Sunday Afternoon

Sunday, September 30, 2007 8 Comments A+ a-

It's the stuff Sunday afternoons in fall are made of; family, fellowship, food, and football. There was a slight bite to the afternoon air, causing me to grab a hoodie sweatshirt to protect myself from the chill. The sound of the saw drifted into my kitchen from the open window; I heard the camaraderie among Jon, his dad, and Drew as they worked an assembly line to finish our fence. Alli and I were inside doing some odd chores around the house while we waited for the rest of the family to show up. The conversation was easy, flowing from her relationship with Drew to the menu for the day to the latest movie release. Soon Mom arrived, followed shortly by Dad, Jeremy, GG (great-grandma Nancy), Christine and Caleb, and finally Courtney.

My heart and house were full, I kept taking mental pictures of the afternoon. Three guys continued manual labor with the fence, even through the football game; the other three guys booed and cheered from our couches. The women congregated in the kitchen; putting last minute touches on the meal, catching up on the details of each other's lives, and relishing time together. Devyn and Hudson mingled from group to group, each taking something from the adults in their lives. My children will never want for love or attention, they are blessed by the aunts, uncles (to-be), grandmas, and grandpas in their lives. The afternoon was a success; tummies were filled, fellowship was enjoyed, our Colorado Rockies won, and our fence is pretty much done. The afternoon was marred only by the loss of the Denver Broncos. I may not be as deep a fan as Amanda is for her Dallas Cowboys, but I say with sincere belief that our Broncos will rise and overcome this two-game losing streak.

But despite the loss, it was one of those Sunday afternoons where the memories will be tucked away, to be taken out for a dreary day. I am blessed beyond words...

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

8 comments

Write comments
Jennisa
AUTHOR
10:12 PM delete

The fence looks GREAT! And, maybe it's just me, but it sure seems like Devyn's hair is getting long! I didn't know it was that long! Super cute!

Oh, and Hudson is a doll too...of course! :)

Reply
avatar
dareth
AUTHOR
10:23 PM delete

Wow! Could they have grown that much since I left? They look so big.

Congratulations on the fence. I know you guys have been looking forward to getting it done.

What a great day, Jenn!

And a chill in the air?? I am so jealous :)

Reply
avatar
Amy
AUTHOR
10:39 PM delete

What a great, great day! These are the days that your children will look back on and remember!

I can't wait until people come over and watch football at our house! Right now we have a t.v. about the size of a shoe box. Just kidding, but close. It is on our Christmas list;)

Reply
avatar
Just Me
AUTHOR
8:47 AM delete

How awesome! I'm glad you had such a memory-making time! Your children are beautiful and I love love love family get-togethers!

Reply
avatar
Sarah
AUTHOR
9:37 AM delete

Life is beautiful isn't it! Simply beautiful. Fortune, fame, bla, bla, bla... They don't hold a candle to the real stuff of life, the good stuff, the forever stuff. If we are rich in relationship, we are rich indeed!
Love, Sarah

Reply
avatar
Liz
AUTHOR
10:38 PM delete

Sounds so wonderful! Being surrounded by family is such a blessing! We spent our Sunday afternoon with my husband's family...we had so much fun making lasting memories.

I love the pictures! Your little ones are so precious.

Reply
avatar
Katy
AUTHOR
7:20 AM delete

Sounds like a wonderful Sunday! Glad you all had a great day!!! :)

Reply
avatar
12:29 PM delete

Wow, Hudson looks so big!! I have been out of the blogworld a bit lately. Just haven't had the desire to post or read alot?? I guess life has been busy around here.

To answer your question. . . We will probably have one more. We always said 3 or 4. And, now that we have 3, I am just not ready to say goodbye to all things baby!!! I just love the baby stage!! But, we will wait a nice little while. . . So, I guess we could change our minds and be done?? Time will tell. For now, my hands are full, and I love it!!

And, never worry about being nosey with me. My life is pretty much an open book!!

Reply
avatar