5 Senses of Motherhood

Monday, October 22, 2007 15 Comments A+ a-


  1. Hearing – Jon and I were lying on the couch last night, devoid of any energy after a L-O-N-G day of dealing with tantrums, meltdowns, and the like. We were exhausted, too tired to rise up and check on the kids. And then we heard a giggle; followed by a second, longer giggle; followed by tickling noises from Devyn. Jon and I turned to each other, smiling widely, as we continued to listen to Devyn tickling her brother. A sweet feeling filled my soul as Hudson’s belly laugh grew louder and longer. With each giggle, my heart grew lighter; such a beautiful sound is my children playing together so innocently and sweetly!


  2. Taste – Devyn sat silently on the couch, devouring the chocolate-chip cookie that I had given her moments earlier. I was in the kitchen finishing up the load of dishes when I felt her arms wrap around my legs, squeezing as hard as she could. I leaned down; she grabbed my cheeks in her hands and puckered her lips. I touched her lips with mine in a kiss and could taste the leftover chocolate from her cookie, milk chocolate with bits of leftover cookie crumbs. There is nothing sweeter than a chocolate-covered kiss from my baby, oh so yummy.


  3. Smell –Their laughter rang off the walls of the tiled bath tub, each vying for my attention, both wanting the same toy. Hudson shrieked in delight as Devyn squirted him with water and Devyn smiled as he grabbed her hair in his chubby fists. I washed them down with soap and shampooed their hair. I first toweled off Hudson and then turned to his sister. I laid them side-by-side as I put lotion on their skin and dressed them in pajamas. As I sat behind them, comb in hand, getting ready to brush their hair, the smell of freshly washed and lotioned bodies drifted up to my nose. I breathed in deeply, willing the scent to memory, the scent of my babies, fresh from the tub.


  4. Touch – It was the middle of the night, dark except for the dim light coming from Hudson’s night light. I picked him, placing him against my chest, willing his sobs to subside. We moved to the rocker, I laid him across my lap, and covered us in a blanket. I could feel him rooting, looking for the source that offered both sustenance and relief at the same time. As he latched on, I could feel his body relax, calming with each suck. And then, as it always does, his hand reached up, looking for the place just below the hollow in my neck, and started caressing the skin there. I smiled as his hand moved back and forth, pleased that the touch of my skin could bring him so much comfort.


  5. Sight – It was time for bed; Jon turned off the TV and we made our way down the hall to our bedroom. I first walked into Devyn’s room and stood by her bed. Her mouth worked noiselessly around her pacifier, her cheeks were rosy with sleep, and the tendrils around her face plastered to her head. Her chest moved smoothly, first up, then down. And I thanked God for the beautiful blessing that is my daughter. I then tiptoed into Hudson’s room to check on him. He was lying on his tummy; one hand clenched tightly around his blanket, the other lifted up, over his head. His lips moved, murmuring something in his sleep. I watched his back rise up, and then fall; his body in a relaxed state of rest. There is no better sight than that of my children sleeping soundly in their beds.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

15 comments

Write comments
Just Me
AUTHOR
3:01 PM delete

Beutiful. I wish I could write like you. ;)

Reply
avatar
LPDraper
AUTHOR
3:55 PM delete

I LOVE this post. Beautifully said.

Reply
avatar
Liz
AUTHOR
4:56 PM delete

Wow Jen, so beautiful! You have eloquently put into words the blessings and joy that accompany motherhood!

Reply
avatar
6:45 PM delete

Beautiful, Jenn, as usual. Thanks for sharing your simple, yet beautiful joys.

Reply
avatar
Kati
AUTHOR
10:43 PM delete

Such a wonderful and refreshing post! Oh the little moments of motherhood that stick with us!!!

Reply
avatar
7:46 AM delete

Beautifully written.


Jillian

Reply
avatar
Paula
AUTHOR
9:59 AM delete

I love reading your stories. So beautifully put a love between a momma and child!!

Reply
avatar
Katy
AUTHOR
10:45 AM delete

I loved this post and can totally relate to each of those! I pray we never forget each of those wonderful things as mothers! :)

Reply
avatar
Sarah
AUTHOR
3:10 PM delete

What a clever way to describe motherhood, with the five senses! You write so beautifully Jenn, but more beautifully than you write is how you love your babies. Blessed to call you friend friend!
Always, Sarah

Reply
avatar
4:34 PM delete

Wow! That was beautiful and moving. Can I just say, "Amen!" I know exactly how you feel! Thank you for this beautiful post!

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
5:36 PM delete

What a perfect post. Truly, one of your best. I will think about this as I, too, nurse my little one in the middle of the night.

Reply
avatar
Nancy
AUTHOR
7:55 AM delete

Very sweet...such an encouragement to appreciate the little things. Thanks for that.

Reply
avatar
Amy
AUTHOR
11:44 AM delete

So wonderful! I really enjoyed reading this now that I can picture you in your home with your family:) love, Amy

By the way, it was Parker that was sick...and it quickly moved to me and then Griff!

Reply
avatar
HappyMama
AUTHOR
12:34 PM delete

So precious! Motherhood is such a gift and blessing, isn't it!?!

Reply
avatar