I Do (Cherish You)

Thursday, September 20, 2007 18 Comments A+ a-

cherish \cher-ish\ - to hold dear; feel or show affection for; to keep or cultivate with care and affection; to entertain or harbor in the mind deeply and resolutely

I mentioned in this post that there were three songs that have really impacted my life thus far. The first is “When You Come Back Down” by Nickel Creek. The second is “I Do (Cherish You)” and is sung by Mark Wills. (98 Degrees also recorded this song during the height of the boy-band era, but Jon and I are in firm agreement that they butchered this song.)

In the very beginning of our relationship, when flowers and the honeymoon stage reigned, Jon dedicated this song to me over the radio. Like any young girl (18 years old at the time), I melted right into the floor and couldn’t stop smiling for a week. In that moment, it became “our” song; the song that we first danced to as husband and wife. Ten years after the radio dedication, if either of us hears the song on the radio, we quickly call the other to let them know which station it is on. And if we’re in the same place when it comes on, Jon will pull me into a slow dance.


I Do (Cherish You)

All I am, all I’ll be
Everything in this world, all that I’ll ever need
Is in your eyes, shining at me
When you smile, I can feel all my passion unfolding

Your hand brushes mine
And a thousand sensations seduce me ‘cause I

I do, cherish you
For the rest of my life
You don’t have to think twice
I will, love you still, from the depths of my soul
It’s beyond my control
I’ve waited so long to say this to you
If you’re asking, do I love you this much
I do

In my world before you
I lived outside my emotions
Didn’t know where I was going
Until the day I found you

How you opened my life
to a new paradise

I do, cherish you
For the rest of my life
You don’t have to think twice
I will, love you still, from the depths of my soul
It’s beyond my control
I’ve waited so long to say this to you
If you’re asking, do I love you this much
Yes, I do


There is something to be said about being with someone for so long, at such a young age. We are so in tune with each other, that we can often read each other’s minds. It’s no longer a surprise when Jon brings up a subject that I was currently thinking about, or when I finish a sentence that he started. I love that we can exchange a look with each other and know instantly what the other is thinking. I know him almost better than he knows himself, and vice versa. It’s an intimacy that cannot be duplicated, nor replicated; it is truly the melding of two souls into one.

When we were on vacation last week, we were forced to deal with some difficult life issues; losing our dogs was just the cherry on top. It was an incredible bonding time for us as we grieved together; he was strong when I was not and I was able to do the same for him. But the biggest thing I took away from that week is just how well Jon knows me, how he can anticipate my needs even before I do. We’d been inside for a couple of days due to cloudy skies and drizzle, but when his mom invited me to go on a shopping excursion with her and her sister, I was hesitant to go. Yet Jon was insistent that Devyn and I go, “just to get out of the house,” he said. And sure enough, the moment we were driving down the highway, as the clouds gave way to sun, I realized how badly I needed this time away from the house. I felt like I was finally able to breathe; I smiled as I’d felt more alive for the first time in days, and all because Jon recognized my need to “…get out…”

I love the third definition of the word ‘cherish’... to keep or cultivate with care and affection. What a truly fitting word to describe how my husband treats me; there was nothing more fitting to inscribe on our wedding bands than the words “I Do”.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

18 comments

Write comments
Amy
AUTHOR
2:13 PM delete

This makes me smile. What a gift to one another! You really do sound like one another's haven and true partner.

And I agree...the first version is so much better:) love, Amy

Reply
avatar
HappyMama
AUTHOR
2:24 PM delete

What a beautiful post! Isn't it just amazing how young love like you and Jon and Kevin and I have blossoms into something so much more!?! It's really a true blessing.

And, I agree with you and Amy, this version is much better.

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
AUTHOR
2:32 PM delete

Once again, a post beautifully written and expressed!

Your lives will be totally blessed for the love that you two have for one another.

C

Reply
avatar
Liz
AUTHOR
4:39 PM delete

Jen, this is so sweet! It's so wonderful how God brings a couple together who are so perfect for each other. And I love that you have used the years that God has given you together to grow and to truly cherish one another....what a blessing!

Reply
avatar
crystal
AUTHOR
5:13 PM delete

How sweet..I think it is amazing that you and your husband are so in tune to one another. That is what you call true and everlasting love. God Bless You and Yours and Prayers for many years to come...

Blessings
Crystal

Reply
avatar
Sarah
AUTHOR
6:09 PM delete

I love this description of your marriage Jenn! I feel equally blessed with my junior high sweet heart that I now call mate. There's something to be said about growing up together. I think you grow even more "together" that way. I really don't know where I stop and Travis begins and I know you feel the same about Jon. Isn't it amazing how these "boys" grew up to be such wonderful men! As they say, behind every great man is a great woman, hee, hee!
Love, Sarah

Reply
avatar
Katy
AUTHOR
6:37 PM delete

That is so beautiful! :)

Reply
avatar
Jenn
AUTHOR
9:35 PM delete

What a great post. You and Jon are so lucky to have each other. You know that you have a good marriage when bad things bring you closer together not further apart.

Jenn

Reply
avatar
Tiff
AUTHOR
6:04 PM delete

WOW! I so enjoyed reading that. My husband and I finish each others sentences and know what we are thinking. I have never known anyone quite as well as I know him. Inside and out. And I love him more and more each day!

Reply
avatar
Allie
AUTHOR
11:06 AM delete

What a beautiful post and so inspiring to see such a good and happy marriage. Sadly too often of late, you hear about the failed ones rather than the happy, solid ones.

Reply
avatar
7:07 PM delete

Love that, Jenn. I've also had the privilege of "growing up" with my man. Each new challenge you face together makes you stronger.

Reply
avatar
7:11 PM delete

PS-I'm SO SORRY about your dogs. I never realized how much of my heart mine had until we had to let him go.

Reply
avatar
Paula
AUTHOR
7:53 PM delete

How beautifully put. I have been with Chris since I was 15, so I can completely understand. Two people that have truly become ONE! How God intended it.

I am glad you had a nice weekend with Jon. That is important.

Reply
avatar
Elise
AUTHOR
8:21 PM delete

Oh, I LOVE it! You are so blessed - and blessed by knowing you are blessed, too! ;)

Reply
avatar
Christina
AUTHOR
11:47 AM delete

What a sweet song and that song is beautiful!

PS: Thanks for praying for me, I felt it. :-)

Reply
avatar
Stacey
AUTHOR
4:39 PM delete

Okay - where are you? I miss you.

Reply
avatar
Meghan
AUTHOR
4:51 PM delete

I definitely agree that 98 degrees butchered this song, Mark Wills' version is much better!

Reply
avatar