face, but it was something that I had been thinking of already. We both started thinking of ways to make it possible and before you know it, she and her family had booked airline tickets to Colorado. And finally the time had arrived, months after we first started planning.

And wow, what a visit it was! I worried needlessly, as there was no discomfort or awkwardness. Instead, it was a weekend and a half of fun, laughter, conversation, and awe that we had come this far. Amy is beautiful, inside and out. She is warm, loving, fun, and genuine; the love she has for her husband and sons is palpable. I enjoyed watching her interactions with Joel, they are obviously a couple with a ton of love and respect for each other. And it was amazing how we slipped easily into the role of old friends; talking and laughing about common interests, parenting styles, and feelings. Devyn and Parker, while both cautious at first (it was amazing to see how similar their personalities are), soon were inseparable. In fact, I'm almost certain Devyn developed a bit of a crush on him. Hudson and Griffin seemed bent on beating each other up as they explored the boundaries of being contemporaries. And while crying ensued, they usually calmed down after hugs from mom.

Yesterday, we were able to spend more time together, along with Sarah and her family. It was a day filled with chaos and fun as we corralled six children together. But it was the perfect way to end our visit. This visit was more than I imagined and left me feeling melancholy when they left, much like how Devyn felt saying good-bye to Parker. It was a special time, one that I'll treasure always. Its not often that I get to meet a virtual friend, and as I told Amy, I'm looking forward to where God leads this friendship. Thank you, Amy and Joel, for taking the time to come out here, we had a wonderful time.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

10 comments

Write comments
dareth
AUTHOR
10:42 PM delete

Yeah for good times with good friends!!

PS. Are you all wearing jackets?!?
We are still wearing shorts around here :)

Reply
avatar
3:00 PM delete

So fun, that you actually got to meet Amy face to face! Sounds like you guys had a great time.

Reply
avatar
O Mama Mia
AUTHOR
6:32 PM delete

Awww... that's so awesome how blogland can make such great friends!
It is like a blind date! I remember the first time I talked on the phone with a blogger & after we hung up I told Griff I felt like I was a dork & she'd never call again. ;) We're still great friends.

Reply
avatar
Kati
AUTHOR
10:38 PM delete

How fun! Yeah for good times with friends!

I agree...Amy is a beautiful woman inside and out! What lovely words you had to say about her and her family!

Reply
avatar
Jennisa
AUTHOR
11:14 PM delete

That is so fun to see you both together! How neat to meet up with a bloggie buddy! What a wonderful idea!!!! You both look beautiful , as always!!!!

Reply
avatar
Jennisa
AUTHOR
11:14 PM delete

That is so fun to see you both together! How neat to meet up with a bloggie buddy! What a wonderful idea!!!! You both look beautiful , as always!!!!

Reply
avatar
Amy
AUTHOR
1:48 PM delete

Oh, Jenn...I'm such a sap, but I got teary eyed reading this post! You are such a great writer, but an even better friend. Our time really was so special. love, Amy

I love the Tim/Faith song!

Reply
avatar
Liz
AUTHOR
4:50 PM delete

That's so great that you guys got to meet in person...How fun! Who would have guessed that you could make such wonderful friends in bloggy land?!

Looks like you all had a blast. Thanks for sharing!

Reply
avatar
HappyMama
AUTHOR
12:35 PM delete

Glad you all had fun!!

Reply
avatar
AndiMae
AUTHOR
3:17 PM delete

I'm so glad that you guys had such an awesome visit! I was praying for you all weekend- that God would really bless your time together :)

And I love your post on the 5 senses of motherhood- so beautiful. Of course it makes me a little teary-eyed though b/c time is going by so fast!

P.S. And I agree with you- I think that Elliot looks a lot more like me than Audrey did, especially when you compare our baby pictures. Yet it is funny b/c him and Audrey look so much alike too!

Reply
avatar