Our Basement Home

Tuesday, August 07, 2007 9 Comments A+ a-

As anxious as I am to get into our own place again, I can’t help but feel some nostalgia about leaving my parents’ basement. Trust me, it’s not about leaving my parents, it’s leaving behind a space that we called home for 14 months.

When we first moved in, we wanted to be out by February, before our second child came into the world. That was the plan anyway. But it appears that God had a different idea and instead we stayed an additional six months, while waiting for our first house to be built. Bringing Hudson home to our basement makes this place that much more special to me. It’s where he and I learned more about each other; where our feedings took place; where he gave his first giggle; and where I tucked him in at night.

Devyn has come into her own in this house, going from our bed to her own, from toddler to independence. She has embraced butterflies and princesses; she’s played mommy to her dolls and brother; its where she could be heard singing from downstairs or spinning circles in the kitchen; she said her first prayers in that little twin bed; and asked for her bible more times than I can count. Oh the memories of her I have in this house will sit near and dear to my heart.

It mattered not that the basement was unfinished, with raw, concrete walls, and a cold basement floor. It mattered not that we could hear every footstep on wooden floors above. It mattered not that we hung sheets to make walls, or laid down area rugs for carpet. Somehow, someway, we turned that basement into a home and it was ours. On Friday, when the cleaners had left, I trooped down to the basement. It was still damp and with the fans whirring in the background, I did a slow turn, letting the memories wash over me. It made me a bit teary to realize we wouldn’t be spending any more nights in our cozy place.

Tomorrow we sign our life away and we’ll be handed keys to our first house. Yes, I am excited, but living here has taught me so much about what it really takes to build a home.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

9 comments

Write comments
Sarah
AUTHOR
7:22 AM delete

Isn't it so true! My fondest memories are in our basement apartment, tiny, cinderblock walls, RV kitchen and all! So excited for you though with the new house! Can't wait to come see it!
Love, Sarah

Reply
avatar
Amy
AUTHOR
8:11 AM delete

Yes! I can totally relate to your feelings. We lived in odd places before our house and I feel such nostalgia associated with them for similar reasons. I remember taking that final walk through...

Only one more day...congrats and hugs to you, girl! love, Amy

Reply
avatar
Liz
AUTHOR
4:41 PM delete

"Before you walk into your home with your new baby, stop and mentally photograph this house so that you can keep it in your heart forever. In this mobile society of ours, there's a good chance that your child will not live in this place till she goes to college. You may move two or three more times during her childhood, especially if you find you like this mothering business and have more kids. But this will always be Bethlehem to you, the place where your family was born. You may not know it yet, but your most precious memories are about to be created here, and in years to come you will have forgotten if it had bad plumbing or funny shag carpeting. It's where you brought your first child [or second]. Welcome home!"
-From "Girlfriends' Guide to the First Year of Motherhood" by Vicki Iovine

I understand the nostalogia. You have so many memories in that place. You are leaving Hudson's "Bethlehem". I would feel the same way.

Congratulations on the new home! I pray everything goes smoothly for you.
God bless!
Elizabeth

Reply
avatar
6:23 PM delete

Ooooh, I remember that feeling well.
The fright of a mortgage but the thrill of your own home. The sadness of leaving your old home, but the excitment of a new chapter in your families life.
I can't wait to see the photos!
hope it all goes soomthly!

Reply
avatar
6:33 PM delete

Oh, wow! I can feel the sadness of leaving your "home", and the excitement of moving to your new one! I think that it is wonderful that you have learned what it means to make a home...that will serve you well as you move into this new adventure!
Blessings,
Joy

Reply
avatar
Mike
AUTHOR
6:18 AM delete

Great memories from your parents' basement. Greater memories in your first house, I am sure.

Congratulations.


Mike
http://somethingaboutparenting.typepad.com/

Reply
avatar
Deidre
AUTHOR
8:09 AM delete

Congratulations on your new home!

Reply
avatar
Christina
AUTHOR
8:31 PM delete

What a sweet sweet post. You made me all teary eyed! :-)

Reply
avatar
AndiMae
AUTHOR
12:09 AM delete

Jenn, I can totally relate! I think I feel that way about each and every place that I live, but I think especially in the homes that my kids have been babies in. And so much of what you wrote is what I am feeling now as we are getting ready to move in a couple of weeks! I can't wait to hear all about your new home and to see pictures!

P.S. I am so sorry about the big flood incident! How awful!

P.P.S. And I seriously can't get over how much your two munchkins look alike!

Reply
avatar