Dearest Daughter

Thursday, October 11, 2007 9 Comments A+ a-

Oh my beautiful, little girl. Time has just flown this past summer; I’ve turned around and in the blink of an eye, you’ve morphed from a toddler into a preschooler. I have such mixed emotions when I see how much you’ve changed. But one emotion has remained constant and that is my love for you; it is an awe-inspiring, heart-melting, overpowering love that consumes my soul. You, my love, are infinitely precious to me.

Your legs have grown longer, if that is even possible, and they have given you the ability to run from one moment to the next. In the stores, you constantly ask to be put on the floor. “Run, Mommy, run?” And I have no choice but to give in to your desire to run. Hudson and I follow closely behind, watching you stretch your legs from the confines of the cart. I chuckle as you look over your shoulder to make sure we’re watching, often almost crashing head-first into another shopper. Instead of being annoyed, your smile and your giggle causes strangers to return your smile with their own, and they often tell me what a beautiful girl I have. I couldn’t agree more.

You, my love, are a serious and cautious child. New things are met with concerned eyes and a cautious smile. You often look to me for guidance before reacting to the experience, wondering if this is safe or if you should be nervous. But once you’ve given your approval, you embrace it whole-heartedly and without fear. You love in much the same way; it’s first approached with caution but then you hold nothing back. I love that when I walk into the room, you run to me with open arms, shouting “Mommy” from top of your lungs. I love that you snuggle into my arms, refusing to let go. I love when you frame my face in your small hands, telling me about your day or whispering words of nonsense.

My heart is full, little one, because you have come into my life. I have no idea what I’ve done to deserve such a precious gift as you. I know that God has blessed me beyond my wildest dreams and I am truly blessed to call you my daughter. I love you, Munchkin, and my words are incapable of expressing how much you mean to me. Thank you, Miss Devyn Paige, for your love and your forgiveness as I walk this road of motherhood. It is a tricky road, often hard, but so worth it to be called your mother. May the Lord bless you and your life, little one.

With love,
Mommy

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

9 comments

Write comments
Sarah
AUTHOR
1:46 PM delete

Sweet letter Jenn! How do you create labels?
Sarah

Reply
avatar
Kelsey
AUTHOR
2:29 PM delete

Oh Jenn, that letter to your daughter is simply beautiful. I got chills reading it as I felt the love and joy you have for Devyn expressed in every word. You are truly a gifted writer and more importantly an incredible mother.

Kelsey (Amy's sister)

Reply
avatar
dareth
AUTHOR
3:39 PM delete

That is beautiful!

Reply
avatar
6:22 PM delete

What a lucky girl Devyn is , to have a Mommy like you :)

Reply
avatar
Elise
AUTHOR
9:01 PM delete

*Sniff*

I love when you describe the way she is cautious, how she looks to you for how to react. That is a blessing - I pray that Devyn is always looking to you for these things, until she is old enough to react to them in her own way, with the example of her mama always in her mind.

You are so blessed.

Reply
avatar
Amy
AUTHOR
11:09 PM delete

Oh, man! Jenn, this is so beautiful. She seems like such a sweet spirit. I can't wait to know her:)

Reply
avatar
Dana Marie
AUTHOR
9:52 AM delete

she is pretty fantastic--you are certianly blessed! I'm so glad we had a chance to meet even for a few short minutes last weekend! your kids are great!

Reply
avatar
Christina
AUTHOR
6:14 PM delete

Beautiful! :-)

Reply
avatar
Paula
AUTHOR
7:13 PM delete

So sweet. I love to read about the love you have for your children. So sweet and pure!

Reply
avatar