The Joy of Blue

Thursday, August 02, 2007 11 Comments A+ a-

When Hudson was first born, I was asked about the differences between having a son and a daughter. At that time, I really didn’t have much to report. After all, in my humble opinion, a newborn is a newborn, right? All they do at that time is eat, poop, and sleep. Don’t get me wrong; I love the newborn stage but there really is very little interaction.

Fast-forward five and a half months and I’m starting to get a taste of the differences between boys and girls. When Devyn was this age, she was content to sit in one spot on the floor and play with her toys. Playing would consist of turning the toys over in her hands, gently placing blocks side-by-side, or softly feeling the textures of the different items.

Hudson, on the other hands, is a walk on the wild side. First of all, he absolutely hates being in one place. He is literally rolling from one end of the room to the other; or he is on his hands and knees rocking back and forth, desperately wanting to crawl. The kid has more energy than I know what to do with and he’s not even mobile yet! And secondly, I am watching open-mouthed, as my son plays with toys. He literally picks things up and bangs them up and down on the floor, highchair tray, or any other surface that he has access to. There is no gentleness, there is no calm; it is a frenzied, jerking, “how hard can I throw this toy?” motion. I laugh because I know of no other way to react.


There are other subtle differences too. He is strong; he has a grip like no one’s business. He can literally bring me, or his nana or aunties or Devyn, to tears when he gets a hold of our hair. He is such a hearty nurser too. There are no soft sighs or gentle sucks; when this boy eats, he means business. When he gets excited, there needs to be a foot-wide radius around him because his legs and arms flail about, kicking or hitting anyone in the way.

Beyond all the physical differences between Devyn and Hudson, this little man holds my heart unlike anyone else in this world. It’s so hard to explain, and I’ve tried many times to put it into words, but I come up empty each time. There is something so incredibly special about a mother-son connection. I walk into a room and the moment he hears my voice, his head whips around and his eyes search for mine. If I don’t pick him up right away, he expresses his displeasure with crying and won’t stop until he’s snuggled safely in my arms. There are times when no one else can calm him down, but the minute he’s back in my arms, he collapses in a heap of exhausted energy, wet cheeks, and a relieved smile. And speaking of smiles, his can light up a room! He has his daddy’s smile and while I always knew I was a sucker for that smile, put it on the tiny face of my son, and I melt into the floor.

Oh yes, I realize how incredibly lucky and blessed I am to have both a daughter and a son. And the older Hudson gets, the more I’m relishing and enjoying the differences and experiences they each bring to my life.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

11 comments

Write comments
The Artist
AUTHOR
1:34 PM delete

Maybe our next time around we'll have a boy so I can experience everything you've written about. Zoe acts like Hudson - a walk on the wild side (completely opposite of Haley at that age) so I'm curious to see what a son would act like!

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
AUTHOR
1:59 PM delete

Oh my, the last picture reminds me so much of Jon when he was a little guy!! You are blessed girlie.

Love ya
Colleen

Reply
avatar
HappyMama
AUTHOR
2:03 PM delete

What you described about gotta get everywhere right away and throwing toys sounds a lot like Brooklyn when she was younger. She is still FULL of energy, and always VERY busy, but now she has more of a calmer, softer approach to her toys, especially her dollies. The last picture does remind me a lot of Jon.. how precious your little man is!!!!

Love you, Missy

Reply
avatar
Paula
AUTHOR
5:06 PM delete

I am anxious to see how a little girl behaves. Colton is ALL boy and at FULL force unless he is sleeping.

It is fun to have both.

Reply
avatar
Wendy
AUTHOR
5:18 PM delete

It is wonderful to have boys and girls.

Hudson is SOOO cute!

Reply
avatar
Jami
AUTHOR
5:19 PM delete

Hello. Found your site through someone else and thought I would say hi!!! I'm just getting started blogging so I don't have much at my site yet but feel free to stop by and visit!!!

Reply
avatar
proud parents
AUTHOR
9:14 PM delete

That was so sweet. I hope to experience being the mother of a boy at some point. Of course, I love my little girl. You should really print out these posts and add them to his baby book. You express yourself so well and I am sure he would really enjoy reading these one day.

Reply
avatar
Amy
AUTHOR
8:04 AM delete

At the Idol concert last weekend, the lady in back of us (the one who thought we were 18!!) was telling us how she thinks parents are given just what they need when it comes to the gender of their children. I think it is so true! I've always felt that my heart was designed to be a mama of boys, at this point at least. It sounds like your heart was designed for just this situation! That is so cool! Hudson sounds like Parker, whereas Griffin is more like Devyn. I love how kids are so different. And I love that you're enjoying your boy...he's so cute! love, Amy

Reply
avatar
Christina
AUTHOR
12:43 PM delete

Boys....yep I have 2 and boy oh boy are they boys! lol

Reply
avatar
Liz
AUTHOR
5:23 PM delete

Having both a girl and boy is fun.

Just wait until he tells you, you are the most beautiful mommy... :) I have 2 boys and they both melt my heart. There is more good stuff to come!

Reply
avatar
aggiejenn
AUTHOR
7:39 AM delete

I don't have any experience with girls, but Hudson and Caleb sound just alike! Caleb was a mover from the word "go," and nursing was never a calm, soothing experience. He meant business and was done in 10 minutes tops.

Reply
avatar