Flood Update

Friday, August 03, 2007 5 Comments A+ a-

Update: Oh, its crazy over here in (to borrow a coin phrase) la casa looney toons. A brief summary to catch everyone up on the progress of the "flood" of 2007.

As some will recall, my parents just moved into this house a little over a year ago and is a brand-new build, which is still under warranty of the builder. One of the foremen showed up with another crew member last night around 10:30pm to assess the damage. It was very apparent to them (and obvious to us) that something didn't "work" and they are accepting full responsibility for the damage. They have hired a disaster/catastrophe repair crew and have been at this house since this morning to start the cleaning up process. All of our belongings are currently on my parents driveway as they start mucking out the mud, debris, and water from the basement.

The good news is that they'll be paying to repair or replace everything that was damaged in the flood. Our three main concerns were an antique dresser from Jon's family, a beautiful armoire that we bought as newlyweds, and our computer. (The funny thing is, I had JUST packed up that computer last night before the flood happened and hopefully will still work as it was one of the first things we put up high.) And secondly, this is allowing Jon and I a big break from having to clean up the basement ourselves come moving day. **Thank goodness for small blessings, huh?!** So, hopefully our things (and they are just things) will be good as new soon.

And the books, oh my, I am absolutely floored and humbled by the generous offering of books and gift certificates. Thank you! You have NO idea how much that means to us and I'm teary just thinking about how generous my blogging friends are. I'll admit that not going to sleep until 1:00am and being up by 7:00am (we had our final walk-through of our new house this morning) is playing havoc with my feelings, whenever I think of Devyn's favorite books floating in a box full of water makes me a little sad. But again, they can be replaced. Thanks again everyone! You are all amazing!!

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

5 comments

Write comments
2:01 PM delete

I'm so glad to hear some good news is coming from all of this for you! I was so sorry to read your last post and think of all the things you'd probably lost--including Devyn's books :( I'm glad you'll be able to get things replaced!

Reply
avatar
2:09 PM delete

Let us know what we can do to help! I prayed all this morning at about 7am that God would come through and yet again he did. We would love to help you get some books for the kids....Let us know where you shop for books.
LOVE YOU

Reply
avatar
Liz
AUTHOR
5:16 PM delete

Oh, I am so sory to hear what has happened to your family. I am glad that there is at least a litle bit of good news. I will uphold your family in my prayers. Seems like you all have had a lot going on.

God bless!
Elizabeth

Reply
avatar
Wendy
AUTHOR
5:37 PM delete

Sorry to hear this too. I'm glad you will be able to replace the books. I hope everything else is OK.

Reply
avatar
Jennisa
AUTHOR
8:26 PM delete

Holy moly...I didn't stop over here yesterday, and I missed out on your little flood! Geez...can your life get any more hectic? Hopefully this all will pass soon enough, and the light at the end is your house! HOW EXCITING! It's so close! I can't wait to see photos! hugs...

Reply
avatar