The Time Has Come

Thursday, September 27, 2007 16 Comments A+ a-

Some of you may remember this post or this post, where I poured my heart out about returning to work after maternity leave.

Getting in the car, dropping the kids off at my parents’ house, and driving the ten minutes to work every day is one of the hardest things I do. In all honesty, I realize how lucky I am that my children are in the care of their grandmother or aunt, both of whom love them nearly as much as I do. And I’m eternally thankful to Mom and Alli for their dedication and devotion to Devyn and Hudson. I really don’t know what I’d do without them, for that has saved me from greater heartache if daycare were our only option. However, despite their care and their help, it is hard to be apart from Devyn and Hudson every day; I’d much rather be at home, loving and discipling them for those eight additional hours.

Luckily, the time has come to approach my boss about working part-time. Jon and I have worked hard towards our two goals; owning a house and allowing me to start working part-time. This has been a long time coming and I’m anxious to start this new schedule. I am planning to talk to my supervisor some time within the next two weeks about my desire to be home; my confidence to complete my duties in a shorter amount of time; and a suggested, preferred work schedule. I am praying for several things right now; the right words, the right time, wisdom to counter any concerns she may have, and that through it all I will hear God’s voice. If this proposal does not work out, if my supervisor does not allow me to work part-time, then I have to be ready to start a job search for something that will work for my family and me.

But oh, the joy and peace I feel whenever I think about this new schedule more than makes up for my fear. My babies are only this little once, I shudder to think of how much I’ve already missed, but I am smiling at the idea of being with them more. I am almost giddy now that the time has finally come.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

16 comments

Write comments
Org Junkie
AUTHOR
12:03 PM delete

Hi Jenn, I did this exact same thing after my second one was born. After much research I submitted a proposal that was too hard for my boss to refuse. Basically I was saying I was going to do the same job in less time for less money (30 hours instead of 40). What was not to like about that right? Make sure you cover every aspect of your job and how you will this work and how it will benefit the company. Let me know if I can be of any help.

Good luck!

Laura

Reply
avatar
Stacey
AUTHOR
2:22 PM delete

Yes, yes, YES!! I am so excited for you and these new possibilities! Be open-minded when you meet with your boss. She may have a potential counter-proposal that may end up working just as well or better for your family! Sometimes when we have a goal, it can be hard to see beyond that to God's goal (and by this I simply mean what your schedule looks like not whether or not you go part-time, for I believe this is part of God's plan for you as well since you and Jon have discerned this so well.)

Good luck. Let me know when you are planning on having the talk and I will blanket you in prayer!!

;)

Reply
avatar
Paula
AUTHOR
5:30 PM delete

Jenn, I will be praying for God's favor here. He hears our cries of the heart and will provide.

Reply
avatar
Just Me
AUTHOR
6:55 PM delete

Praying for you Jenn.

Reply
avatar
LPDraper
AUTHOR
9:23 PM delete

I'm praying for you! (and your boss!)
God knows your heart and knows exactly what you need--- and I am SO thankful He never gives us more than we can handle. Praise Him for that!

Keep us posted!!

Reply
avatar
dareth
AUTHOR
11:12 PM delete

Oh Jenn, I am so excited for you in this time. Change is always difficult and scary, but I know that God has a big plan. I will be praying for wisdom for you and your boss and more than anything, I will be praying that His will be done. His plan is often so much more than we even thought to ask for!

Love you, love your family.
Keep me posted.

Reply
avatar
Courtney
AUTHOR
10:29 AM delete

Oh Jenn.... Good luck! I will be praying for you!

Reply
avatar
Katy
AUTHOR
11:21 AM delete

How exciting! I hope it all works out perfectly for you! There is nothing more rewarding than being a SAHM or working part time...in order to be with them more! :) I pray everything turns out perfectly!!! <3

Reply
avatar
11:42 AM delete

Oh, I'm glad this time has come for you! I'm praying that everything goes smoothly for you!

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
9:06 PM delete

I will be praying for you too Jenn. I LOVE the new pictures on here. You have the most beautiful children. I really love the pics from Kim's wedding too.
Thanks for also checking up on me so much lately. I love you.

Reply
avatar
Kati
AUTHOR
10:47 PM delete

Oh how exciting!!! You are in my prayers!!!

Reply
avatar
Lisa
AUTHOR
1:48 PM delete

Hi. I stumbled onto your blog and appreciate this post. I am facing a similar situation in May when my maternity leave is up. I dread putting my daughter in daycare. I meet with my boss on Tuesday to see if he will agree to part-time work and then my husband and I meet with our financial advisor to see if we can afford for me to work part-time!
I pray that everything works out for you and that you are able to stay home with your children.
ps. - your kids are really cute!

Reply
avatar
Elise
AUTHOR
4:04 PM delete

Look forward - walk in the light, Jenn! I am so thankful that you are at this place - I will be praying for you in the process for sure!

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
7:46 PM delete

How wonderful! Praying that this timing is God's and every door will open for you and your wonderful family!

Reply
avatar
Liz
AUTHOR
10:45 PM delete

Oh wow! I remember reading when you went back to work and how hard it was for you. My prayers are with you. God knows the desires of your heart. I am so excited for you, and the possibilities that may happen soon!

Reply
avatar